What's new

Wireguard Session Manager (4th) thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Martineau

Part of the Furniture
Another 6 months are up (thanks to SNB forum member @greenspanner for the heads-up); details of WireGuard® Manager can be found @the following:

and @ZebMcKayhan's invaluable Hint's and Tips Guide

Following on from #572 in the third thread.

Last edited:
Hi all,

yesterday, faced with the fact that the wireguard stopped working after reboot. Its showed as started, w/o any error, but doesn't work. No changes have been made to the router.

Code:
Asus AC86U - Firmware Version:386.7_2
wireguard - Version v4.19b3 by Martineau

interface: wg11 EndPoint=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:63665                   10.66.66.2/24,fd42:42:42::2/64          # N/A
                peer: xxx

Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-33F8:/tmp/home/root# wgmExpo "peer wg11"

Client  Auto  IP                              Endpoint              DNS              MTU   Annotate
wg11    P     10.66.66.2/24,fd42:42:42::2/64  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:63665  8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4  1460  # N/A

Selective Routing RPDB rules
ID  Peer  Interface  Source  Destination    Description
1   wg11  VPN        Any     185.41.185.73

IPSet      Enable  Peer  FWMark  DST/SRC
unblockip  Y       wg11  0x1000  dst

Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-33F8:/tmp/home/root# wgmExpo "restart wg11"

Requesting WireGuard® VPN Peer restart (wg11)

Restarting Wireguard® 'client' Peer (wg11)

wg_manager-clientwg11: WireGuard® VPN 'client' Peer (wg11) to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx2:63665 (# N/A) Terminated
        wg_manager-clientwg11: Initialising WireGuard® VPN 'client' Peer (wg11) in Policy Mode to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:63665 (# N/A) DNS=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
wg_manager-clientwg11: Initialisation complete.

Please advise how to proceed.
Thank you.

UPD1 Stopped working my unblock list (unblockip Y wg11 0x1000 dst). Rules that direct in WGM is working ( 1 wg11 VPN Any 185.41.185.73)
UPD2 Problem solved. For some reason, unblockip list was empty in IPSet. After restoration backup - everything worked.

Last edited:
UPD2 Problem solved. For some reason, unblockip list was empty in IPSet. After restoration backup - everything worked.
did you use my scripts in nat-start to restore the ipset after boot? I know I have encountered similar issues with nat-start during boot. it seems to execute nat-start many times virtually simultaneously, which means it kind of blocks itself. thus the "sleep 10" but sometimes maybe not enough? perhaps something more elaborate is needed, like a lock-file creation....

did you use my scripts in nat-start to restore the ipset after boot? I know I have encountered similar issues with nat-start during boot. it seems to execute nat-start many times virtually simultaneously, which means it kind of blocks itself. thus the "sleep 10" but sometimes maybe not enough? perhaps something more elaborate is needed, like a lock-file creation....
Yes, I use this script around a month with no problem before yesterday:

/jffs/scripts/nat-start

Code:
IPSET_LIST="unblockip"

for IPSET_NAME in $IPSET_LIST; do
   if [ "$(ipset list -n "$IPSET_NAME" 2>/dev/null)" != "$IPSET_NAME" ]; then #if ipset does not already exist
      if [ -s "/mnt/sda1/entware/home/$IPSET_NAME" ]; then #if a backup file exists
         ipset restore -! <"/mnt/sda1/entware/home/$IPSET_NAME" #restore ipset
         cru a "$IPSET_NAME" "0 2 * * * ipset save $IPSET_NAME > /mnt/sda1/entware/home/$IPSET_NAME" >/dev/null 2>&1 # create cron job for autosave
      fi
   fi
done

I use x3mRouting to manage ipset, the script itself check for Entware readiness before proceed to restore ipset. Perhaps need to do something similar before restore the ipset?
Regarding multiple re-run of nat-start script, I use the concept from @eibgrad to serialize the re-run.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# required for serialization when reentry is possible
LOCK="/tmp/$(basename $0).lock"
acquire_lock() { while ! mkdir $LOCK &>/dev/null; do sleep 2; done; }
release_lock() { rmdir $LOCK &>/dev/null; }

# exit (any concurrent instance(s) may now run)
exit_0() { release_lock; exit 0; }

# one instance at a time
acquire_lock

logger -t $(basename $0) "Started [$@]"

## existing scripts ##

logger -t $(basename $0) "Completed [$@]"
exit_0

This is how the sequence looks like. The second run only start after the first run is completed.
Code:
May  5 13:05:25 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/nat-start
May  5 13:05:25 nat-start: Started []
Oct  1 12:53:28 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/nat-start
Oct  1 12:53:37 RT-AC86U-DBA8 nat-start: Completed []             
Oct  1 12:53:39 RT-AC86U-DBA8 nat-start: Started []             
Oct  1 12:53:45 RT-AC86U-DBA8 nat-start: Completed []

I use x3mRouting to manage ipset, the script itself check for Entware readiness before proceed to restore ipset.
Entware would not need to be ready (?) Ipset is part of the firmware and should be restore-able before Entware is up (I would assume). But now that I think about it, the usb drive needs to be up, but I would assume
Code:
if [ -s "/mnt/sda1/entware/home/$IPSET_NAME" ]
Would return FALSE if sda1 is not mounted and nothing restored this event. So the ipset wouldn't even be created. Certainly not restore it blank???

