What's new

rv016 (I think v2) no sticker throughput wan to lan issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rcorkum

New Around Here
I have a 100mb service from my ISP soon to go to 250 but for the past few months my wan to lan throughput has been horrible (let me preable this by saying right now funds are tight and physical mobility is limited) wearing a nice cast atm)

before my issues started I was using an ASUS RT-N12 occasionally my speed would go past 100 to 102 and 105 so I was worried about packet loss.

so I made a mistake and got a trendnet gigabit router (groaning and laughs are allowed) after extensive troubleshooting they were willing to RMA but honestly I didn't see the point) Model Number: TEW-639GR
Version: V3.0R

and its throughput hardwired could never exceed wan to lan about 35 meg if I put it on pedestal and prostrated myself towards it.

so a friend tossed me an rv-016 and now I can't exceed 40 meg wan to lan on this.

if I isolate to my pc easily getting 85-100mb no issues with same cables (router is setting beside pc)

I think its a v2 rv-016 (no sticker) I've tried upgrading the firmware
please note I am only running it single wan, have turned off autonegotiating

reset the router and so on
just tried it again and am through it now 39.26mb through it port 1 to pc and wan 1 to isp. (using isp's own speedtest)

other then get a decent router (and trust me its on my todo list) but with the hardware I got laying around at this point debating just building one as I got some idea's I want to try.

right now not worried about my lan or my servers or boxes I am trying to solve this basic throughput issue wan to lan on one port.
I've included some screenshots and tried rolling back the firmware as well still same throughput issues.

Robert

Attachments

• rv016 1.jpg
    rv016 1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 507
  • rv016 2.jpg
    rv016 2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 501
  • rv016 3.jpg
    rv016 3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 406
The rv016 is starting to show it's age for sure. Back in the day, 40Mb wans were unheard of. But not anymore.

So I personally think this is a limit on what the rv016 can do. I have two of them and also have an rv042 that wouldn't go as fast as my connection (25/5).

If you need the features of the rv016, definitely keep it. Otherwise, you can sell it to me as I need one more, and get yourself a router than can hit the speeds you need. :D