What's new

RT-AX88U Merlinwrt and suggested add ons

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RenardBleu

New Around Here
Hello,

Based on L&LD 's answer to my previous thread and the links of his profile, I decided to upgrade my router from AC-56U to AX-88U.

I will go trough all the software he describes in his profile. Thanks a lot @L&LD for that :)

Now I d still like more advices, My aim is dropping ads but keeping a low ping (so that my 12 year old wont yell at me)
Are there add ons from those links I should avoid ?
I may want to get diversion try to drop ads from youtube, would this be too intrusive ?
Last point, there are howtos to install PiHole directly on Asus routers, would you recommand it / unrecommand PiHole (if so what would be better) / recommand to have PiHole on the Raspberry Pi I use for Home Assistant ?

Thanks in advance
Best regards,

If you want ad-blocking use either Diversion or Pi-Hole, don't use both. If you use Pi-Hole don't run it on the router.

As for other add-ons my personal recommendation is to not use any unless you have a specific reason to. I can't see the logic of loading down your primary network security device with bloatware "just because you can".

Just my 2 cents... YMMV