What's new

RT-AX88U can't keep settings through reboots

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cvkef

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Got my RT-AX88U for some time now, flashed with Asuswrt-Merlin after the very first boot.
Everything was fine, I was on 384.19, got AMTM, Diversion, everything working nicely.

Today, a reboot happened and I faced the "Welcome to RT-AX88U" screen that prompts to setup a new network (http://router.asus.com/QIS_wizard.htm?flag=welcome).
I really don't know what's happening. I tried to reset it, I've changed to 386.1_beta1, I even changed to stock Asus firmware.
Every time the router reboots it goes to setup screen. No setting is persisted through reboots.
Any ideas to try out?

Thank you for the guide. I did a full reset and flashed the new 386.1_beta2. Everything works fine again.
Later, I'll attach the USB flash drive for entware and hope it'll still be ok.
For the record, the only thing I've changed to my network a week ago, is that I've hooked a TP-Link PLC. Not really sure if anything nasty happened with the power. I'll hook that after entware.

Before you insert the USB drive into the router, be sure to format it on a PC to NTFS.

Then, follow the amtm Step-by-Step Guide in my signature below to properly set up the drive, the swap file and Entware too.

Just note that you don't need to install amtm anymore. It is installed on RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 or later.

Thank you again. I'll follow your guides and hope nothing weird will happen again.
Btw it would be very nice if I could export/import the LAN > DHCP > Manually Assigned IP configuration. I'm assigning static IPs for most of my devices to keep a bit of tracking. It's a PITA I have to set everything from scratch.

@cvkef, you're welcome.

There are very simple scripts available with a quick search (via RMerlin) that will save that info for you and easily restore it. However, it isn't all honey and gold though; they won't show on your GUI (if I'm remembering correctly). I've never used them myself to restore from, but it is nice to have a record of for my notes for each customer. ;)

Anyway, isn't it part of the fun to set up the router, exactly, as we want? Take the time to do so manually. You deserve it! :)

Btw it would be very nice if I could export/import the LAN > DHCP > Manually Assigned IP configuration.
Like this utility can? :)

Like this utility can? :)
Yes! Thank you very much for this.