What's new

RT-AX88U Merlin support?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks guys for the suggestion. I'll definitely try disabling Airtime and Beamforming and see if it helps overcome Wifi dropping issue. As for the channels, both has been on static. Also, going to try 384.8 beta2 on the top of stock firmware 384.5247 for added features and functionalities. If there is anything else that I should change in rt-ax88u that you guys feel will help for the better, please let me know.

Also, going to try 384.8 beta2 on the top of stock firmware 384.5247 for added features and functionalities.

Firmware don't run on top of one another, it's either one, or the other. Flashing a firmware completely replace the previous version.

I guess people having random wifi issues are getting hit by this:

Code:
Nov 30 11:55:02 kernel: CONSOLE: 119841.022 wl1: fatal error, reinitializing
Nov 30 11:55:02 kernel: CONSOLE: 119841.022 wl1: fatal error, reinitializing, total count of reinit's[21]
Nov 30 11:55:02 kernel: CONSOLE: 119841.022 wl1: 802.11 reinit reason[0], count[21]

No idea what triggers it, I didn't have any in the previous days, but I got a bunch of them since last night (after rebooting the router with a new firmware).

RMerlin,

Never seen those errors during my wifi issues with stock firmware 384.5247 or previous one. I have yet to flash beta 2 on my router. Did your wifi drop during that error if you know?

One thing I want to confirm that you suggested earlier to me is to disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming, I see there is also Explicit beamforming, do I need to disable it as well? Thanks

I guess people having random wifi issues are getting hit by this:

Code:
Nov 30 11:55:02 kernel: CONSOLE: 119841.022 wl1: fatal error, reinitializing
Nov 30 11:55:02 kernel: CONSOLE: 119841.022 wl1: fatal error, reinitializing, total count of reinit's[21]
Nov 30 11:55:02 kernel: CONSOLE: 119841.022 wl1: 802.11 reinit reason[0], count[21]

No idea what triggers it, I didn't have any in the previous days, but I got a bunch of them since last night (after rebooting the router with a new firmware).

I am so happy that you were able to find it. I didn't experience any problems since .5247 was released and was hoping that once you will get GPL for this FW we all be trouble free (wifi at least) but unfortunately I've got hit with 5GHz disappearing this morning for the first time since 11/22. Nothing in my logs showing anything close to your errors.

Did your wifi drop during that error if you know?

Can't tell for sure, I was not actively using wifi at the same time, and the wireless log seems to indicate that clients did stay connected during those events.

Anyway just in case the log has been sent upstream.

I see there is also Explicit beamforming, do I need to disable it as well? Thanks

Explicit is usually fine because a client must specifically request it, meaning it knows that it can support it.

Havent seen those errors either on all stock firmwares up to now

That was just a theory, it's possible that the reported connectivity issues are different, and my router is reporting something completely different. I'll try a complete electrical reset later tonight.

The error messages completely disappeared after I did a complete power cycle of my router.

The issue I have is if make changes to my 2.4 or 5 WiFi and apply it I lose my 5G WiFi and also lose my 5G WiFi if I reboot form GUI or use the scheduler reboot function.

Normally comes back after 4 hours or more or complete power cycle of my router.

I am on 384.8 beta2.

Very strange in deed

Last edited:
Just flashed 384.8 beta 2 on my AX-88U. Have few questions if someone can answer.

Noticed under VPN custom advanced settings, I'm missing "Respond to DNS", "Push LAN to Clients" & "Direct Clients to Redirect Internet Traffic" which were available in stock firmware. Has anyone encounter any issues with VPN performance or its functionality with these option missing? I see "Compression" options has changed too. Currently it is set to "LZO Adaptive". Which one is better and should be set to?

Under WAN--->NAT Type, came across new feature FullCone & Symmetric. What's the difference between two & which one I should use?

