What's new

Setting up Transmission through Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

Glad to be a member now in this wonderful forum.

I'm currently using Asus RT-N66U as my router and having Transmission Remote GUI as my torrent manager. I have two questions.

1. How do I set my path mappings in Transmission Remote GUI if my torrent folder
directories go like these, just as what the installation guide said,

/mnt/sda1/Torrent/Completed
/mnt/sda1/Torrent/Incomplete
/mnt/sda1/Torrent/Watch

I can see all these directories in Windows Explorer of my PC under "Network/RT-
N66U/Torrent/" with my torrent files.

I tried in vain in getting to "open containing folder" of my running torrents but
always got the "Unable to find path mapping" prompt.

2. I currently have Transmission 2.83. How do i get to 2.84 as this is already
available from its website? Tried to do "opkg update" and "opkg upgrade" but
nothing changes.
1. Try "/mnt/sda1/=\\RT-N66U" without the quotation marks, and make sure that the storage is mounted as sda1 or whatever you type there.

2. The reason opkg upgrade doesn't upgrade you to 2.84 is because it has not been compiled and added to the entware repository yet. Only entware maintainers can do that. If you still need 2.84 you'll have to compile it yourself; see: https://code.google.com/p/wl500g-repo/source/browse/trunk/INSTALL

1. Try "/mnt/sda1/=\\RT-N66U" without the quotation marks, and make sure that the storage is mounted as sda1 or whatever you type there.

2. The reason opkg upgrade doesn't upgrade you to 2.84 is because it has not been compiled and added to the entware repository yet. Only entware maintainers can do that. If you still need 2.84 you'll have to compile it yourself; see: https://code.google.com/p/wl500g-repo/source/browse/trunk/INSTALL

path mapping still not working as suggested. made sure usb storage is mounted as sda1.

I'm trying to setup email notifications as per this guide, but something goes wrong.
In particular the script isn't working: if I execute it via telnet it returns that /tmp/tmail.txt doesn't exist. I've then changed the path (in the script) of the tmail.txt file to the root of my usb hdd, so that I can see if the file is created.
Then I browsed (through Network Places) to that directory and this way I saw that instead of tmail.txt another file with a silly name is created ("TH8BKS~H", with no extension). The strange thing however is that if via telnet I type "ls" in that directory I see that the file is actually called tmail.txt (i.e. the correct name)! :confused:
I can open this file with notepad++ and its content is what it is supposed to be (the text of the email). However if I open it with "vi" it appears empty (I've tried both of the filenames)! :eek:

Could anyone please give me a hint? :eek:

are you sure the filename isn't .tmail.txt, with a leading dot because if it is, it's hidden file under unix

No, it's that stupid name. It's not hidden. I have a little knowledge about bash scripts, but I can't figure this out. :mad:

I'm trying to setup email notifications as per this guide, but something goes wrong.
In particular the script isn't working: if I execute it via telnet it returns that /tmp/tmail.txt doesn't exist. I've then changed the path (in the script) of the tmail.txt file to the root of my usb hdd, so that I can see if the file is created.
Then I browsed (through Network Places) to that directory and this way I saw that instead of tmail.txt another file with a silly name is created ("TH8BKS~H", with no extension). The strange thing however is that if via telnet I type "ls" in that directory I see that the file is actually called tmail.txt (i.e. the correct name)! :confused:
I can open this file with notepad++ and its content is what it is supposed to be (the text of the email). However if I open it with "vi" it appears empty (I've tried both of the filenames)!

Could anyone please give me a hint? :eek:

Forget it, it was the txt format (not UNIX). I was editing it with notepad++, so I couldn't notice it wasn't UNIX format. :mad:

However, there's one more thing I'd like to point out. I've needed to change the line
Code:
echo "From: \\"$FROMNAME\\"<$FROM>" >>/tmp/tmail.txt
to
Code:
echo "From: \"$FROMNAME\"<$FROM>" >>/tmp/tmail.txt

Id est, I deleted one backslash. With two of them it wasn't showing the $FROMNAME in the mail I receive.

The last thing, the guide doesn't mention that you need to make the script executable with:
Code:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*
That should be obvious, but let's help linux noobs. :eek:

Hi I'm totally newby in command line and unix os.
I have ac68u and wdmycloud and I need to save files from Transmission to this network hard drive. Probably by SMB protocole, but I havent idea how to make it. Your instruction was for shared folder on pc, but how to make it with LAN hard drive? Please help me.

I'm tired to wait script-torrent-added implementation in newer versions and added it to Entware package. Now you can call some script after torrent has been added.

