What's new

Setting up Transmission through Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help i install in asus merlin entware.But i get this error
/dev/sda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/dev/sda2: Inode 8 has EXTENTS_FL flag set on filesystem without extents support.

/dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options) fsck command not found.Please help.I use ext3 file system.

Ok thanks for reply.But why asus merlin use old kernel 2.6.22.19?Openwrt and ddwrt use new kernel 3.10.2 or higher.

1) For stability. This is the kernel officially supported by Broadcom. It avoids having to deal with random issues introduced by running a non-supported kernel. For instance it was impossible to use an ext3 HDD with DD-WRT and an RT-N66U for months, as there was a problem with the kernel they used that would cause a kernel panic.

2) Part of the binary files are precompiled, and won't work on any other kernel version that the one used for compiling. DD-WRT for instance doesn't have HW acceleration - the module that provides it is precompiled by Broadcom for a specific kernel (not even Asus has the source code for that one - Broadcom must compile it for them for the specific kernel version AND options that Asus uses). Same with the NTFS driver used by Asuswrt (which is miles ahead of the open-source NTFS3G in terms of performance).

kiesa1231
But why asus merlin use old kernel 2.6.22.19?Openwrt and ddwrt use new kernel 3.10.2 or higher.
If you make Broadcom drivers work with any other kernel than the one they are shipped with, you'll be proclaimed as a national hero.

Please help i install in asus merlin entware.But i get this error
/dev/sda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/dev/sda2: Inode 8 has EXTENTS_FL flag set on filesystem without extents support.

/dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options) fsck command not found.Please help.I use ext3 file system.

This problem is solved.I refrormat 2gb partition to ext3 with gparted live cd.Now asus merlin not show this error in webif.When asus show this error partitoon was formated with mini tools partition wizard home edition.Very nice download speed now with transmission.And i can use remote gui in windows or in android.Very very thanks woking great.

Hello when update all entware packages?Now packages is too old.Need latest transmission and minidlna packages.

Hello when update all entware packages?Now packages is too old.Need latest transmission and minidlna packages.
Hi,

The latest reslease version of Transmission is 2.82 (see homepage). The latest Entware Transmission version is 2.80 for the Asus router.
Code:
"opkg list" shows:
transmission-cli - 2.80-1 - CLI utilities for transmission.
transmission-daemon - 2.80-1 - Transmission is a simple BitTorrent client. It features a very simple, intuitive interface on top on an efficient, cross-platform back-end. This package contains the daemon itself.
transmission-remote - 2.80-1 - CLI remote interface for transmission.
transmission-web - 2.80-1 - Webinterface resources for transmission.

Anything you need from the 0.02 version difference? :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
I know ryzhov_al (Entware maintainer) was recently on vacation. Be patient, people who work on such projects are human beings, with their own schedule :)

I know also he usually doesn't upgrade every time a new version is released. In addition to being quite time-consuming, he wants to avoid updating to a new version that might be broken.

Hello all please help.I start download with asus rt-n16 many torrents.And after night transmission daemon and minidlna stopped working.Need manually start transmission and minidlna processes or reboot router.How fix this problem?Minidlna and transmission is entware packages installed in ext3 partition.Asus merlin integrated minidlna is disabled.I created swap partition but not help.

Last edited:
Hi,
Hello all please help.
Can you please start a new thread for you specific need for help? :rolleyes:
His is the installation thread and you should not post here you specific runtime problems - as installation worked well! :eek:
...And after night transmission daemon and minidlna stopped working.Need manually start transmission and minidlna processes or reboot router.How fix this problem?Minidlna and transmission is entware packages installed in ext3 partition.Asus merlin integrated minidlna is disabled.I created swap partition but not help.
Are there transmission entries in the systemlog.log file? You can grep the systemlog by:
Code:
grep -i transmission /tmp/syslog.log
Or any other problems logged during the night in the systemlog?

Check if swap is working and really used with the free command:
Code:
chief@ASUS_RT-N66U:/jffs/scripts# [B]free[/B]
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        239844       174096        65748            0        12528
-/+ buffers:             161568        78276
[B]Swap:        64252         2232        62020[/B]

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Anything you need from the 0.02 version difference? :rolleyes:
This is my favourite question for version-racers. I never heard an answer for past years:)

In addition to being quite time-consuming, he wants to avoid updating to a new version that might be broken.
Just give me a couple of days to sync Entware with OpenWRT trunk. Transmission 2.82 is on the way.

How do I update transmission? I have it running at the moment, so I assume I have to stop it before I update it.

Quick question: I'm trying to copy an .srt file to the completed folder of a torrent video I downloaded using transmission but I'm getting this error:
UGQpB3f.png

This are my settings:
eN0fx6u.png

And yes, the workgroup names are set correctly.
Any help is deeply appreciated.

Can someone enlighten my naïveté and explain why one would want to use Transmission via Entware vs the built in Download Master?

I used DM once just to check it out, but if I'm doing torrents I tend to use the Download Station on my Synology

Can someone enlighten my naïveté and explain why one would want to use Transmission via Entware vs the built in Download Master?

I used DM once just to check it out, but if I'm doing torrents I tend to use the Download Station on my Synology

Download Master uses a very old version of Transmission (2.22 or something close to that), and isn't as optimized as the Entware one. It also comes with aMule, with no real way to disable it.

Quick question: I'm trying to copy an .srt file to the completed folder of a torrent video I downloaded using transmission but I'm getting this error:
UGQpB3f.png

This are my settings:
eN0fx6u.png

And yes, the workgroup names are set correctly.
Any help is deeply appreciated.

Set "umask": 0, in settings.json
If you want to change permission to folders go to FTP share tab and do it from there.

After a reboot I keep getting the error below. Everything works fine after the install but as soon as I reboot the error appears below. I follow the instructions exactly 3x's and it does the same thing. I have an ext3 4 gig partition and an NTFS 500 gig partition. Also after a reboot it looks like all the scripts are gone from the jffs location. Running latest Beta 5 Rmerlin Any ideas? Thanks

*EDIT*

Resolved after going to Beta 6.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
I installed transmission for entware on my AC66U a couple months ago and I use it regularly, but not for big torrent files of let's say larger than 10gig. Whenever I start a large download, the router becomes unresponsive. I can't log into the router's web GUI or the transmission web GUI or even use putty to telnet in. Browsing the internet is still possible, but that's it. Canceling the download isn't possible either.

I know that when a torrent is started, the file has to be allocated on the USB drive and that can take up to an hour or longer depending on the size of the download. But during the allocation there's no way to see what transmission is doing, because the web GUI just doesn't respond. I've tried to download a couple of those large torrents, but had to reboot the router manually every time, because it stops downloading and freezes up the router's web server.

Smaller downloads of say 3 GB work great, but I really want to be able to download those bigger torrents when my computer is switched off. Is there a setting or script that I don't know of, that can fix this for me? Or is this a transmission for entware limitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!