What's new

RT-AX88U Wi-Fi Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tommy Grace

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys

Bit of a strange one. Had the RT-AX88U for about 3 months now and it has been great so far but recently (pretty much since upgrading to 3.0.0.4.384_7756) i have had Wi-Fi issues accross both 2.4 and 5Ghz. Basically all wireless connections grind to a halt and i am forced to do a reboot which temporarily fixes the issue. However this seems to be happening more and more frequently now. If i make a change to the wireless config such as a channel change then this seems to resolve the issue temporarily. I have disabled 160Mhz and AX Wi-Fi on the GUI but it still states on the ASUS IOS app that wireless AX is enabled. I have also moved over to a non DFS channel (48) just to see if this makes a difference. My first thoughts were that AX or DFS would likely be the culprit. I am not running Smart Connect and have the Wi-Fi mode set to Auto with fixed channels on both 2.4 and 5Ghz. Seems strange as it has been running fine for a few months. Hoping it is just a firmware issue.

I haven't factory default the unit yet and thought i would ask the question first. Also if you guys have any recommendations on the settings in Professional that would be appreciated. I don't have any AX clients at the moment so it's not needed.

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
Just revert to Version 3.0.0.4.384.6436 and perform factory reset after downgrade. Set it up as new and enjoy peace of mind. Wait till new updated firmware is out which fixes all problems in 7756.
I downgraded to 6436 and couldn't be more happier.

Just revert to Version 3.0.0.4.384.6436 and perform factory reset after downgrade. Set it up as new and enjoy peace of mind. Wait till new updated firmware is out which fixes all problems in 7756.
I downgraded to 6436 and couldn't be more happier.
Thanks. Is a factory reset definitely required after a downgrade?

Thanks. Is a factory reset definitely required after a downgrade?

Recently theres been quite big changes in every new fw release. So yes to both upgrade and downgrade, and whenever you are experiencing any sort of problems...

And this is important: tick the initialize box when you do a factory reset and NEVER read in a backup file, but manually set up the router as it was new...

The only time you should use a backup file is when you've a nice working setup and plan to try out a new fw release. Then you can backup your nice working setup before upgrading, in case you decide to go back to this fw again at a later time.

Hi,

I've been experiencing wifi issues since past few months with both my laptop and android phone on 5G and 2.4G connection. My devices on wifi randomly drops connection, stay down for a minute or two before reconnecting. I've AX88U and it's running latest Merlin Firmware 384.14. I'm seeing this behavior since Firmware 384.13 and continue to this day. I remember never having this issue on 384.12. I searched this forum for solutions, followed every other solutions related to this that I found here and still haven't been able to figure out as to why this has been happening. I checked the system logs and found few entries of deauth_ind in the logs. Attached is the log here. Can someone please look at the logs and suggest something to fix this issue?

Thanks

Attachments

• WIFI-Issue.PNG
    WIFI-Issue.PNG
    298.4 KB · Views: 485
Hi,
Can someone please look at the logs and suggest something to fix this issue?

Thanks

I have probably same problem with wireless connection. Can you check that router is available from device, that dropped connection (admin interface is opens). You can also launch ping from Network Tools to ensure, that WAN connection is working properly.

In my case router is accessible from wifi and ping tool does not shows packet losses, but still from time to time I have huge packet losses (about 30-60 seconds), but after that router is continue to route packets just fine.

Logs in my and yours case does not show anything correlating with these downtimes.

P.s. I have tried downgrading to 384.12, but after reboot and 10 minutes of fine internet issue reappeared as well.

Last edited:
Guys, I have the same problem in combination with my Note 10+ and Ax88u regarding very slow Internet speed connection on the 5ghz AX band. What I did was disable the 160mhz on the 5ghz Band and put it on 80mhz. After that my problem was solved and receiving full internet connection speed 500/500 (fibre).

It does state on the GUI that for any compatibility issues, disable 160Mhz.

It could be a problem, but router is accessible from notebook by wifi (like `ping 192.168.50.1` working perfectly), but `ping 8.8.8.8` fails from time to time. Ping from Network Tools on the router GUI work perfectly also (which is super strange). So my bet - that this is some kind of routing issue inside router.

Guys, I have the same problem in combination with my Note 10+ and Ax88u regarding very slow Internet speed connection on the 5ghz AX band. What I did was disable the 160mhz on the 5ghz Band and put it on 80mhz. After that my problem was solved and receiving full internet connection speed 500/500 (fibre).
I already have 160mhz disabled and 5Ghz is on 80mhz channel 44. Even changing to different channel except DFS ones didn't help either. Would you be able to share your Wireless settings under Professional tab for both 2.4 and 5ghz here? I would like to compare yours with mine and see if something is different. Thanks

I have probably same problem with wireless connection. Can you check that router is available from device, that dropped connection (admin interface is opens). You can also launch ping from Network Tools to ensure, that WAN connection is working properly.

In my case router is accessible from wifi and ping tool does not shows packet losses, but still from time to time I have huge packet losses (about 30-60 seconds), but after that router is continue to route packets just fine.

Logs in my and yours case does not show anything correlating with these downtimes.

P.s. I have tried downgrading to 384.12, but after reboot and 10 minutes of fine internet issue reappeared as well.
Yes, I can access router from my devices and ping as well. Don't see any packet losses during continuous ping. I mentioned this before that I never had wifi dropping on 384.12 version. It all started with the .13 and continue to do so. No change as far as wireless settings goes, its same. I don't know what else I can try or look for to get over this issue.

@Jugnu you could post your settings so others can compare to, too. :)

You may get more and faster responses that way.

I already have 160mhz disabled and 5Ghz is on 80mhz channel 44. Even changing to different channel except DFS ones didn't help either. Would you be able to share your Wireless settings under Professional tab for both 2.4 and 5ghz here? I would like to compare yours with mine and see if something is different. Thanks
Unfortunately the problems occur again after 2 days, so it didn't helped. Annoying.

@Jugnu you could post your settings so others can compare to, too. :)

You may get more and faster responses that way.
Sure. Attached is my 5GHZ Professional settings. Pls check and let me know if somethings not correct.

Attachments

• 5GHZ-1.PNG
    5GHZ-1.PNG
    29.2 KB · Views: 484
  • 5GHZ-2.PNG
    5GHZ-2.PNG
    112.5 KB · Views: 454
Sure. Attached is my 5GHZ Professional settings. Pls check and let me know if somethings not correct.
This is a long shot but perhaps worth trying to prevent multicast storms.
In LAN --> IPTV enable IGMP proxy
In Wireless --> Professional enable IGMP snooping
The history of these settings is that they can improve, make no difference or make things worse depending upon the quality of the IGMP implementations on the router and clients. I am guessing that Asus has a reasonably good implementation. I leave both of these enabled on my router.

Unfortunately the problems occur again after 2 days, so it didn't helped. Annoying.

I would say to check with someon
This is a long shot but perhaps worth trying to prevent multicast storms.
In LAN --> IPTV enable IGMP proxy
In Wireless --> Professional enable IGMP snooping
The history of these settings is that they can improve, make no difference or make things worse depending upon the quality of the IGMP implementations on the router and clients. I am guessing that Asus has a reasonably good implementation. I leave both of these enabled on my router.
I've enabled both options as per ur suggestion. Let's see if it works out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!