What's new

Scribe scribe - syslog-ng and logrotate installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You need to whitelist "codeload.github.com" in Diversion. :)
Adding this function to the installer may help. May need to check with the Diversion and Skynet authors if a process list function needs to happen for the entry to take effect.

Code:
# Create shared-Scribe-whitelist file if one does not exist
# to prevent codeload.github.com from being blocked by AB-Solution and Skynet

whitelist_github_domain () {
    if [ ! -s "/jffs/shared-Scribe-whitelist" ];then
    printf "codeload.github.com\n" > /jffs/shared-Scribe-whitelist
fi
}

Going thru the files in the installer. /opt/tmp/logrotate.daily:

Code:
error: /opt/etc/logrotate.conf:31 duplicate log entry for /opt/var/log/messages

I got it to finally work buy uninstalling scribe followed by a reboot.. Then, running installer script again by copy/pasting the snip on the README.md page. Must have been a conflict with the current installatoin or config files for logrotate and syslog-ng. I have two messages about the duplicate entry
Code:
logrotate: error: /opt/etc/logrotate.conf:31 duplicate log entry for /opt/var/log/messages
logrotate: error: /opt/etc/logrotate.conf:31 duplicate log entry for /opt/var/log/messages

Last edited:
Adding this function to the installer may help. May need to check with the Diversion and Skynet authors if a process list function needs to happen for the entry to take effect.

Code:
# Create shared-Scribe-whitelist file if one does not exist
# to prevent codeload.github.com from being blocked by AB-Solution and Skynet

whitelist_github_domain () {
    if [ ! -s "/jffs/shared-Scribe-whitelist" ];then
    printf "codeload.github.com\n" > /jffs/shared-Scribe-whitelist
fi
}
it's already whitelisted in the latest Diversion
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-143#post-490907

I added a '-k' flag to the curl line (in the 'scribe' script) to ignore the verification part, BUT it had lots of problems running the script !!! (lots of dirs/files not found !!!???)

I ended up using git clone to copy the files/.zip down and manually set up the directories etc in /jffs/scripts/... and /opt/tmp/[scribe]|[scribe-master] .....

I ran the 'scribe' script multiple times and fixed the missing dirs/files until it was happy !!! :)

I was eventually able to run the 'scribe install' and 'scribe restart' to confirm all was working (after copying the 'right' files into /opt/tmp/[scribe]|[scribe-master]/[logrotate.share]|[syslog-ng.share])

Big Hint:
Make sure all the dirs/files are chmod'ed to '0755' otherwise the script is designed to ignore them.
I think this may possibly have been my problem !!!
As noted, whitelisting "codeload.github.com" in Diversion (or updating to Diversion 4.1.0) is needed to fix it. As to the issues you encountered after adding the '-k' flag, I'm at a loss. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times on my test router, both new installations and overwriting existing, and I've never encountered any problems like that. The Entware installers for syslog-ng and logrotate create the directories with the appropriate permissions, the only caveat is anything added to /opt/etc/logrotate.d or /opt/etc/syslog-ng.d must not be writable by anyone other than the the user. So 655, 644, 600 all work for files, they don't need to be executable. Those are restrictions placed by logrotate and syslog-ng, not scribe.

Your setup may or may not be proper because of how you've done it, there's not way for me to tell for sure. If you have problems, I recommend uninstalling scribe, ensuring Diversion is 4.1.0 or higher, and re-installing scribe. You might do that anyways just be sure.

@cmkelley

Looks like the installation script did not make /jffs/scripts/service-event executable.
Code:
custom_script: Found service-event, but script is not set executable!
I made it executable using chmod 755 service-event command.

@cmkelley

Looks like the installation script did not make /jffs/scripts/service-event executable.
Code:
Ooops. Forgot not everyone has at least one of Jack Yaz's scripts already installed. My bad. :eek:

@cmkelley

Code:
Also you should add
Code:
#!/bin/sh
as the first line of /jffs/scripts/service-event

scribe v1.2_0 is up
  • Tests for Skynet before installing and asks if you want to abort to install Skynet
  • Refuse to install (new installation only) if Diversion is < v4.1.0
  • Recognize a new installation so above & checks for Merlin / Entware / Skynet only run on new installations
  • Create service-event correctly if doesn't already exist and ensures it is executable; thanks to Xentrk for finding that bug
  • Won't try to kill klogd & syslogd if service command is "stop"
  • Some logic changes (e.g. true/false instead of yes/no) because I haven't yet learned that better is the enemy of good enough
  • Some interface changes; see above for why
Just needs a "scribe update" to update.

