What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.8 -Mar 17, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner, GT-AXE/AX + Speedtest)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, it returns the public IP for the remote site.

Yes, it returns the public IP for the remote site.
OK... next troubleshooting step...

Code:
if [ "$(echo 10.8.0.1 | grep -E '^(192\.168|10\.|172\.1[6789]\.|172\.2[0-9]\.|172\.3[01]\.)')" ]; then echo private; else echo public; fi

Please replace the "10.8.0.1" with the IP that you received from the last step? And see if it spits back "private"?

OK... next troubleshooting step...

Code:
if [ "$(echo 10.8.0.1 | grep -E '^(192\.168|10\.|172\.1[6789]\.|172\.2[0-9]\.|172\.3[01]\.)')" ]; then echo private; else echo public; fi

Please replace the "10.8.0.1" with the IP that you received from the last step? And see if it spits back "private"?
No, "public".

No, "public".
I thought it was a 10.8.x.x address? So you have a public VPN IP, but it's not able to get out to the internet?

I thought it was a 10.8.x.x address? So you have a public VPN IP, but it's not able to get out to the internet?
I guess that I am confusing both of us. Internet is not redirected to the VPN, but rather I use OpenVPN to reach devices on the remote network via a LAN-to-LAN connection. — I use VPN Director to limit access. The local address for the tunnel is 10.8.x.x (private), and the remote address is 71.x.x.x (public), which gets resolved via DDNS hostname.

I guess that I am confusing both of us. Internet is not redirected to the VPN, but rather I use OpenVPN to reach devices on the remote network via a LAN-to-LAN connection. — I use VPN Director to limit access. The local address for the tunnel is 10.8.x.x (private), and the remote address is 71.x.x.x (public), which gets resolved via DDNS hostname.
Wow, you've got a crazy setup... congrats!! :) Let's see if this one does the trick!

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.33b5.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

While it may be crazy, it works well for remote access and remote sync/backup.

This version works for the first of two VPN tunnels out. The second, OVPN2 (client) does not show at all when both OVPN1 and OVPN2 clients are connected. More testing when return home later this evening. Thanks for your persistence!

Last edited:

This version works for the first of two VPN tunnels out. The second, OVPN2 (client) does not show at all when both OVPN1 and OVPN2 clients are connected. More testing when return home later this evening. Thanks for your persistence!
OK yey! That's great news... Currently I only have the 1st active instance that it runs across at this point. I'll see if I can manage to show more! :)

Last edited:

WIth more testing, I discovered that page 2 will show either OVPN1 client or OVPN2 client information (if connected), but not both — I currently only have the two VPN clients configured. If both are connected, OVPN1 client info is displayed.

You are close!

WIth more testing, I discovered that page 2 will show either OVPN1 client or OVPN2 client information (if connected), but not both — I currently only have the two VPN clients configured. If both are connected, OVPN1 client info is displayed.

You are close!
OK @visortgw ... highly experimental, but it seemed to work displaying a secondary VPN connection with my limited testing. Let me know what you think?

v1.33b6
What's new?
- ADDED:
Borrowing a little something from VPNMON-R2, and are now showing VPN client statistics under page 2 of RTRMON. The VPN section shows current public VPN IP, VPN IP city location, current TUN (tunnel) slot and TX/RX stats of the current connection. Having this alongside your WAN and LAN stats, gives you a good perspective on what level of network traffic is truly happening on your router. This feature will now show up to 2 connected VPN clients that you may currently have connected due to screen space contraints.

BETA Download Link:

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.33b6.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

OK @visortgw ... highly experimental, but it seemed to work displaying a secondary VPN connection with my limited testing. Let me know what you think?

v1.33b6
What's new?
- ADDED:
Borrowing a little something from VPNMON-R2, and are now showing VPN client statistics under page 2 of RTRMON. The VPN section shows current public VPN IP, VPN IP city location, current TUN (tunnel) slot and TX/RX stats of the current connection. Having this alongside your WAN and LAN stats, gives you a good perspective on what level of network traffic is truly happening on your router. This feature will now show up to 2 connected VPN clients that you may currently have connected due to screen space contraints.

BETA Download Link:

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.33b6.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"
  1. It works! RTRMON shows info for one or both of my currently configured VPN clients (when each is actively connected). If I turn a client on, it will display on the next refresh — likewise, if I turn a connection off, it will be removed on the next refresh.
  2. Please consider: The tabs are now labeled "VPN" and "VPN2", respectively, regardless of the VPN client number that is active. Can you update this to display the actual VPN client number?

Another semi-related question: How can I define a command of rtrmon globally to execute sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh from the command line as opposed to launching amtm and typing rt?

More feedback: If I have VPN client 1 and VPN client 2 active and displayed, and I terminate VPN client 2:
  • VPN client 2 continues to be displayed.
  • I see two lines as follows below VPN client 2 info:
[: 0: unknown operand

Last edited:
The [: 0: unknown operand error also occurs if only one VPN is active, and I terminate the connection. The error disappears on a subsequent refresh.

1. It works! RTRMON shows info for one or both of my currently configured VPN clients (when each is actively connected). If I turn a client on, it will display on the next refresh — likewise, if I turn a connection off, it will be removed on the next refresh.
  2. Please consider: The tabs are now labeled "VPN" and "VPN2", respectively, regardless of the VPN client number that is active. Can you update this to display the actual VPN client number?
I can definitely show the VPN client# in the header label... should not be a prob.

Another semi-related question: How can I define a command of rtrmon globally to execute sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh from the command line as opposed to launching amtm and typing rt?
Easy-peasy! :) From the SSH command prompt, execute: rtrmon -monitor

-or-

If you want it running in the background even after closing down your SSH window, use: rtrmon -screen

More feedback: If I have VPN client 1 and VPN client 2 active and displayed, and I terminate VPN client 2:
  • VPN client 2 continues to be displayed.
  • I see two lines as follows below VPN client 2 info:
OK... I didn't see that, but I will dig into this error and see if I can recreate it.

The [: 0: unknown operand error also occurs if only one VPN is active, and I terminate the connection. The error disappears on a subsequent refresh.
I'm glad it at least disappears!! :)

$ rtrmon -monitor
-bash: rtrmon: command not found

$ rtrmon -monitor
-bash: rtrmon: command not found
That's kind of peculiar...

Does this file: /jffs/configs/profile.add

Contain this entry? alias rtrmon=\"sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh\" # RTRMON

...and how are you running bash?

Last edited:
Now it's working -- even more peculiar...

Now it's working -- even more peculiar...
I got it to fail once with the unknown operand error... but I'm having a real hard time repeating that feat. ;( Do you have any luck figuring out at which point killing a vpn connection to cause that error works best?

I even tried just killing the 1 vpn connection I had, and that didn't cause the error either... :(

Last edited:
I got it to fail once with the unknown operand error... but I'm having a real hard time repeating that feat. ;( Do you have any luck figuring out at which point killing a vpn connection to cause that error works best?

I even tried just killing the 1 vpn connection I had, and that didn't cause the error either... :(
As soon as the VPN client 1 connection displays info on page 2 of RTRMON, kill the VPN client connection via router web GUI — I see the two errors until page refreshes and removes VPN info. Turn it back on, waitt for VPN info to populate, rinse, and repeat.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!