What's new

mount using SMB1 only despite vers=2.1 specified

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phantomski

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I'm struggling to connect to SMB2+ version Synology NAS Samba shares from my RT-AC88U. No matter what version is specified in the mount options (I have tried 2.0, 2.1, 3.0), it's always only trying to connect using SMB1.

Command:
Bash:
mount -t cifs -o username=<removed>,password=<removed>,vers=2.1 //<share> /mnt/<localmount>

Result:
Bash:
mount: mounting //<share> on /mnt/<localmount> failed: Operation not supported

- (Client) RT-AC88U is using Merlin's 386.11 FW and libmount is version 2.39-2 and smbd is version 3.6.25
- (Server) Synology DS1621+ NAS is using DSM v7.2-64570 and Samba v4.15.13 which is supporting SMB3_11 and has SMB2 support enabled

I have found similar issue here, but using modprobe md4 results in modprobe: module md4 not found in modules.dep

Any ideas?

Try version 2.2. I had one machine that refused 2.1, but took 2.2

It works from everywhere apart from the router.
No, I meant - from the router try to mount a drive being shared from a Windows PC. That will indicate whether it's a problem with the router's mount command or a problem specifically with the NAS's share.

No, I meant - from the router try to mount a drive being shared from a Windows PC. That will indicate whether it's a problem with the router's mount command or a problem specifically with the NAS's share.

Sorry for a late reply, away from computer for a while.
If I try connecting from the router to a Windows PC (Win11) setup as standard, it doesn't work. Same as the NAS example above.
If I specifically enable SMB1 support on that Win PC, it works. That's regardless of the vers=xxx option. I would conclude the mount cifs is basically only supporting SMB1.

Sorry for a late reply, away from computer for a while.
If I try connecting from the router to a Windows PC (Win11) setup as standard, it doesn't work. Same as the NAS example above.
If I specifically enable SMB1 support on that Win PC, it works. That's regardless of the vers=xxx option. I would conclude the mount cifs is basically only supporting SMB1.

I mount to my NAS all the time at Version 2. The only thing different with my command line and yours is I enclose my -o option in double quotes.

I mount to my NAS all the time at Version 2. The only thing different with my command line and yours is I enclose my -o option in double quotes.
Are you mounting it from an "AC" router running 386.11 or 386.12? I suspect this is a regression in the 386 branch only.

@Phantomski Have you updated to 386.12?

I use both an AC86U and AX88U. Both mount my NAS fine.

No, I am still on 386.10 for my AX86U. I found the .11 and .12 both had issues I did not want to get into. So, you could be right Colin.

If I get some time, I can give the AC86U a flash up to .12 and see if behavior is any different.

If you are right, another good reason not to upgrade.

Are you mounting it from an "AC" router running 386.11 or 386.12? I suspect this is a regression in the 386 branch only.

@Phantomski Have you updated to 386.12?
386.11. Upgrade to 386.12 is the next thing to try, network users permitting 😅

Upgraded to 386.12. SMB connections still just SMB1 :( Not only that, authentication is NTLMv1. So even I enable SMB1 temporarily, I would have to really lower down security too.

Last edited:
So, I updated my AC86U to 386.12 and attempted to mount a SMB2 share on my laptop. No issues. Mounted just fine.

Code:
mount -t cifs \\\\192.168.50.16\\GitHub /tmp/mnt/github -o "vers=2.1,username=#######,password=########"

Try enclosing your option (-o) in quotes. I have seen instances where the comma causes issues.

mount -t cifs -o username=<removed>,password=<removed>,vers=2.1 //<share> /mnt/<localmount>

I just noted your format here. See my mount command above for the format needed....

I've been experimenting with this on my RT-AC68U. I've tried 386.7_2, 386.10 and 386.12.

None of them support SMB2 or higher. As far as I can see the cifs module is simply too old. /sys/module/cifs/version is 1.65 compared to 2.06 on my RT-AX86U.

The mount command will work, but it's only using NT1.

I don't know what kernel version the OP's RT-AC88U is using.

I just noted your format here. See my mount command above for the format needed....
I've tried loads of formatting combinations, but none work, always SMB1. As @ColinTaylor noted, the problem is not the syntax, but the mount version or more precisely cifs module.
Despite using 386.12, the BusyBox (which mount is part of) is ancient v1.25.1 (Oct 2016).

I've tried loads of formatting combinations, but none work, always SMB1. As @ColinTaylor noted, the problem is not the syntax, but the mount version or more precisely cifs module.
Despite using 386.12, the BusyBox (which mount is part of) is ancient v1.25.1 (Oct 2016).
Yeah, agreed. Getting old is a wondering thing!

Time to think out of the box perhaps. Check Entware to see if they have a Samba Client that is suitable for your build. I see for the AC86 and AX88, there is a Samba4 Client package.

Time to think out of the box perhaps. Check Entware to see if they have a Samba Client that is suitable for your build. I see for the AC86 and AX88, there is a Samba4 Client package.
smbclient works and connects with SMB3_11. Not quite the same as mounting it as a local drive though.

Yeah, agreed. Getting old is a wondering thing!

I do agree. I have started already with some experiments.
- smbclient is great and up to date, but I just need to use the mount (it all started with the BACKUPMON :) tbh)
- entware has mount-utils which has more modern version of mount and libmount
- unfortunately entware doesn't have cifs-utils which is needed for mount.cifs helper. And I'm stuck here so far.