What's new

RT AX92U firmware upgrade drops connections frequently

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

esfu

Regular Contributor
It appears that RT AX92U firmware has been auto upgraded to 3.0.0.4.388_22525 in past couple of days and it drops connections frequently on the AI Mesh node, particularly on guest network.

Anyone having similar problems and how to resolve the same

What are the major advantages of 388_22525

Sorry, I don’t run AIMesh or Guest networks anymore. So I can’t be of much help with your observations.

Lost my 2.5 mhz guest network last night, after two days with 388_22525. I'm dropping back to 386_46061 firmware for now. It's an irritation as the guest network supported most of the smart lights and plugs in the house...

Haven't noticed any connection drops on my regular 2.5, 5G or 6E. I have RT-AX92Us aiMesh setup, with a hard wired backhaul between them.

After upgrading to _22525, about two days later, one of the smart devices on that network dropped. I had to unplug/replug it (it's a sump level monitor). It does rarely disconnect randomly every now and then so I can't confirm this was firmware-upgrade-specific.

One other device on the guest network that is very finicky has not dropped in the few days since I upgrade, however.

Lost my 2.5 mhz guest network last night, after two days with 388_22525. I'm dropping back to 386_46061 firmware for now. It's an irritation as the guest network supported most of the smart lights and plugs in the house...

Haven't noticed any connection drops on my regular 2.5, 5G or 6E. I have RT-AX92Us aiMesh setup, with a hard wired backhaul between them.
This happens only on guest network to which smart cameras are connected. Not on the regular network from what I have observed.

If anybody has any resolution or workaround to it, I will appreciate it. I have not yet reverted back to 386 though.

Benefits of 388_22525 if anyone has any specific experience of them, it will be appreciated if you can share them.

I bought a GT-AXE11000 and a pair of RT-AX92U's yesterday, and immediately updated the AXE11000 to 388.1 (RMerlin) and the new 388.x release (Official) for the two AX92U's to use them as AIMesh nodes.

I spent all this morning seeing both mesh nodes drop in and out seemingly at random. One of the is using Ethernet backhaul and the other wireless. I considered updating to 388.2 alpha1 (RMerlin) on the router, but eventually just dropped both of the mesh nodes back to 386_46061. Since then, wireless has been stable. I'll hold back updating the mesh nodes again until the next stable RMerlin release for the AXE1100. After all, I'd imagine all of the testing for 388.1 (Official and Merlin) will have been done against the 386.x build for these models, so it'll take time for everything to coalesce.

So we finally got the update. Also interested to see how people get on with this.

As it's been so long, it's probably a good idea to do a clean upgrade?

This happens only on guest network to which smart cameras are connected. Not on the regular network from what I have observed.

If anybody has any resolution or workaround to it, I will appreciate it. I have not yet reverted back to 386 though.

Benefits of 388_22525 if anyone has any specific experience of them, it will be appreciated if you can share them.

FYI. I don't have my smart cameras attached to my guest network, only smart plugs and thermostat were attached...

Yeah, one of my 92u mesh nodes has been dropping in and out since the upgrade. My kids were asking me what’s going on with the WiFi and when I looked at the topography on the app I could see the node go offline and then come back. I ended up taking that node out of the mesh network for now and replaced it with an older AC 1900p I had lying around…

Yeah, one of my 92u mesh nodes has been dropping in and out since the upgrade. My kids were asking me what’s going on with the WiFi and when I looked at the topography on the app I could see the node go offline and then come back. I ended up taking that node out of the mesh network for now and replaced it with an older AC 1900p I had lying around…
Could you try downgrading to 3.0.0.4.386_46061 and retesting? For what it's worth, I did a dirty downgrade and it's been working on both my 92U's since with no issues or drops. The only other suggestion I could give would be to possibly try using Gnuton's Merlin 388.1 port to the 92U and see if that fixes things up: https://gnuton.github.io/asuswrt-merlin.ng/

Thanks for the suggestions. Yesterday I did the factory reset and then re-added the unit back to my mesh as a 4th node. Seems to be working fine now, though I’ll monitor for a bit before I declare victory… I decided not to roll the firmware back…

Thanks for the suggestions. Yesterday I did the factory reset and then re-added the unit back to my mesh as a 4th node. Seems to be working fine now, though I’ll monitor for a bit before I declare victory… I decided not to roll the firmware back…
Hey. Did the factory reset on the Asus 388 branch eventually work out for you?
I decided to roll on to 388.1.gnuton1 (Merlin-fork) for the 2 x AX92U AI mesh nodes I run with my AXE11000 router. The mesh node I have connected via ethernet backhaul seems to be fine, though the 5hz backhauled mesh node is dropping out after a couple of hours and is regularly deauth/reauthing. Seems to be the same issue as previously.

The one node that was giving me trouble actually ended up dying. The hardware seems to have an issue. The other 92u node is on 388.1 and is working just fine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!