What's new

RT-AX92U still on 3.0.0.4.386.46061 since januari '22. Did Asus really stopped supporting this model ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First, the RT-AX92U is over 3 years old. Second, Asus is working on the next level of firmware (388.xx) for all their models.

Be patient. Good things are coming.

With 'not even security fixes' firmware being issued, that means there weren't any that are critical.

It's 3y old but it's still being sold at a price premium and has issues with guest networks that were solved in newer FW on other models. It's painful to watch much older and cheaper models getting more regular support than this model.

I'm a patient person in general but regarding this lack of support I really am getting frustrated. I invested in 8 of them and Im regretting so much doing so...

That's a lot of wifi nodes. Any performance issues with the current firmware?

It's a huge house with several floors and very thick walls and floors that hugely limits wifi signal propagation.

No performance issues but guest networks have lots of issues with them not having access to the internet sometimes.

No performance issues but guest networks have lots of issues with them not having access to the internet sometimes.

I think one cause of this for some clients is configuring guest WLANs for WPA2/WPA3... I've had to step back to using WPA2 only to avoid this.

OE

First, the RT-AX92U is over 3 years old. Second, Asus is working on the next level of firmware (388.xx) for all their models.

Be patient. Good things are coming.

With 'not even security fixes' firmware being issued, that means there weren't any that are critical.
3 years old with 2/3 of a year without update. And assuming that there are no critical security updates within 8 months ? Are you serious ? And indeed, why have had other even older models regular updates in the same timeframe also because of the many bugs reported in this forum ? I've invested a lot of money in this system and I expect a minimum servicelevel. This is far below.

3 years old with 2/3 of a year without update. And assuming that there are no critical security updates within 8 months ? Are you serious ? And indeed, why have had other even older models regular updates in the same timeframe also because of the many bugs reported in this forum ? I've invested a lot of money in this system and I expect a minimum servicelevel. This is far below.

As LLD originally said, the lack of updates is most likely linked to ASUS making the transition to 388. In addition, this wifi router looks to be primarily geared at serving as a mesh node. Mesh nodes don't run all the network control services, so ASUS may not be putting in as much effort to frequently update the firmware. Since you are using it as mesh nodes, and if your mesh is working well, I'm not sure I'd be concerned about a lack of recent updates, especially since some of the recent firmware updates have caused mesh node problems rather than improving things.

Your GT-AX11000 is the one that will benefit more from updates, and those have been coming out.

As the AX92U is a Tri-band router, I was interested in it.

But in Australia and Singapore, nobody is carrying it anymore.

Lack of updates could mean that it has already gone EOL.

3 years old from announcement or availability?

6 months between announcement and availability is annoying.

As LLD originally said, the lack of updates is most likely linked to ASUS making the transition to 388. In addition, this wifi router looks to be primarily geared at serving as a mesh node. Mesh nodes don't run all the network control services, so ASUS may not be putting in as much effort to frequently update the firmware. Since you are using it as mesh nodes, and if your mesh is working well, I'm not sure I'd be concerned about a lack of recent updates, especially since some of the recent firmware updates have caused mesh node problems rather than improving things.

Your GT-AX11000 is the one that will benefit more from updates, and those have been coming out.
But there lies the main issue. It doesn't work well as mesh node since it has some bugs with guest networks that were fixed in other much older routers (like the rt-ac68u). There's no excuse, it's an expensive router so they must present a support at least in the ball park of other much cheaper models and not take 9 months without any updates. The frustration is totally justified in my opinion.

No updates this year since January, and even that version didn't fix guest network problems that were introduced in June of 2021. The device includes support for WAN multi-link, VPN, file server, etc. so saying that it is "just a mesh node" does not quite mesh with reality. All of that said, I will note that the comment earlier about WPA3 vs WPA2 caught my eye; I will have to check that out and see if it addresses any of my problems.

No updates this year since January, and even that version didn't fix guest network problems that were introduced in June of 2021. The device includes support for WAN multi-link, VPN, file server, etc. so saying that it is "just a mesh node" does not quite mesh with reality. All of that said, I will note that the comment earlier about WPA3 vs WPA2 caught my eye; I will have to check that out and see if it addresses any of my problems.
Alas, I had already moved to WPA2/Personal, so no relief there.

Yeah, the support for this model is completely garbage. After such a huge investment in this ecosystem saying that I'm super regretful is an understatement. I've been an Asus routers user since the RT-n66u era and was accustomed with regular updates unlike other brands such as netgear and other comparable brands. But they have been constantly dropping the ball by dropping support for some routers at random and some that still have support have only updates in huge intervals of time so they are honestly no better than netgear and others.

I'm seriously considering selling all my devices on the second-hand market and go for a unify ecosystem that is much more feature rich and has decent updates (sometimes they do have duds in their updates but at least they give proper constant support).

Some people may consider this whining but put yourself in my position: I have a guest network that doesn't work properly and I need that guest network and much much older devices like the rt-ac68u got a proper fix for that many months ago. How can I not be frustrated by this? This is how you lose loyalty and thrust and will ultimately result in losing customers.

Yeah, the support for this model is completely garbage. After such a huge investment in this ecosystem saying that I'm super regretful is an understatement. I've been an Asus routers user since the RT-n66u era and was accustomed with regular updates unlike other brands such as netgear and other comparable brands. But they have been constantly dropping the ball by dropping support for some routers at random and some that still have support have only updates in huge intervals of time so they are honestly no better than netgear and others.

I'm seriously considering selling all my devices on the second-hand market and go for a unify ecosystem that is much more feature rich and has decent updates (sometimes they do have duds in their updates but at least they give proper constant support).

Some people may consider this whining but put yourself in my position: I have a guest network that doesn't work properly and I need that guest network and much much older devices like the rt-ac68u got a proper fix for that many months ago. How can I not be frustrated by this? This is how you lose loyalty and thrust and will ultimately result in losing customers.
Totally agree. I have my hopes on Merlin now ( Support for RT-AX92U · Issue #236 · gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng · GitHub), but feel like selling and switching also.

I've been keeping an eye on that project but being a spinoff from merlin's FW I'm not sure how gnuton is going to be committed to it. I trust merlin a lot because he keeps going after all these years (even when people complain about stupid stuff) but gnuton is new on the scene for me to have faith in that project.

I've been keeping an eye on that project but being a spinoff from merlin's FW I'm not sure how gnuton is going to be committed to it. I trust merlin a lot because he keeps going after all these years (even when people complain about stupid stuff) but gnuton is new on the scene for me to have faith in that project.
Gnuton has been doing this for over four years already. He's not really that new to the scene.

At the moment there is no declared vulnerability for the router (cve). So don't panic. I also think we are working on version 388 although the new features it brings are already present in the current version apart from WireGuard VPN. For my part, the router is ultra stable, then I only have one router.

Gnuton has been doing this for over four years already. He's not really that new to the scene.
Went to check and yeah, he really is on this for some time already. That gives me more confidence that the FW will be kept being updated. (I have to try it to see if it solves my issues once I have time to test it on my mesh network).

At the moment there is no declared vulnerability for the router (cve). So don't panic. I also think we are working on version 388 although the new features it brings are already present in the current version apart from WireGuard VPN. For my part, the router is ultra stable, then I only have one router.
I just ask for the damned guest network to work as it should lol.

The range of the AX92u is incredible. It really will be a shame if they EOL this model.

It's been nice having a WiFi setup that just works without any issues.

A good firmware upgrade for this model would be to make it easier to share the backhaul channel without having to do the tri mode trick.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!