What's new

Samba share mount failed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yhq_34

Occasional Visitor
Hi:
Don't why every time I'm mounting samba share on router, always show me "No such device" error

anyone has similar problem?

admin@(none):/tmp/home/root# mount \\\\192.168.1.50\\share-e /opt/tmp/bak/ -t
cifs -o "username=xxx,password=xxx"
mount: mounting \\192.168.1.50\share-e on /opt/tmp/bak/ failed: No such device

mount: mounting \\192.168.1.50\share-e on /opt/tmp/bak/ failed: No such device
Is that really the error message or is it "No such device or address"? In which case either 192.168.1.50 or share-e is wrong.

yes, just show me "mount: mounting \\192.168.1.50\share-e on /opt/tmp/bak/ failed: No such device"
I can mount it by using linux computer.

Do you have the right IP address for your router? By default Asus is now using 192.168.50.1 on many of its routers. Was wondering if you transposed some numbers in the IP address above...
Or, it could be that your Windows PC has its file sharing broken if you recently upgraded it. I've seen several cases recently where file shares are not accessible after an upgrade to Windows Fall Creators Update (1709). And we've not gotten one of those PC's to work with older NAS. If you can upgrade a network device to SMB2 or higher it may help.

OK, thanks. So I need to upgrade to Merlin's firmware first, or no other ways to mount samba share?

Not that I can think of.

I'm assuming the CIFS module is missing from your firmware(?), so even if you could find a compatible module from somewhere (very unlikely) you wouldn't be able to automatically set it up at boot time.

You could try copying cifs.ko from my firmware and loading it on the stock firmware. That would be a manual thing however.

Another possibility is to recompile the GPL code with that module enabled.

What router model?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!