What's new

self hosted DNS server with dnsmasq and bind9 on Tomato

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hulltech

Occasional Visitor
I have been looking for a simple way to block ads and pop overs because they are very annoying. I agree that there are many forums who make an income with ads and I do not mind that as long as they don`t go nuclear and 3/4 ths the page is ads. I found a few web sites that dealt with just using the DNS,
1. FoolDns
2.ad free time!,
the third one got my interest because they used dnsmasque and bind9 on tomato and stored the bulk of it on a flash drive and turned off logging so the flash drive doesn`t wear out so fast. here is the link to what I am talking about.
http://slash-dev-blog.me/self-hosted-dns-server-with-dnsmasq-bind9-openwrt.html

I don`t know squat about programming or scripts. but I do know what is needed and what is not. having something in place to stop 90% of the ads is good but allowing the ads on your favorite forum, git-hub, sound-forge, kick-start, ect.. sites that really need the exposure. I don`t know about you but I could care less about who is having who`s lovechild of was abducted by Bigfoot, I would like to find a middle ground that fits everyone. forums get their ads out to the public and pay bills and develop new firmware -that is good and needed. we need something idiot proof that could even fit on a usb stick, be self starting so we would not have to spend a lot of time and frustration re-configuring after a new firmware update.I know there are add ons like web of trust, but what I am looking for is a middle ground solution. can someone point me in the right direction -heck even connecting an old android phone to the router to block most ads or how to turn a phone into a dns server you can connect to your router. any advice and guides with lots of pictures would be appreciated. have a great day!:D

Try the advanced combined hosts method. Works well and you can white list this site.

what is the advanced combined hosts method? I have no clue or idea on this stuff and how to do it. where do I start to do the advanced combined hosts method. im a real idiot when it comes to this, sorry.