What's new

Setting aimesh nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Geezerz

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

new to the forums. I am currently trying to set up aimesh using the older Asus Lyra Trio AC1750 with a pair of Asus AX6100. I was wondering if it makes any difference which nodes I use as a main node, i.e., will it affect the performance of the mesh network.

Thanks

Do you actually need all 5 (? - I assume you mean a pair of RT-AX92U's instead of a pair of Asus AX6100's, which is a 2-pack of RT-AX92U's) or else 7 nodes (3 x Lyra Trio 1750 and 4 x RT-AX92 for coverage? The thing is that AC and AX nodes don't always combine well. You can read at several places on the forum that AC and AX nodes combined don't offer a stable mesh network, because of their different specs. I'd use one of the RT-AC92U as main router, but depending on the surface you need to cover I'd try to use only AX nodes to build your mesh network.

Do you actually need all 5 (? - I assume you mean a pair of RT-AX92U's instead of a pair of Asus AX6100's, which is a 2-pack of RT-AX92U's) or else 7 nodes (3 x Lyra Trio 1750 and 4 x RT-AX92 for coverage? The thing is that AC and AX nodes don't always combine well. You can read at several places on the forum that AC and AX nodes combined don't offer a stable mesh network, because of their different specs. I'd use one of the RT-AC92U as main router, but depending on the surface you need to cover I'd try to use only AX nodes to build your mesh network.
Thanks for the explanation. And yes, you are correct, I am using a pair of RT-AX92U's. And I've been getting connectivity issues. I might have to return the pair of RT-AX92. I needed to have more than 3 nodes because I'm trying to cover three floors in total, with 1000 sqft on the basement, 2000 sqft on the main floor, and 1000 sqft on the second floor. Problem is that the connection doesn't reach the second floor properly because my house was built out of concrete. I've basically been using two lyras as a node but right next to the window in order to get proper reception. That leaves the back of the house wifi-free.

I might settle for another AC aimesh compatible set, since buying all AX will prove to be quite expensive.

Thanks

I purchased an AC86U, XT8 and XD4s for mesh but all are having the same problems on AiMesh. Now I am temporarily (which might become permanent) using a cheap range N extender and its working well for the past 2 days. No disconnects. Speeds are near my actual internet subscribed-speed. Now I somehow am starting not to believe on the speed WiFi5/6 can bring us. I never had these speeds when using AiMesh. With a range extender I am getting much better speed ... and come to think of it, I just purchased a cheap TpLink range extender as I am just thinking of a temporary solution which now might end up my permanent solution.

I purchased an AC86U, XT8 and XD4s for mesh but all are having the same problems on AiMesh. Now I am temporarily (which might become permanent) using a cheap range N extender and its working well for the past 2 days. No disconnects. Speeds are near my actual internet subscribed-speed. Now I somehow am starting not to believe on the speed WiFi5/6 can bring us. I never had these speeds when using AiMesh. With a range extender I am getting much better speed ... and come to think of it, I just purchased a cheap TpLink range extender as I am just thinking of a temporary solution which now might end up my permanent solution.
Thanks for sharing.

I am using a set of Asus Lyra Trio AC1750, and was going to buy another set since I saw a set of Asus Lyra AC2200 on special at Canada Computers. I then found the Asus Lyra Trio AC1750 for even cheaper on Amazon so I will be using two sets of AC1750s. I'm hoping to have one in the basement, 3 on the main floor, and two on the second floor. Hopefully it does the job for me. The kind of speed I get from my current set up is like 70 mbps on the second floor (which is the most crucial in my case since I don't have access to RJ45 wires from there). Just for context, my internet speed is 100 mbps.

Thanks for sharing.

I am using a set of Asus Lyra Trio AC1750, and was going to buy another set since I saw a set of Asus Lyra AC2200 on special at Canada Computers. I then found the Asus Lyra Trio AC1750 for even cheaper on Amazon so I will be using two sets of AC1750s. I'm hoping to have one in the basement, 3 on the main floor, and two on the second floor. Hopefully it does the job for me. The kind of speed I get from my current set up is like 70 mbps on the second floor (which is the most crucial in my case since I don't have access to RJ45 wires from there). Just for context, my internet speed is 100 mbps.
How is your lyra map-ac2200 experience? I heard the signal is bad even with newer fimrware, have you tried the 386 beta firmware which has aimesh 2.0 posted here?

How is your lyra map-ac2200 experience? I heard the signal is bad even with newer fimrware, have you tried the 386 beta firmware which has aimesh 2.0 posted here?
I've been using the 386 beta firmware for my Lyra Trio, and found that it seems to work better than the older stable firmware. It's stable and robust enough that I've been able to decide to put them back into my AiMesh mix together with my newer Asus routers.

Have to say I never had any luck with the AX92U. Swapped them for AX56U and they've been pretty much flawless for over a year of heavy work-from-home use. I've also just added an AX55 to one of the networks to cover the outside workshop, and it seems to be a 56U without the USB ports, and works just as well as the 56U.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!