Lastly, is anyone experiencing issues with new feature "Site Survey" under "WiFi Radar". when I click on "Wifi Site Survey", it takes me to another page as shown in the pic. I would pick 5GH, channel and bandwidth, then hit SCAN, it doesn't do anything. I thought it could be my Edge Browser, so tried in Chrome, same result. Also, noticed pic or logo missing next to "Advance Troubleshooting" under "Wifi Radar". Not a big deal though. This Wifi Site Survey page looks different from the one I saw on Asus Merlin "Screenshot" section.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture7.PNG
    Capture7.PNG
    169.5 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Noticed under VPN custom advanced settings, I'm missing "Respond to DNS", "Push LAN to Clients" & "Direct Clients to Redirect Internet Traffic" which were available in stock firmware. Has anyone encounter any issues with VPN performance or its functionality with these option missing? I see "Compression" options has changed too. Currently it is set to "LZO Adaptive". Which one is better and should be set to?

That was changed a few months ago, please review the changelog for details.

Under WAN--->NAT Type, came across new feature FullCone & Symmetric. What's the difference between two & which one I should use?

If you don't know, then stick to the default Symmetric. Fullcone is a special case.

Lastly, is anyone experiencing issues with new feature "Site Survey" under "WiFi Radar". when I click on "Wifi Site Survey", it takes me to another page as shown in the pic. I would pick 5GH, channel and bandwidth, then hit SCAN, it doesn't do anything. I thought it could be my Edge Browser, so tried in Chrome, same result. Also, noticed pic or logo missing next to "Advance Troubleshooting" under "Wifi Radar". Not a big deal though. This Wifi Site Survey page looks different from the one I saw on Asus Merlin "Screenshot" section.

This is Broadcom's own application. Make sure you go to the Settings tab and enable data collection there.

Just flashed 384.8 beta 2 on my AX-88U. Have few questions if someone can answer.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks
Full cone if you are doing alot of gaming as in mostly P2P games like call of duty or GTA v or using Xbox one, or PlayStation 4 consoles even the previous gen consoles, there are probably other things that benifit form it but that's a few examples.

That was changed a few months ago, please review the changelog for details.

If you don't know, then stick to the default Symmetric. Fullcone is a special case.

This is Broadcom's own application. Make sure you go to the Settings tab and enable data collection there.

Got it. Thanks for the reply RMerlin

Guys,

What's the best away to prevent dust going into AX-88U through its ventilation on the top? My router is by the window and can't move it anywhere else due to the Verizon box. I see lot of dust build up on the top of the router and must've been going into that ventilation. This would damage or cause the router to overheat in the long run. Is there anything I can do to make sure dust doesn't go inside other than moving somewhere else? Even if I move it, still it wouldn't make any difference due to the living condition around here. Thanks

Guys,

What's the best away to prevent dust going into AX-88U through its ventilation on the top? My router is by the window and can't move it anywhere else due to the Verizon box. I see lot of dust build up on the top of the router and must've been going into that ventilation. This would damage or cause the router to overheat in the long run. Is there anything I can do to make sure dust doesn't go inside other than moving somewhere else? Even if I move it, still it wouldn't make any difference due to the living condition around here. Thanks

Pretty unavoidable I think, when replacing my AC86U I ended up getting the vacuum out rather then taking it apart to clean it. Did a good job and now looks brand new. I ordered a 80x80x25 fan which should cover the ventilation on the AX88U almost perfectly and I'll add some sort of filter to it.

Adamm,

Is it possible for you to share the link from where you order 80x80x25 fan? Do you place it on the top of ventilation? Also, you mentioned about some filter, which one is good and do you place it along the fan over ventilation or is this something goes inside? Thanks

Considering the RT-AX88U actually runs cooler than previous models, I wouldn't bother with active cooling. It will only increase the amount of dust getting inside, which will ultimately increase internal temperatures.

upload_2018-12-4_11-1-50.png

Mine runs on little bit higher side which is normal I guess due to number of devices connected to my router. At some point, router will needs cleaning from inside. What would you suggest on how to go about doing it without causing any damage to it? Is Vacuum or blower a good option?

Mine runs on little bit higher side which is normal I guess due to number of devices connected to my router. At some point, router will needs cleaning from inside. What would you suggest on how to go about doing it without causing any damage to it? Is Vacuum or blower a good option?

I've never cleaned any of my electronic devices (beside my desktop PC). Very little dust actually gets inside, unless you start using active cooling.

I guess you could try a vacuum. Blowing might not help a lot since it will only push the dust in another corner of your device (as there is no actual "exhaust", unlike for instance a laptop).

K, i'll figure it out what to use to clean up if ever needed in the near future. Thanks RMerlin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!