Last edited:
scribe v1.2_0 is up
  • Tests for Skynet before installing and asks if you want to abort to install Skynet
  • Refuse to install (new installation only) if Diversion is < v4.1.0
  • Recognize a new installation so above & checks for Merlin / Entware / Skynet only run on new installations
  • Create service-event correctly if doesn't already exist and ensures it is executable; thanks to Xentrk for finding that bug
  • Won't try to kill klogd & syslogd if service command is "stop"
  • Some logic changes (e.g. true/false instead of yes/no) because I haven't yet learned that better is the enemy of good enough
  • Some interface changes; see above for why
Just needs a "scribe update" to update.

Easy, no hassle update on my RT-AC86U. :)

Yep clean update on my RT-AC87U also.

As noted, whitelisting "codeload.github.com" in Diversion (or updating to Diversion 4.1.0) is needed to fix it. As to the issues you encountered after adding the '-k' flag, I'm at a loss. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times on my test router, both new installations and overwriting existing, and I've never encountered any problems like that. The Entware installers for syslog-ng and logrotate create the directories with the appropriate permissions, the only caveat is anything added to /opt/etc/logrotate.d or /opt/etc/syslog-ng.d must not be writable by anyone other than the the user. So 655, 644, 600 all work for files, they don't need to be executable. Those are restrictions placed by logrotate and syslog-ng, not scribe.

Your setup may or may not be proper because of how you've done it, there's not way for me to tell for sure. If you have problems, I recommend uninstalling scribe, ensuring Diversion is 4.1.0 or higher, and re-installing scribe. You might do that anyways just be sure.
Thanks for the reply.

Don't worry it is more likely to be something I did !!!
[I tend to learn by jumping in with two feet and breaking things :) ]

It is working fine now and 'all is happy in the world' :)

(Logs are being created in the correct places and log rotates are working.)

Many thanks for all the hard work as I would never have got it working myself :)

P.S.
For peace of mind I did the install again after the whitelist fix and all works 100% :)
So it was me !!! :)

I just did an uninstall followed by a new install. Worked good except I still see the warning messages:
Code:
==> /opt/tmp/logrotate.daily <==

After scribe update to 1.2_0 scribe status still reports an update is available.

Edit: Nevermind. User error, probably because this is white on white using Juice on a Chromebook. Thanks @Xentrk for setting me straight.

Last edited:
After scribe update to 1.2_0 scribe status still reports an update is available.
I did a "scribe status" and it reports it is up to date.
Code:
                            _
                         _ ( )
       ___    ___  _ __ (_)| |_      __
     /',__) /'___)( '__)| || '_`\  /'__`\
     \__, \( (___ | |   | || |_) )(  ___/
     (____/`\____)(_)   (_)(_,__/'`\____)
     syslog-ng and logrotate installation
     v1.2_0 (master)  Coded by cynicastic

checking configuration for necessary scribe hooks ...

checking S01syslog-ng ... present.

checking service-event ... present.

checking post-mount ... present.

checking logrotate cron job ... present.

checking syslog-ng daemon ...

syslog-ng syntax check ... okay!

checking syslog-ng daemon ... alive.

scribe installed version: v1.2_0 (master)
             scribe GitHub version: v1.2_0 (master)
                    scribe is up to date!

I just did an uninstall followed by a new install. Worked good except I still see the warning messages:
Code:
==> /opt/tmp/logrotate.daily <==
Hrmmm. I wonder if the logrotate.daily file is just left over from a previous issue/problem? I probably forgot to delete that file with the uninstall routine. Can you check the date stamp on that file? Does it match your most recent installation?

Also, what timezone are you in? I'm UTC-7 (PDT). Not that it matters to scribe, just so I can figure out if I need to break away in the next 6 hours or then next 12. :)

Hrmmm. I wonder if the logrotate.daily file is just left over from a previous issue/problem? I probably forgot to delete that file with the uninstall routine. Can you check the date stamp on that file? Does it match your most recent installation?

Also, what timezone are you in? I'm UTC-7 (PDT). Not that it matters to scribe, just so I can figure out if I need to break away in the next 6 hours or then next 12. :)
The file is from March 23 2019. It does not match the /opt/etc/logrotate.d timestamp of May 20. The installer may need to check for an existing file if it does not do so already. I do that on my scripts. If the installer encounters an existing file, it will rename the file by adding a timestamp to the end of the existing file name before installing the new file.

I am 14 hours ahead of you.
Current Offset: UTC/GMT +7 hours
Difference: 14 hours ahead of Los Angeles
None of this is that urgent that you need to schedule around my timezone though. I have to prepare for work now. Have a good day.

The file is from March 23 2019. It does not match the /opt/etc/logrotate.d timestamp of May 20. The installer may need to check for an existing file if it does not do so already. I do that on my scripts. If the installer encounters an existing file, it will rename the file by adding a timestamp to the end of the existing file name before installing the new file.

I am 14 hours ahead of you.
Current Offset: UTC/GMT +7 hours
Difference: 14 hours ahead of Los Angeles
None of this is that urgent that you need to schedule around my timezone though. I have to prepare for work now. Have a good day.
Okay, one more thing to add to 1.2_1. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!