What's new

Secure method to share video files (sftp or AiCloud) with non-tech friends

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DiliMe

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Errata: I would correct the title: (other than sftp or AiCloud)

I'm looking from you folks to give some ideas for a secure file sharing method using the standard daemons available with Asus or Merlin firmware. I'm not into using command-line configs like vsftpd through entware or similar.
Couple of times per year I had to share big files (>4GB) with my non-technical friends or with my parents. Usually are GoPro videos or downloaded movies or .zip of photo files.
Currently I'm using either the standard FTP server (non-TLS) on my Asus AC68U (Merlin) when I have to send files > 2GB or when having (<2GB files) using different file transfer services (transfer.com or filemail.com or other) but these kind of free services are non-standard and are often changing limits or different settings each year.

* I tried AiCloud which works OK but only using the Admin credentials - this makes it not viable as I would need to have available at least one more public username.
* I tried using the AiCloud-Sync method, which permits creating custom-users but it works with very very slow transfer speeds between Asia to Europe.
* I tried FTP server with TLS but it works only with specialized client programs like WinSCP, Filezilla and then setting custom ports, etc - so it is not a good option for non-tech folks.

I'm looking to find a SECURE method where the non-tech folk clicks in whatsapp/email a hyperlink, it asks for the credentials and that's all. Currently I work with standard FTP which is not secure at all, after 2-3 days I have to take care to remember disabling the FTP service and sometimes I forget for many weeks.

Maybe somebody knows how it can be customized DownloadStation so that its folders can be accessed from the WAN side from a uTorrent client. I mean, how can I obtain the address/hyperlink that I have to send in email/whatsapp to my friends?

Cheers!

Last edited:
You will likely struggle between "one click" and "secure" :)

Setting up a VPN is pretty straight forward though. There may be a short learning curve for the "clients", but it would give you security.

Look into Firefox Send. I've used it for similar items and the only issue I've encountered is download fails for one family member that has SLOOOOW internet.

If a non-router solution is an option, then Sync.com with a couple of free accounts that are sharing a folder. This storage is end to end encrypted.

Update:
This is a correction as it seems that I did something wrong previously when I tested AiCloud.
"
* I tried AiCloud which works OK but only using the Admin credentials - this makes it not viable as I would need to have available at least one more public username.
"
Actually it seems that if you create a user/password credential within the window "USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" and assign permissions to folders - it works as expected to access the files on the USB disk via the AiCloud web/https interface and login with a standard user (not the admin user).
So, my conclusion is that AiCloud rulz and is a very elegant solution!

Last edited: