What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well they finally got back to me and told me "We aren't able to replicate it" and then said "Don't use port 443 to host websites on".. Sigh.. literally provided them packet captures and everything. It's so simple to replicate. Should also say it doesn't just affect 443. It affects all ports when QoS is on it would seem.

Last edited:
Hello dear forum users. Please tell me for what is the photo in the photo? And what can be connected to it?

Attachments

• 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 138
Hello dear forum users. Please tell me for what is the photo in the photo? And what can be connected to it?
That appears to be a USB debugging header where if you brick it you can connect to it directly and flash it without needing the router to come fully up. It's like a last ditch recovery port.

Serial TTL port, for debugging.

Does anyone know anyway to talk directly to Asus networking people? The front line support has now said it's the ports I'm using and when I proved that wrong, it's my ISP and when I proved that wrong, they now claim a hardware issue.. in asked why it works perfectly fine when you turn qos off and I figure I'm going to get another bs answer. It's very frustrating cause it's obviously a software bug. I feel like the proper people aren't engaged.

hello. i must shutdown the qos too, because if i enable de qos, i cant use my ddns to my local services.
i will open a issue tomorrow, because you are right, this is a software issue.
And other bug. if I power of the router by unplug the power. when it power on, its enable the qos by default

The latest firmware is very unstable. Rolled back to the penultimate one. Those who wrote it have their hands growing out of their asses.

The latest firmware is very unstable. Rolled back to the penultimate one. Those who wrote it have their hands growing out of their asses.
What problems are you having?
My own experience with 2 RT AX89X in a mesh node with the current firmware has been good with over 65 devices, with 5 hard wired connection.
I have seen no issues with hand off of iPads between nodes, Wemo switches, IP cameras and Nest camera/thermostats that I saw with the prior release.
I am also able to hold a vpn connection for over 2 weeks
In fact since installing the update the only power cycle or reset required was due to a bad isp modem failure

Still getting nowhere with ASUS and the QoS bug. They basically don't even seem like anyone with network experience is listening. They just keep throwing out random nonsense like "your isp isn't compatible with our QoS" and "it's a hardware problem send it back" and other nonsense like that. I can literally replicate it over and over but they claim they can't. Literally, WAN ip:4431 -> lanip:80 -> nginx instance hosting literally the "welcome to nginx" repeating over and over. From the LAN connect to WAN IP:4431 QoS offloads in 4 seconds or less. QoS on over 10 minutes before I stopped the test. Turn it off 4 seconds. On "a long time" I stopped the test after 3-4 minutes. They claim they can't replicate it.

It's so freaken frustrating >_<.. I don't see how it can be a hardware bug if you can simply turn QoS off and magic it works properly again.

hey experts users, i can buy AX89X with gift coupons.

Is it a good idea to do so with 6E becoming widespread in 2022?

Can we 'upgrade' AX89X wtih a 6E mesh router or AP, when things settle and we can score a deal?
Just wired mesh one to its 10Gbe port and start broadcasting 6E ftw!?

And besides that 6E routers using QCM 1210 Pro Platform, which seemed to use the same SOC base as AX89X 1200 Pro Platform

Welcome to the forums @danceedance.

If your goal is to have a WiFi 6E network, no, it is not a good idea to buy a router that doesn't support 6E (even with gift cards).

You can mishmash devices together in your network after the fact, but your network won't be (fully) 6E capable until you have all 6E equipment everywhere (and exclusively).

The router you want today is the Asus GT-AXE11000.

But this isn't a recommendation at this point, this is simply matching the specifications, with your wants. ;)

Thanks LD. Sadly the gift coupons are not entitled to new 6E routers. Haha yes we are helping to move out old 6 stocks.

Of them all, it seems AX89X has the most potential to upgrade with future 6E. The other clearance router RAX120 has only 5Gbe port, but it has more flash memory, if that matters.

My internet will only be 1Gb for a long time. As for clients, we realise, the replacements take place naturally with new models of phones and tablets and laptops and consoles. It seems these are the main players that move us to new Wifi standards like flow in a river.

Don't forget you always have another option too. To 'wait'. :)

Or sell your old equipment to partially offset the cost of the 'real' new equipment you want.

Sometimes getting the best deal is the (only) end goal, but it rarely matches the expectations we get in our heads for the actual equipment we get in hand by doing so (i.e. getting the best deal).

I definitely do not see the RT-AX89X as a gateway (no pun intended) to a WiFi 6E network.

Of them all, it seems AX89X has the most potential to upgrade with future 6E.
Existing routers cannot be upgraded to Wifi 6E. The device has to be manufactured, tested, and sold as Wifi 6E from the start.

Existing routers cannot be upgraded to Wifi 6E. The device has to be manufactured, tested, and sold as Wifi 6E from the start.

This means even if we do a 10Gbe wired back haul to a 6E AP, the 6E AP wont be recognised, not even broadcasting just 6 signals?

What dark arts is this evils...lack of backward compat. :(

A 6E AP doesn't need a 10GbE backhaul to operate in 6E mode.

But the rest of the network still isn't 6E.

Don't forget that the hardware and (RF) design is from over 2 years ago, as is the SDK it's based on.

To me, today, that spells to avoid this model if you're interested in the next generation ones.

Also, don't forget that WiFi 7 will be here soon too. Then, those gift cards will have seem wasted...

This means even if we do a 10Gbe wired back haul to a 6E AP, the 6E AP wont be recognised, not even broadcasting just 6 signals?

What dark arts is this evils...lack of backward compat. :(
I was referring to the Wifi capabilities of the RT-AX89X. It won't get "upgraded" to Wifi 6e in the future. Still, nothing prevents you from connecting external Wifi 6E APs however.

Of them all, it seems AX89X has the most potential to upgrade with future 6E
If using external Wifi 6E APs, then the main router is rather irrelevant there. Wifi 6E won't do much to increase throughput (unless you were to start using 160 MHz channel, in which case you might get barely above 1 Gbps in throughput).

Here we go!

Well, I'm back in the RT-AX89X Owners Club. It's located upstairs in my office and I re-purposed my GT-AX11000 as an AiMesh node downstairs using wired backhaul to the 2.5 gig port of the 11000. I have a 10 gig switch upstairs and downstairs, with the downstairs unit handling my NAS and media center. Everything is working great so far! The AX89X is hardware version A2 and it's running cool.

I just got the AX89x for 30% off msrp. new box rev B1 made in 2021.

The 70mm fan has slight buzz in auto mode stays around 1800rpm, at open room temp of 28c. never got higher or lower.

Have not touched the 10Gbe or Aiprotect or Qos, but quick router performance check with 4 LAN (pc, external ssd, shieldtv, ps5) , 4 AX160, 1 AC80 and 2 N20 devices running, very stable.
The reported CPU temps never rose, maybe 1-2C, cant tell from their graphics. RAM stays around 40% used.
But i think the real measurement is each SOC temps of the antennas but those are not reportable.

CPU usage goes very heavy if i turn on QOS/Game mode. From google, the QCM NPU does the regular routing, turning QOS move the load to the CPU,

A suggestion to Asus is to have the temp reporting in same place as the system status.
For reasons, every settings change in AX89X takes 10-30s for savings. Not fun tweaking.

2 days on, i think this model is good over my old AC3100.
The 5ghz range is not as good as i hoped for. The 2.4ghz range to the 2 N20 is stronger than AC3100.

My social media app loads photos and media while scrolling, youtube hover view works, all while i ran the above concurrent streams to the router.
The AC3100 would not auto load or buffers when hit with such streams, made me upgrade.

AX89X still has UL/DL OFDMA + MUMIMO on 160mhz mode.
using wifiman app, it shows 1200/1200 ul and 1200/1200 dl on AX160 mode, and also a max phy of 7686mbps. Anything special to note here?
interesting because of QCM use of 8x8 80mhz, i think this is done through channels bonding? Because once i enabled 160mhz only, the number of channels available dropped. My AC80 device still connects even with 160mhz only.

I also get this reading from the AX89X for AX200, does it mean 4K-QAM is working?

rjMJQLp.png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!