What's new

RT-AX92U still on 3.0.0.4.386.46061 since januari '22. Did Asus really stopped supporting this model ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Below is the response I received from APAC support on August 17th 2022
LpEWn6o.jpg

Perhaps someone should try contacting ASUS support from other regions to try?

Wait for official Asus firmware. It will be available on Asus support page. The link is not working because the thread was removed.

That is not how I read the replies you were given in that deleted thread.

That is not how I read the replies you were given in that deleted thread.

have you read the one telling me russian? or the one telling 0 trust on my upload and telling me I must explain where it comes (I alredy wrote a changelog, what he wants? a payment on his bank account also?), plus not being happy of being shared trough dropbox?

have you read the one telling me russian? or the one telling 0 trust on my upload and telling me I must explain where it comes (I alredy wrote a changelog, what he wants? a payment on his bank account also?), plus not being happy of being shared trough dropbox?
As an Ax92u owner (2 of them) I am waiting for .388 firmware too. Whilst you have the firmware and want to share, that's a great motive, but people are wary for good reason. I have a VPN setup on my own router, and it was constantly bombarded with login attempts on the VPN port (until I changed it). Hackers are always looking for opportunities to infiltrate personal networks, and routers are prime candidates. I was lucky to have avoided the Asustor deadbolt, purely as I had purposely avoided allowing open ports to the internet - security is key.

If you join a forum and one of your first posts announces a new firmware, which layout wise 'mimic's an official sounding firmware release post, but links to a dropbox account, that raises questions:
1. Who is this new person that somehow has a new firmware that is eagerly being waited for by a lot of people.
2. where did they get the firmware from? If Asus is not providing this on their support channels, then that is a legitimate question
3. Clearly not downloadable from Asus. If it were, then the Asus portal link would have been provided, rather than a personal dropbox account.

If you cannot verify the authenticity of a firmware file, then you are taking a huge gamble/risk installing it. Personally, I would not take that risk and would also question the source, purely to ascertain whether it is legitimate.

You will always get forum comments that are not fair, critical or downright rude - I've received plenty on other sites, just trying to be helpful at times, so I post rarely. If it is offensive, raise it to the mods.

If you are more open about this firmware, and provide some background, then that would alleviate a lot of the raised questions and concern by the members here and gain you more respect.

As an Ax92u owner (2 of them) I am waiting for .388 firmware too. Whilst you have the firmware and want to share, that's a great motive, but people are wary for good reason. I have a VPN setup on my own router, and it was constantly bombarded with login attempts on the VPN port (until I changed it). Hackers are always looking for opportunities to infiltrate personal networks, and routers are prime candidates. I was lucky to have avoided the Asustor deadbolt, purely as I had purposely avoided allowing open ports to the internet - security is key.

If you join a forum and one of your first posts announces a new firmware, which layout wise 'mimic's an official sounding firmware release post, but links to a dropbox account, that raises questions:
1. Who is this new person that somehow has a new firmware that is eagerly being waited for by a lot of people.
2. where did they get the firmware from? If Asus is not providing this on their support channels, then that is a legitimate question
3. Clearly not downloadable from Asus. If it were, then the Asus portal link would have been provided, rather than a personal dropbox account.

If you cannot verify the authenticity of a firmware file, then you are taking a huge gamble/risk installing it. Personally, I would not take that risk and would also question the source, purely to ascertain whether it is legitimate.

You will always get forum comments that are not fair, critical or downright rude - I've received plenty on other sites, just trying to be helpful at times, so I post rarely. If it is offensive, raise it to the mods.

If you are more open about this firmware, and provide some background, then that would alleviate a lot of the raised questions and concern by the members here and gain you more respect.

I've just reuploaded it after reading your post

the firmware comes from asus, yet not officially released and I do not have estimated time or even know if it will be released

you can check it and tell if there is any misbehaviour (login attempts to your device, ssh attempts or anything alike)

Last edited:

Caution on the internet is highly appropriate behavior. All valid concerns, IMO. I don't think anyone accused you of anything. But they were correct that it seems suspicious from a new user who only joined yesterday.

And for the record, I am way too cautious to connect/download anything as posted above (from a random dropbox account which hovering over indicates "shorturl.at/erHK1".

I've just reuploaded it after reading your post

the firmware comes from asus, yet not officially released and I do not have estimated time or even know if it will be released

you can check it and tell if there is any misbehaviour (login attempts to your device, ssh attempts or anything alike)

Where did you get it?

Another 3 x RT-AX92U owner here waiting for an official firmware update since last January and counting...

Another 3 x RT-AX92U owner here waiting for an official firmware update since last January and counting...
Same here... Running Gnutons build while waiting. It runs perfect on my AIMESH nodes.

Last edited:
Gnuton's has an issue with roaming assistant which this 388 firmware doesn't have, so I'm giving it a go. Has been stable ~1 day so far

Yeah, I have it on my nodes too without issue. Gnuton's borked them for some reason.

Caution on the internet is highly appropriate behavior. All valid concerns, IMO. I don't think anyone accused you of anything. But they were correct that it seems suspicious from a new user who only joined yesterday.

And for the record, I am way too cautious to connect/download anything as posted above (from a random dropbox account which hovering over indicates "shorturl.at/erHK1".
I’ve been in Information Security for over two decades and this firmware offer set off every warning bell in my head. Even if the OP has 100% good intentions and the firmware he posted is 100% clean, I am waiting.

OP: Nothing personal, but your offer set off the following alarms for me:

1) New forum user account.
2) Non native English speaker.
3) Firmware installer targeting what is essentially an orphaned router for several months.
4) Major alternative firmware (Merlin) wont run on it, therefore pent up frustration by all us owners worried about firmware updates to fix issues/bugs/vulnerabilities.

Net-Net: I’ll wait for the Asus release.
My best security advice: Think! Before You Click.

2) Non native English speaker.

All creators of popular firmware releases here on SNB Forums are non native English speakers. Perhaps 20-30 years ago there were red flags based on discrimination in your Information Security training. I agree with the rest, but not this one.

There was one MAJOR red flag in the original thread, now removed. It was saying "Improvements in VPN Fusion". VPN Fusion was GT-series feature before 388 firmware and not available for RT-AX92U. How can you improve something that was not available?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!