This is how the sequence looks like. The second run only start after the first run is completed.
Ooh, that is nice. Always top-quality from @eibgrad. Perhaps @numminorih could try it out as wrap-around my script and see if it solves the issue (altough it may take some months to find out)...

Last edited:
Entware would not need to be ready (?) Ipset is part of the firmware and should be restore-able before Entware is up (I would assume). But now that I think about it, the usb drive needs to be up, but I would assume
Code:
if [ -s "/mnt/sda1/entware/home/$IPSET_NAME" ]
Would return FALSE if sda1 is not mounted and nothing restored this event. So the ipset wouldn't even be created. Certainly not restore it blank???
You are right, no need to wait for Entware. Only need to wait for usb drive.

How can I allow peers to talk to each other? I can ping server to peer and peer to server but I can't ping peer to peer.

Could somebody help me with a site 2 site setup please?

I am running the WireGuard server on my AX86U and have a Windows 10 PC connected as a peer/client, it has to be connected this way due to the inbound firewall on the Windows 10 PC LAN. I would like to be able to talk to the LAN of the connected Windows 10 PC. I have found some guides but they all seem to be Linux based and I can't get it working.

I have no issues with connecting to the Windows 10 PC via the WireGuard IP and I can now talk both ways but it would be a bonus if I could get access to the LAN as well.

Could somebody help me with a site 2 site setup please?

I am running the WireGuard server on my AX86U and have a Windows 10 PC connected as a peer/client, it has to be connected this way due to the inbound firewall on the Windows 10 PC LAN. I would like to be able to talk to the LAN of the connected Windows 10 PC. I have found some guides but they all seem to be Linux based and I can't get it working.

I have no issues with connecting to the Windows 10 PC via the WireGuard IP and I can now talk both ways but it would be a bonus if I could get access to the LAN as well.
You would need to turn on ip forwarding on your windows machine in order for it to pass packages between networks
https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.wikihow.com/Enable-IP-Routing-on-Windows-10?amp=1

But that alone would not be enough. You would also need to add a route on the router of the windows machine lan. Telling it that your other lan is via windows machine.

Edit: @evlo did a similar setup with a linux machine behind the router and managed to setup site-2-site. Perhaps he has more input.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/session-manager-discussion-3rd-thread.78317/post-780728

Last edited:
Ok, will try, please advise where can I find your script?
I thought you could merge @eibgrad script posted by @chongnt above with what you already have...

but I'll added a check for you that waits a maximum of 30sec for the USB-Drive to be mounted and if it fails it will give you a log message.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
############################################################
exit_0() { release_lock; exit 0; } # exit (any concurrent instance(s) may now run)
# one instance at a time
acquire_lock
logger -t $(basename $0) "Started [$@]"

##
## Put existing nat-start directives here
##

## IPSET restore:
IPSET_LIST="unblockip"
MAX_TRIES=30 #Retries every second [MAX_TRIES] amount of times.

TRIES="0"
while [ "$TRIES" -lt "$MAX_TRIES" ]; do
    if [ -d "/mnt/sda1/entware/home" ]; then
           if [ "$(ipset list -n "$IPSET_NAME" 2>/dev/null)" != "$IPSET_NAME" ]; then #if ipset does not already exist
                  if [ -s "/mnt/sda1/entware/home/$IPSET_NAME" ]; then #if a backup file exists
                     ipset restore -! <"/mnt/sda1/entware/home/$IPSET_NAME" #restore ipset
                     cru a "$IPSET_NAME" "0 2 * * * ipset save $IPSET_NAME > /mnt/sda1/entware/home/$IPSET_NAME" >/dev/null 2>&1 # create cron job for autosave
                     logger -t $(basename $0) "IPSET restored: $IPSET_NAME"
                  fi
           fi
       done
       break #all done
    else
           sleep 1
           TRIES=$((TRIES + 1))
           if [ "$TRIES" == "$MAX_TRIES" ]; then
               logger -t $(basename $0) "Warning: Failed to detect mounted USB-Drive within $MAX_TRIES seconds! IPSET not restored!"
           fi
    fi
done
exit_0

I have merged the code above and put in @eibgrad code for serialization and added check for usb-drive. It gets a bit bigger and harder to understand/overview but hopefully now it will give a more predictable outcome.

