What's new

RT-AX92u manual settings for stable wireless connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So far, so good. I had one station with a bunch of errors that were filling up the system log. That device has been rebooted and system log cleared so I can see what happens going forward.

Thanks, I'll hold off a little bit just to make sure!

For anyone watching this thread. Asus released 3.0.0.4.384_9177 the other day. I've been testing it for a few weeks and can attest that it fixes the ring buffer error that's been causing so many issues. I've been running my AX92s with default settings for several weeks without a single crash. You should be able to load it and set everything back to how you want it.

For anyone watching this thread. Asus released 3.0.0.4.384_9177 the other day. I've been testing it for a few weeks and can attest that it fixes the ring buffer error that's been causing so many issues. I've been running my AX92s with default settings for several weeks without a single crash. You should be able to load it and set everything back to how you want it.

Appreciated Derek!
I'll change mine tonight.

Quick question, i have the ax92u and want to use it with wifi6 with my iphone11 pro. But the connections on 5g-2 is slow and loading is slow, when using 5g-1 channel everything is super fast.
I use the latest firmware (but also previous versions gives the same slow experience) also did a factory reset after the firmware update. Using default settings (although I changed some stuff but didnt matter).

anyone an idea what the problem is? I see in the wireless log my phone is connected with AX and my laptop with AC (also my macbook gives slow responses)

Hello, so far I did not manage to run wifi 6 on this routers in any reliable way. I don't think that the current firmwares would support this, maybe with some hacks and manual settings. But out of the box this router seems not able to provide any meaningful wifi 6 support.
As a wifi 5 router it is pretty decent, can reach 800-900mbps for me.

I'm running with wifi 6 perfectly fine on my S10 and my wife's s10e. I have one AX92u with smart connect triband mode and am using it as a router.

I can confirm this, mine has been running for more than 4 days without any issues.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I recently set up my own AX92u set. When aimesh is active and with a wired backhaul, you cannot use the Wifi 6 band automatically.
That is frustrating as that prevents the benefit of having a mesh network from incorperating wifi 6 for devices. It will only use it as a backhaul channel.

The only way I can use it in a mesh setup is to manually seperate the wifi networks and make the SSID visible. Seems to me that this defeats the purpose of having a mesh network if one channel needs to be completely seperate in order to function.
And my devices prefer the non-wifi 6 band automatically unfortunately.

I've been in touch with ASUS support and they acknowledge this frustration, but offer no real solution. It seems this is software related and whenver aimesh is set up and wifi 6 can be used as a backhaul channel, it will default to it.

Are there any solutions that come up to have a mesh network with the benefit of wifi 6 for my supported devices?

I've read that it might a better option to manually set up both routers to roam with Mu-Mimo where one functions as a router and the other is an AP.
But I have tried this, without much succes. Whenever I try to set up my second router, it never allows me to set it up any differently than a router. Thus it's always expecting connection with a WAN port.
Perhaps I'm doing something in that aspect. I use the android app to set up the router as my laptop has no LAN port.

Might be a bit much all at once, but I'm just looking to have a functioning network that supports Wifi 6. I know that this might be solved if this router ends up getting Merlin firmware support. I have no clue if that will happen eventually of course.

Asus confirmed that this issue is indeed isolated only the the AX92U set. The third band is always reserved as a backhaul and cannot be used as a mesh solution for other devices.
Manual connection works, but goes against the mesh setup and won't get a preferred connection.

Another combination of Asus routers would not have this issue. Which raises the point of what the benefit would be of a tri-band system vs a dual-band.
And considering the imminent announcement on IFA of Wifi 6E routers, I'm not certain what to do here.

I could return the setup and get a different combination. I could keep it and live with the issue. Or I could return it and wait for newer technologies to get released.

Does anyone know what happens if you add any other router as a node with two AX92U's? I wonder if a router that does support an AX channel would then work in a mesh setup.
More a thing I can consider in the future, but good to know how this would work.

Hi, can anyone confirm that it's impossible to use the RT-AX92U's Wi-Fi 6 band with end devices if you use AIMesh? It's reserved solely for backhaul? With a 160 MHz channel and 4x4, the theoretical link to my RT-AX86U would be 3-4 gbps which is way more than I need, so I have no issue sharing this band with client devices even if it cuts the end-point bandwidth by 50%, it's still more than enough to max out my internet connection, and that way the clients get Wi-Fi 6. But it seems like AIMesh always defaults to using the ax band as backhaul and the ac band for clients. I can get an RT-AX92U for relatively cheap to use as an AIMesh node, but I want to have Wi-Fi 6 on client devices. And I'd rather not use it in repeater mode and separate the SSIDs, that wouldn't work for my setup.

My guess is this is why this router is EOL because it uses this weird split ax and ac setup and the ac band is only 2x2 and doesn't even support 1024-QAM. So you're getting an amazing backhaul but only 2x2 ac speeds for the clients. Granted, that's still ~400 mbps real world, but why not use Wi-Fi 6 if you can still max out your internet speed even without a dedicated backhaul. Asus could fix this with a firmware update where the router uses the backhaul band for end-devices too if it's above a certain PHY link speed, but... I highly doubt they'll do that.

