What's new

RT-AX88U Merlin support?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just saw that the Merlin RT-AX88U firmware is now in "release" status. Few questions before I switch:
  • Is AIMesh supported by the Merlin Firmware? I ask as I wasn't able to utilize AIMesh on an RT-AC88U running Merlin Firmware. The option to add an AIMesh node wasn't visible on the Network Map page. I had to switch back to the stock Asus Firmware. I want to utilize AIMesh to resolve the dead spots in our home.
  • I've experienced the WiFi dropping issue with the RT-AX88U stock firmware. I only became aware of the recommended settings changes (static channel, disable Airtime Fairness and Universal/Implicit Beamforming) this morning. Are these the only suggested settings? Is there a page/list of recommenced settings somewhere that I can reference so I can locate all the settings?
  • Should 802.11ac Beamforming also be disabled in addition to Universal/Implicit Beamforming?
  • Looks like I have to disable Smart Connect in order to make the recommended settings changes. Is that correct? My preference is have one SSID rather than two separate 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs.
Thanks in advance!

Just saw that the Merlin RT-AX88U firmware is now in "release" status. Few questions before I switch:
  • Is AIMesh supported by the Merlin Firmware? I ask as I wasn't able to utilize AIMesh on an RT-AC88U running Merlin Firmware. The option to add an AIMesh node wasn't visible on the Network Map page. I had to switch back to the stock Asus Firmware. I want to utilize AIMesh to resolve the dead spots in our home.
  • I've experienced the WiFi dropping issue with the RT-AX88U stock firmware. I only became aware of the recommended settings changes (static channel, disable Airtime Fairness and Universal/Implicit Beamforming) this morning. Are these the only suggested settings? Is there a page/list of recommenced settings somewhere that I can reference so I can locate all the settings?
  • Should 802.11ac Beamforming also be disabled in addition to Universal/Implicit Beamforming?
  • Looks like I have to disable Smart Connect in order to make the recommended settings changes. Is that correct? My preference is have one SSID rather than two separate 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs.
Thanks in advance!
For AC5300 but I guess many things can apply for your router (Disclaimer: I have neither AC5300 nor AX88U, just came across those guides recently :) )

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac5300-performance-security-guide.45710/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac5300-wireless-info-merlin-and-aimesh.47145/

For AC5300 but I guess many things can apply for your router (Disclaimer: I have neither AC5300 nor AX88U, just came across those guides recently :) )

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac5300-performance-security-guide.45710/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac5300-wireless-info-merlin-and-aimesh.47145/

Thanks for the links! I was afraid of this. I'd really like to run Merlin's firmware but without AIMesh it won't work.

Now, to sort out the settings...

No.

You can do the same thing by configuring it as an AP or a Repeater. AiMesh only helps in management.

Ah, got it. Thanks Merlin! I don't really need to actively manage the network once everything is connected. I have been using an AC88U and 86U as the AIMesh nodes connected via LAN to the AX88U. I'll have to sort out how to do all of this as AP/Repeaters...

Thanks for all the hard work!

Ah, got it. Thanks Merlin! I don't really need to actively manage the network once everything is connected. I have been using an AC88U and 86U as the AIMesh nodes connected via LAN to the AX88U. I'll have to sort out how to do all of this as AP/Repeaters...

Thanks for all the hard work!
Or you can do this way:
AX88U - main router running Merlin fw.
(LAN port)
||
||
(LAN port)
AC88U running stock fw - set as Aimesh in AP mode!

And set AC86U to be the node of AC88u.

Also, read all posts in the 2nd link I gave carefully.

Or you can do this way:
AX88U - main router running Merlin fw.
(LAN port)
||
||
(LAN port)
AC88U running stock fw - set as Aimesh in AP mode!

And set AC86U to be the node of AC88u.

Also, read all posts in the 2nd link I gave carefully.

Awesome, thanks! I'll work on this over the weekend.

Set up the network with the AC88U and AC86U as access points this morning. I set all three routers to have the same SSID (don't want to have to actively switch between SSIDs as I move around the house). Interestingly, it appears that the devices connected to the AP routers display as wired connections in the AX88U Network Map.

The AC88U and AC86U Network Maps display all devices as wired connections.

Due to this phenomena I can't see which band most of the devices are connected to anymore. Nor can I tell which router a given device is connected to other than the AX88U wireless connected devices.

Any other reasons this would matter?

BTW, I upgraded to Merlin firmware on all three devices before setting up as access points.

Last edited:
Set up the network with the AC88U and AC86U as access points this morning. I set all three routers to have the same SSID (don't want to have to actively switch between SSIDs as I move around the house). Interestingly, it appears that the devices connected to the AP routers display as wired connections in the AX88U Network Map.

The AC88U and AC86U Network Maps display all devices as wired connections.

Due to this phenomena I can't see which band most of the devices are connected to anymore. Nor can I tell which router a given device is connected to other than the AX88U wireless connected devices.

Any other reasons this would matter?

BTW, I upgraded to Merlin firmware on all three devices before setting up as access points.
I already told you to read all (from first to end) posts in the 2nd link carefully. The perfect solution you want is there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!