I never tested the entire script, only different sections, so I hope there is no typo... if anyone finds any please let me know.

Perhaps a good idea to destroy your ipset and test run the script before to see that they get restored properly (and check so that there are no complaints from the shell)

Last edited:
You would need to turn on ip forwarding on your windows machine in order for it to pass packages between networks
https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.wikihow.com/Enable-IP-Routing-on-Windows-10?amp=1

But that alone would not be enough. You would also need to add a route on the router of the windows machine lan. Telling it that your other lan is via windows machine.

Edit: @evlo did a similar setup with a linux machine behind the router and managed to setup site-2-site. Perhaps he has more input.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/session-manager-discussion-3rd-thread.78317/post-780728
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the router, I'll have a read through that thread and see what I can do.

Ok, will try, please advise where can I find your script?
Had some time today to test the nat-start script and found acouple of typos. I also added a variable for you to choose storage location:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exit_0() { release_lock; exit 0; } # exit (any concurrent instance(s) may now run)
acquire_lock # one instance at a time
logger -t $(basename $0) "Started"

##
##

IPSET_LIST="unblockip" #List of ipsets to restore
DIR="/mnt/sda1/entware/home" #directory for store ipset
MAX_TRIES=30 #Retries to find usb every second [MAX_TRIES] amount of times.

## Normally nothing need to be changed below ##
TRIES="0"
    if [ -d "$DIR" ]; then
                if [ -s "$DIR/$IPSET_NAME" ]; then #if a backup file exists
                    ipset restore -! <"$DIR/$IPSET_NAME" #restore ipset
                    cru a "$IPSET_NAME" "0 2 * * * ipset save $IPSET_NAME > $DIR/$IPSET_NAME" >/dev/null 2>&1 # create cron job for autosave
                fi
            fi
        done
        break
    else
        sleep 1
        TRIES=$((TRIES + 1))
        if [ "$TRIES" -eq "$MAX_TRIES" ]; then
            logger -t $(basename $0) "Warning: Failed to detect mounted USB-Drive within $MAX_TRIES seconds! IPSET not restored!"
        fi
    fi
done
exit_0

Last edited:
Had some time today to test the nat-start script and found acouple of typos. I also added a variable for you to choose storage location:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
acquire_lock # one instance at a time
logger -t $(basename $0) "Started"

##
##

IPSET_LIST="unblockip" #List of ipsets to restore
DIR="/mnt/sda1/entware/home" #directory for store ipset
MAX_TRIES=30 #Retries to find usb every second [MAX_TRIES] amount of times.

## Normally nothing need to be changed below ##
TRIES="0"
    if [ -d "$DIR" ]; then
                if [ -s "$DIR/$IPSET_NAME" ]; then #if a backup file exists
                    ipset restore -! <"$DIR/$IPSET_NAME" #restore ipset
                    cru a "$IPSET_NAME" "0 2 * * * ipset save $IPSET_NAME > $DIR/$IPSET_NAME" >/dev/null 2>&1 # create cron job for autosave
                fi
            fi
        done
        break
    else
        sleep 1
        TRIES=$((TRIES + 1))
        if [ "$TRIES" -eq "$MAX_TRIES" ]; then
        fi
    fi
done
exit_0
Thx, I'll try this.

Are these the latest available kernel and tools?

Code:
 getmodules

Downloading WireGuard® Kernel module 'wireguard-kernel_1.0.20220627-RT-AC86U_aarch64-3.10.ipk' for RT-AC86U (v386.7_2) @ZebMcKayhan
Success!

Downloading WireGuard® User space Tool 'wireguard-tools_1.0.20210914-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk' for RT-AC86U (v386.7_2) @ZebMcKayhan
Success!

Are these the latest available kernel and tools?

Code:
 getmodules

Downloading WireGuard® Kernel module 'wireguard-kernel_1.0.20220627-RT-AC86U_aarch64-3.10.ipk' for RT-AC86U (v386.7_2) @ZebMcKayhan
Success!

Downloading WireGuard® User space Tool 'wireguard-tools_1.0.20210914-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk' for RT-AC86U (v386.7_2) @ZebMcKayhan
Success!
Why don't you check the release page from the Wireguard team:
Kernel modules:
https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-linux-compat/

User-space tools:
https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-tools/

Ive updated the section about creating ipsets:
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/WireguardManager/blob/main/README.md#create-and-setup-ipsets
And moved the script to a separate file and execute in the post-mount script, so it will run each boot after usb-drive is mounted.

according to https://www.snbforums.com/threads/push-syslog-msg-from-nat-start.81332/ There is still a chance that, if you are using scribe, some initial syslog messages might be lost. However the setup works well on my router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!