What's new

RT-AX88U Intel AX200 WiFi-6 device only uses 20MHz or 160MHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

awn

Occasional Visitor
Introduced in version 386.1. Did not fix with the 386.1_2 patch.

Since updating to 286.1, my computer that has an Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 network card has trouble maintaining a 5 GHz connection with the router. Previously it could.

I've noticed now that either it is stuck on the 2.4 GHz channel at 20MHz or on the 5GHz at 160MHz, nothing inbetween. Every other 5GHz device currently connected to the router is stable on 80MHz. I'm not sure why this device does not anymore.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

In terms of WiFi settings, WiFi 6 enabled, agile multiband enabled, target wake time disabled, 2.4 is 20/40 with auto channel management including 12, 13. 5ghz is 20/40/80/160 with auto channel not inlcuding dfs.

160 MHz Wifi is perfectly stable with my RT-AX88U and an Intel AX200. Check your driver and your environment.

Introduced in version 386.1. Did not fix with the 386.1_2 patch.

Since updating to 286.1, my computer that has an Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 network card has trouble maintaining a 5 GHz connection with the router. Previously it could.

I've noticed now that either it is stuck on the 2.4 GHz channel at 20MHz or on the 5GHz at 160MHz, nothing inbetween. Every other 5GHz device currently connected to the router is stable on 80MHz. I'm not sure why this device does not anymore.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

In terms of WiFi settings, WiFi 6 enabled, agile multiband enabled, target wake time disabled, 2.4 is 20/40 with auto channel management including 12, 13. 5ghz is 20/40/80/160 with auto channel not inlcuding dfs.
Working fine here to, make sure you have latest driver from M-soft 22.30.0.11 (AX200 card) installed via Windows update.

160 MHz Wifi is perfectly stable with my RT-AX88U and an Intel AX200. Check your driver and your environment.

Thanks for the response. It's not just that it won't stay stable on 160MHz, it won't stay persistently connected to the 5GHz band. Again the surprising part is that it used to be able to before this update, I had a strong connection that remained stable and didn't drop. Now my computer is actually closer to the access point than it used to be and I still cannot force it to stay on the 5GHz channel. It pingpongs between them.

Working fine here to, make sure you have latest driver from M-soft 22.30.0.11 (AX200 card) installed via Windows update.

I have the latest drivers installed.

Thanks for the response. It's not just that it won't stay stable on 160MHz, it won't stay persistently connected to the 5GHz band. Again the surprising part is that it used to be able to before this update, I had a strong connection that remained stable and didn't drop. Now my computer is actually closer to the access point than it used to be and I still cannot force it to stay on the 5GHz channel. It pingpongs between them.
Don't use Smart Connect or Roaming Assistant. One of these might be responsible for your client deciding to switch radio due to interference or low RSSI.

After a while the issue has dissapeared and I am seeing connections on the 80MHz channel and connected over 5GHz reliably.