What's new

Scheduling local clients (stop kids from using local Plex at night)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlexHK

Occasional Visitor
I've been using Parental Controls > Time Scheduling to disable the internet for our FireTV stick and the TV itself for a while.

But once the internet stops, the kids can still move to our local Plex server and keep watching from there.

Any idea if there is an easy fix to this? I have no problem with command line, cron or scripts.

Thanks for any pointers and sorry for the non-technical request.

Move to the just released Asus firmware for your AX86U Pro and set up a Kids WIFI in Guest Network Pro with WIFI scheduling.

That's a good idea, thanks. I wish YazFi or another add-on would allow scheduling.

Not sure if I am ready to move "back" to Asus firmware for this reason only.

Iptables does have a match time function. The question would rather or not the router iptables implementation has the time module.

And if course, your willingness to code. You would also have to give the kids devices a reserved or static DHCP address.

The other option is simply to turn off the Plex server.

That's a good idea, thanks. I wish YazFi or another add-on would allow scheduling.

Not sure if I am ready to move "back" to Asus firmware for this reason only.

Better to threaten the kids than to revert back to stock.... 😅

Iptables does have a match time function. The question would rather or not the router iptables implementation has the time module.

And if course, your willingness to code. You would also have to give the kids devices a reserved or static DHCP address.

The other option is simply to turn off the Plex server.
I'm using this for parental control and it works fine:
Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -o eth0 -m set --match-set parental-mac src --match time --weekdays Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri --timestart $(date -u -d @$(date "+%s" -d "11:00") +%H:%M) --timestop $(date -u -d @$(date "+%s" -d "17:00") +%H:%M) -j REJECT
But it wouldnt work If the kids are in the same network as the plex server.
But if guest network is on a different network (as it would be if lan access is not enabled) then this command could be tweak to allow lan access (thus plex server access) for certain times/days.

You could add the rule to your Plex server's firewall. Assuming it's a Linux machine.

You would have to add the rule to the INPUT chain and change the interface names to match the machine's interface.

Personally, and at the risk of persecution, I prefer the disapline approach. My kids always knew the consequences of there actions if they stepped out of line.