What's new

[RT-N66U] PiHole DNS / DNSMasq Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Hello,

So I'm not actually new to the forum, I used to run under the name BreakingDad back in 2016 but I cannot retreive the password as I think it's set to a defunct email. That's another Issue though. Hello to those that remember me.

What I'm trying to do is this.

I have a Roku stick (UK) and it's DNS is hard encoded into it; there is no option to set a DNS for it client side.

I made myself a PI-Hole Box and it seems to be running well (I can access the GUI) through it's IP internally, so that's all good. I tested it works by connecting this pc to it's DNS and it filtered etc.

However, I want to use the PI Hole for the Roku and the Roku only.

My Network is set up like this - All Devices use the internal ISP DNS because it offers filtering for the kids on their devices, The adult devices in the house all use client set 1.1.1.1 Cloudflare to have more or less open internet.

I want the Roku to use internal IP 192.168.1.44 which is the DNS address of the PI Hole Box.

I've dont about 2hours reading up on this and am at a loss on how to do it through the settings on the RT-N66U.

I think perhaps DNSMasq (to advertise the alternative DNS??) is an option except I use Standard latest Asus firmware and Merlin doesn't support this device now so I like to use the latest updates for security.

I understand DNSMasq may be configurable through Telnet, although I would not really know where to begin with this and all the JFFS commands that entails.

This is where I start getting lost and need help.

Essentially is there an easy way to set this one device that has a static IP to use the DNS of the pi hole?

Thanks for any help :) Good to be back and if Tim or Eric know how to get my old account back I would appreciate that to.

I bet if you factory reset your Roku and feed it a DHCP with a DNS it will work. Block outbound DNS on the firewall so the Roku has no access to an outside DNS.

I bet if you factory reset your Roku and feed it a DHCP with a DNS it will work. Block outbound DNS on the firewall so the Roku has no access to an outside DNS.

Yes I saw that way, people use it to force the DNS to get around geoblocking. I am trying to avoid that as that would involve making a whole new roku account as I believe the DNS is account bound. Then that would involve reloading all the settings.

Thanks anyway, hope it doesn't come to that.

If you're using Merlin's firmware you can use the DNSFilter to redirect the Roku's requests to the PiHole.

If you're using Merlin's firmware you can use the DNSFilter to redirect the Roku's requests to the PiHole.
Thanks, unforunately that firmware is 2 years out of date now. So i'm not sure how it compares to the latest asus one im using security wise.

You could use John's firmware like I do. That's kept up to date.

I might have a go at it that way, but I think i've got it working now.

I'm using Pi Hole as my router DNS server, then inturn using Pi Hole for upstream DNS queries. That way in effect all the devices are using Pi Hole block, then my usual DNS, except those (adult) machines that use 1.1.1.1 as they are over ridden client side.

This makes my brain hurt lol.

I would recommend you use QUAD9, IP 9.9.9.9 for DNS instead of 1.1.1.1.
Quad 9 looks good, what do you prefer about it? the malware protection or privacy?