Come to think of it, it's almost better to just get an RT-AX82U as an AIMesh node to guarantee client use of Wi-Fi 6. I mean if your backhaul link is ~3 gbps theoretical (about 60% signal strength), the real-world link speed would be ~1.2 gbps. Then that would get cut by half to the end-user because of signal repeating, so you're still pushing 600 mbps over Wi-Fi 6 as long as you don't position the router too far. If you could just turn off the ac 5 GHz band on the RT-AX92U and still use it in AIMesh, it would be a better router.

Last edited:
Hi, can anyone confirm that it's impossible to use the RT-AX92U's Wi-Fi 6 band with end devices if you use AIMesh? It's reserved solely for backhaul? With a 160 MHz channel and 4x4, the theoretical link to my RT-AX86U would be 3-4 gbps which is way more than I need, so I have no issue sharing this band with client devices even if it cuts the end-point bandwidth by 50%, it's still more than enough to max out my internet connection, and that way the clients get Wi-Fi 6. But it seems like AIMesh always defaults to using the ax band as backhaul and the ac band for clients. I can get an RT-AX92U for relatively cheap to use as an AIMesh node, but I want to have Wi-Fi 6 on client devices. And I'd rather not use it in repeater mode and separate the SSIDs, that wouldn't work for my setup.

My guess is this is why this router is EOL because it uses this weird split ax and ac setup and the ac band is only 2x2 and doesn't even support 1024-QAM. So you're getting an amazing backhaul but only 2x2 ac speeds for the clients. Granted, that's still ~400 mbps real world, but why not use Wi-Fi 6 if you can still max out your internet speed even without a dedicated backhaul. Asus could fix this with a firmware update where the router uses the backhaul band for end-devices too if it's above a certain PHY link speed, but... I highly doubt they'll do that.

Come to think of it, it's almost better to just get an RT-AX82U as an AIMesh node to guarantee client use of Wi-Fi 6. I mean if your backhaul link is ~3 gbps theoretical (about 60% signal strength), the real-world link speed would be ~1.2 gbps. Then that would get cut by half to the end-user because of signal repeating, so you're still pushing 600 mbps over Wi-Fi 6 as long as you don't position the router too far. If you could just turn off the ac 5 GHz band on the RT-AX92U and still use it in AIMesh, it would be a better router.

The latest firmware enables use of wifi6 for clients even if using wifi6 as backhaul for AiMesh. I think it was released sometime in October. Checkout the firmware's release notes.

Where did you see that the AX92 has been EOL'd?

Last edited:
The latest firmware enables use of wifi6 for clients even if using wifi6 as backhaul for AiMesh. I think it was released sometime in October. Checkout the firmware's release notes.

Where did you see that the AX92 has been EOL'd?

Is this for both the main router and the nodes? I don't see mention of this in the firmware notes for the October update. There's a mention of ethernet backhaul freeing up all bands (how wasn't this a thing already), but nothing about the ax band being made available to clients connected to nodes.

Maybe it hasn't been EOLed and I'm sure it'll be supported for a long time, but it's no longer listed on Asus' router page and there doesn't seem to be much new stock. I think they're phasing it out in favor of Wi-Fi 6 only routers.

Is this for both the main router and the nodes? I don't see mention of this in the firmware notes for the October update. There's a mention of ethernet backhaul freeing up all bands (how wasn't this a thing already), but nothing about the ax band being made available to clients connected to nodes.

Maybe it hasn't been EOLed and I'm sure it'll be supported for a long time, but it's no longer listed on Asus' router page and there doesn't seem to be much new stock. I think they're phasing it out in favor of Wi-Fi 6 only routers.

This is for both main router and node. Here's how to configure the AX92U to use wifi6 as AiMesh backhaul and make wifi6 available to clients: https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1043439#a2

Also, I still see the AX92U in Asus web site:

Asus has them in stock: https://store.asus.com/us/item/202005AM280000004

Retailers that have them in stock: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/AiMesh-AX6100-WiFi-System-RT-AX92U-2-Pack/wheretobuy/

No mention of EOL'd.

Last edited:
This is for both main router and node. Here's how to configure the AX92U to use wifi6 as AiMesh backhaul and make wifi6 available to clients: https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1043439#a2

Also, I still see the AX92U in Asus web site:

Asus has them in stock: https://store.asus.com/us/item/202005AM280000004

Retailers that have them in stock: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/AiMesh-AX6100-WiFi-System-RT-AX92U-2-Pack/wheretobuy/

No mention of EOL'd.

Thanks. The instructions seem to only apply when an RT-AX92U is the main router. What if you have say an RT-AX86U as the main router and an RT-AX92U as the node (or 2 of them as nodes). You can't control their bands or anything once you add them as nodes and the RT-AX86U only has a single 5 GHz band. Will clients connected to the nodes still get Wi-Fi 6?

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, do you know what channels are available for the RT-AX92U's ac 2x2 5 GHz band? Is it the same ones as the 4x4 ax band?

And you're right, it's not EOL. But it is not listed here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless-Routers-Products/

Maybe that's just a mistake.

Somewhat off-topic question, but what happens if you set up the RT-AX92U as a repeater with a non-Asus main router? Will it automatically hide the backhaul band?

It may or may not hide it. But it would be a waste of the third radio in either case.

I looked into this option when initially setting up my AX92u's. However, I couldn't get 160Mhz to work reliably.

Whilst the AC band is only 2x2, it still effortlessly puts out 500mb/s which is more than enough and faster than a lot of the other meshes on the market.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!