As for me, I'm using it to add some trackers automatically, which can be handy for dead torrents. You'll get following syslog messages after adding torrent:
Code:
Mar 4 13:39:50 tr_added.sh: Adding http://retracker.krs-ix.ru:80/announce to debian-8.3.0-amd64-CD-1.iso
Mar 4 13:39:50 tr_added.sh: Adding http://explodie.org:6969/announce to debian-8.3.0-amd64-CD-1.iso
Mar 4 13:39:50 tr_added.sh: Adding http://mgtracker.org:2710/announce to debian-8.3.0-amd64-CD-1.iso
Mar 4 13:39:50 tr_added.sh: Adding http://tracker.aletorrenty.pl:2710/announce to debian-8.3.0-amd64-CD-1.iso
Mar 4 13:39:50 tr_added.sh: Adding http://tracker.bittorrent.am/announce to debian-8.3.0-amd64-CD-1.iso
or another, if you are out of luck:)
Code:
Mar 4 13:24:52 tr_added.sh: No additional trackers found for debian-8.3.0-amd64-CD-2.iso, sorry.

Can someone tell me why my ram fills up to about 90% then my transmission speed drops right off and the ram empties itself. Then transmission speeds back up, ram slowly fills back up and repeats?

Router = RT-AC3200
Firmware = Merlin 380.58
USB HDD = USB2 250GB

Thanks

Can someone tell me why my ram fills up to about 90% then my transmission speed drops right off and the ram empties itself. Then transmission speeds back up, ram slowly fills back up and repeats?

Router = RT-AC3200
Firmware = Merlin 380.58
USB HDD = USB2 250GB

Thanks

The router and os are working as expected. Try decreasing the amount of connections the router (and transmission) can make when torrenting if you want more steady performance.

I have set up transmission using Merlin's wiki guide which doesn't mention creating a swap file.
But this guide mentions creating a swap file.

Is this problem with ram filling up not related to the swap file?

Or is the swap file from the entware installation being used?

Thanks

Possible shot in the dark, but is it possible you're getting more data throughput than can be written to disk?

Possible shot in the dark, but is it possible you're getting more data throughput than can be written to disk?

I originally thought that but my fibre connection maxes out at 4MB/s and USB2 should easily handle that so i dont think that is the issue. I could be wrong though.

I'm tired to wait script-torrent-added implementation in newer versions and added it to Entware package. Now you can call some script after torrent has been added.

As for me, I'm using it to add some trackers automatically, which can be handy for dead torrents.

When I thought of the need of such an event trigger, I saw a patch people have been discussing for years but not included in the mainstream. When I was about to patch my Entware installation, found the patch was already included in the latest release which I happened to accidentally update a few days before. Amazing work! Amazing user experience..

I use script-torrent-add to add firewall rules to open up the peer listening port.

For some reason, Transmission won't install its files in /opt/etc . I've installed joe, nano, fake-hwclock, and dnscrypt-proxy packages just fine but files like
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission don't exist. The only transmission related thing I can find on my flash drive via FTP is the folder /opt/share/transmission (and its contents). I've tried this with the flash drive formatted as ext2, and ext3. No errors show up during installation. Nothing shows up in the system log accessed by the WebUI. I installed entware by using the "entware-setup.sh" script. I installed transmission with these instructions: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installing-Transmission-through-Entware but had to stop due to not having those files. Anybody know anything about this?

Do you see them if you ssh or telnet to that directory on your flash drive?

Do you see them if you ssh or telnet to that directory on your flash drive?
Nope.
Code:
admin@RT-AC66R-B640:/tmp/home/root# opkg install transmission-web
Installing transmission-web (2.92-3) to root...
Downloading http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/mipsel/transmission-web_2.92-3_mipselsf.ipk.
Configuring transmission-web.
admin@RT-AC66R-B640:/tmp/home/root# ls /opt/etc/init.d
S01fake-hwclock  S09dnscrypt-proxy  rc.func  rc.unslung

That's odd, what firmware version are you running?
This should be the contents of S88transmission:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=transmission-daemon
ARGS="-g /opt/etc/transmission"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME="/opt/share/transmission/web"

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

Files in transmission directory:

drwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 4096 Mar 24 00:03 blocklists
-rw------- 1 admin root 376 Aug 6 15:41 dht.dat
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 4096 Jul 18 15:23 resume
-rw------- 1 admin root 2552 Aug 6 15:41 settings.json
-rw------- 1 admin root 2234 Mar 24 00:03 settings.json-opkg
-rw------- 1 admin root 159 May 9 11:47 stats.json
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 4096 Jul 18 15:23 torrents
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 4096 Mar 24 00:03 watchdir

That's odd, what firmware version are you running?
This should be the contents of S88transmission:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=transmission-daemon
ARGS="-g /opt/etc/transmission"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME="/opt/share/transmission/web"

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

Files in transmission directory:

drwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 4096 Mar 24 00:03 blocklists
-rw------- 1 admin root 376 Aug 6 15:41 dht.dat
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 4096 Jul 18 15:23 resume
-rw------- 1 admin root 2552 Aug 6 15:41 settings.json
-rw------- 1 admin root 2234 Mar 24 00:03 settings.json-opkg
-rw------- 1 admin root 159 May 9 11:47 stats.json
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 4096 Jul 18 15:23 torrents
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 4096 Mar 24 00:03 watchdir

I'm running 380.61. Also, I don't know what to do with that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!