What's new

RT-AX88U Merlin support?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How is it with the kernel of the RT-AX88 in terms of supporting Full Cone NAT? Will it remain a exclusive feature on the RT-AC86U or is this new kernel featuring the same options so you will be able to activate Full Cone NAT?

How is it with the kernel of the RT-AX88 in terms of supporting Full Cone NAT? Will it remain a exclusive feature on the RT-AC86U or is this new kernel featuring the same options so you will be able to activate Full Cone NAT?

I haven't specifically checked, but since it also uses 4.1 (4.1.51 instead of 4.1.27) then I would expect it to be the same. Someone else would have to test it however.

Has anyone upgraded form the RT-AC88U to the RT-AX88U and what is the difference in Wan to LAN preformance and adaptive QoS capabilities, as in is adaptive QoS more responsive in comparison?

Has anyone upgraded form the RT-AC88U to the RT-AX88U and what is the difference in Wan to LAN preformance and adaptive QoS capabilities, as in is adaptive QoS more responsive in comparison?

I upgraded. However, I can't comment on your question. What I can say is that I've experience intermittent connectivity to wireless issues. My MacBook Pro will drop its connection to the wireless network. One moment I'm connected, then suddenly I'm disconnected. I have to re-select my wireless network to get reconnected.

I've also noticed the stream drops when streaming a local radio station after a few minutes via the station's app on my iPhone XS Max. I have to kill the app to reconnect.

And, my two Logitech hubs periodically disconnect from the network.

All settings are default. AI Mesh network setup with a RT-AC86U. I have adaptive QoS enabled (optimized for Media Streaming with default settings) and Smart Connect enabled (with default settings - anyone have suggested Smart Connect settings?). AI Protection is enabled.

I have Comcrap (Comcast) gigabit cable internet (no other gigabit internet available where I live). Best connection speed I get is typically between 450-700 Mb/s depending on time of day and traffic levels. I have verified that the LAN speed is ~950/Mbs.

I upgraded. However, I can't comment on your question. What I can say is that I've experience intermittent connectivity to wireless issues. My MacBook Pro will drop its connection to the wireless network. One moment I'm connected, then suddenly I'm disconnected. I have to re-select my wireless network to get reconnected.

I've also noticed the stream drops when streaming a local radio station after a few minutes via the station's app on my iPhone XS Max. I have to kill the app to reconnect.

And, my two Logitech hubs periodically disconnect from the network.

All settings are default. AI Mesh network setup with a RT-AC86U. I have adaptive QoS enabled (optimized for Media Streaming with default settings) and Smart Connect enabled (with default settings - anyone have suggested Smart Connect settings?). AI Protection is enabled.

I have Comcrap (Comcast) gigabit cable internet (no other gigabit internet available where I live). Best connection speed I get is typically between 450-700 Mb/s depending on time of day and traffic levels. I have verified that the LAN speed is ~950/Mbs.

All those wireless problems (at least for me and 2 other users I know) went away with the new Nov.22nd stock FW .5247
Now, we just have to wait for Asus to release GPL and for RMerlin to incorporate it in his next beta (time and development cycle etc allowing) or the very next release 384.9 possibly.

All those wireless problems (at least for me and 2 other users I know) went away with the new Nov.22nd stock FW .5247
Now, we just have to wait for Asus to release GPL and for RMerlin to incorporate it in his next beta (time and development cycle etc allowing) or the very next release 384.9 possibly.

Hmm, I checked this morning and verified I have the most recent firmware and still am having the issues.

Hmm, I checked this morning and verified I have the most recent firmware and still am having the issues.

Do you have problems with both wireless bands? Or just 5GHz like it was in my case. Also, turn off the smart connect, reboot and try again.

Do you have problems with both wireless bands? Or just 5GHz like it was in my case. Also, turn off the smart connect, reboot and try again.
I have tried connecting to 2.4 or 5 GHz bands only. Haven’t really done much of anything to sort this out. Just been too busy.

I too have wireless issues dropping off clients for few sec on both bands in AX-88U since day one. Updating to latest stock firmware 384.5257 hasn't helped. I'm in two minds upgrading my router to Merlin firmware 384.8 beta 2 or should I wait for next one 384.9 which will be based on Asus stock firmware 384.5247.

@RMerlin and @thiggins,

Not to hijack the thread but would it be possible to consolidate certain RT-AX88U threads into one? Considering that it is so early in the life of this router and that all these threads focus primarily on router's performance and Merlin support (which has already been established), I am thinking it may be easier for everyone to follow one thread then multiple of them. This would be similar to ROG GT-AC5300 (Owners) thread.

Not sure how everyone feels about this but if there is enough support to do so I would definitely vote for it.

Thank you for considering!

Not to hijack the thread but would it be possible to consolidate certain RT-AX88U threads into one? Considering that it is so early in the life of this router and that all these threads focus primarily on router's performance and Merlin support (which has already been established), I am thinking it may be easier for everyone to follow one thread then multiple of them. This would be similar to ROG GT-AC5300 (Owners) thread.

There's not really anything to consolidate, this is the only thread discussing my firmware on the RT-AX88U.

I too have wireless issues dropping off clients for few sec on both bands in AX-88U since day one. Updating to latest stock firmware 384.5257 hasn't helped. I'm in two minds upgrading my router to Merlin firmware 384.8 beta 2 or should I wait for next one 384.9 which will be based on Asus stock firmware 384.5247.

Wifi's been rock stable for me so far, running 384.8 Beta 2:

upload_2018-11-30_0-46-44.png

Roomba hasn't disconnected since I last booted the router 21 hoursa go, and Zenpad since it came out of power saving this morning. Phone was disconnected when I went out for lunch earlier today, so it's "only" at 9 hours.

Make sure to apply the usual recommendations: static channel, disable Airtime Fairness and Universal/Implicit Beamforming, etc...

I also had this exact same problem with our new ax-88u. We have five boys who each have an iPhone and several Ipads's in our house. The disconnects would happen randomly. I followed Merlin's advice and disabled Airtime Fairness, Beamforming and made both channels static in my smart connect. Seems like everything connected faster and the signal improved for these clients. I will report back in a week.

Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!