What's new

Sending my AC86U back (bad 2.4) - what to get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

illus4567

Occasional Visitor
I loved my AC86U for the month we've had cause I use the 5g almost exclusively. But my wife and my printer need the 2.4 and it's really unstable. When it works it rocks, but it only works full speed 60% of the time I feel like. Instead of messing with RMA I'm just returning it to Amazon. Is there anything near this price point I should consider?

What have you tried to resolve the issues on the 2.4GHz band?

Are you using a USB drive in USB 3.0 mode in it? That would interfere with the 2.4GHz signal.

What firmware did you try? Did you ever do a full reset to factory defaults to allow the router to use the defaults the installed firmware expects?

Do you have something plugged into the USB 3 port of the router or something close by that is usb3?

I don't have anything plugged into the USB 3 port of my new 86U yet, but I may want to use a thumb drive. What is the problem with the 86U and USB 3? Note: I'm more of a software person than a hardware person, so be gentle with me :).

I don't have anything plugged into the USB 3 port of my new 86U yet, but I may want to use a thumb drive. What is the problem with the 86U and USB 3? Note: I'm more of a software person than a hardware person, so be gentle with me :).

The high data frequency speed of USB 3.x can generate EMI for 2.4 GHz WiFi which degrades WiFi performance and client experience. A well-shielded USB cable might help.

OE

The high data frequency speed of USB 3.x can generate EMI for 2.4 GHz WiFi which degrades WiFi performance and client experience. A well-shielded USB cable might help.
Would this apply to a thumb drive with no cable?

I’m using a USB thumb drive with a shielded cable and I have no problem right now. But I did have problem when I ran a USB 3 hub on USB 3 mode before. Now the hub is on my USB 2 port on my rt-ac5300.

It just depends on what EMI leaks out where... you'll have to try it. My 2.4 WLAN range suffered... client was disrupted at distance.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online