What's new

Tutorial SFP GPON MGTS ASUS RT-AX89X - Works in 2023 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ucoms

New Around Here
SFP GPON MGTS ASUS RT-AX89X - Works in 2023 2024

Video:
#

Instructions for configuring the GPON SFP module for ASUS RT-AX89X
1. Buy a module netmod.ru netmod-SFPXBR2GR together with the SFP module "Green optical Attenuator SC/APC-SC/UPC" in the same netmod store and insert it into Asus
But if you have a blue connector, most likely it is UPC, you do not need to buy an adapter.

1.1 - Update the asus firmware to 9.0.0.4.388_32386

2. We set the first wan in the asus router to work with sfp 10g
- Set the static ip 192.168.1.2
- subnet mask 255.255.255.0
- the main gateway 192.168.1.1
click apply (the router is rebooting)

3. Go to the sfp module 192.168.1.1
You need to set the settings to take them from the MGTS router, you need to go to it.
We connect the MGTS router to any outlet in the house, connect to it via WIFI from the phone, go to the browser, go to the IP 192.168.1.1
Login password mgts / mtsoao (on other routers of another brand there may be other login password, search the Internet) it is better to immediately ask the MGTS engineer for this data.

4. As a result, you are now connected to the SFP module from your computer
And from the phone you are connected to the MGTS router

Find all the settings on the MGTS router and rewrite them into the sfp module.
Main Settings:
- LOID XPON
- PLOAM Password
- GPON SN
- Device Serial Number
- VLAN Settings --- PVID
All save Apply Changes

5. Reboot the SFP module via Commit/Reboot

6. We go to the Asus router, set the automatic IP acquisition mode, apply, reboot.

7. Go back to the Asus router, go to the Local network - Switch management
We set the TX clock - ON, GPON module's IP address - 192.168.1.1
click "Apply"

We are waiting for the router to load, check the received WAN IP, check the Internet in 5-10 minutes, if the WAN IP has come, it's better to drink tea, everything should work soon.

For other questions, write comments, or directly to telegram @ucoms, our engineer Ivan @poruhal
Network modifications @netmodru

Last edited:
<sigh>
I'm conflicted:
one part of me wants to reply to your "drink tea and relax" with "while Putin and Xi infiltrate your home network?"
another part of me is thinking "maybe there are non-russian/chinese parts that work"

for faster connection, you'd probably need to clone the MAC address of the provider equipment you're looking to eliminate

<sigh>
I'm conflicted:
one part of me wants to reply to your "drink tea and relax" with "while Putin and Xi infiltrate your home network?"
another part of me is thinking "maybe there are non-russian/chinese parts that work"

for faster connection, you'd probably need to clone the MAC address of the provider equipment you're looking to eliminate
Hello!

I'm sorry, friend, but I don't understand you.
I think it is impossible to communicate on political topics on the forum.

We are all mere mortals, we all live +- the same life, family, work, friends, rest!

Therefore, any average person in any country has the same attitude to the situation that is happening now.

I couldn't understand you, why do I need to clone the MAC address?
why should I get rid of the provider?

everything is working fine for me now. I'm happy I was able to set it up.

I currently have three providers at my disposal.

1. MGTS 1 gbit (good ping 2 milliseconds)
2. beeline 500 mbps (bad ping 18 milliseconds)
3. megaphone 100 mbps (good ping 1.74 milliseconds)

I plan to abandon the Beeline provider and return the megafon provider
But I am waiting for an engineer who will replace my cable with a 6-7 category.

Then I'll be happy x2

<sigh>
I'm conflicted:

This company is not Russian but Chinese. They are Chinese in disguise.

Hello!

I'm sorry, friend, but I don't understand you.
I think it is impossible to communicate on political topics on the forum.

We are all mere mortals, we all live +- the same life, family, work, friends, rest!

Therefore, any average person in any country has the same attitude to the situation that is happening now.

I couldn't understand you, why do I need to clone the MAC address?
why should I get rid of the provider?

everything is working fine for me now. I'm happy I was able to set it up.

I currently have three providers at my disposal.

1. MGTS 1 gbit (good ping 2 milliseconds)
2. beeline 500 mbps (bad ping 18 milliseconds)
3. megaphone 100 mbps (good ping 1.74 milliseconds)

I plan to abandon the Beeline provider and return the megafon provider
But I am waiting for an engineer who will replace my cable with a 6-7 category.

Then I'll be happy x2
Some ISPs look for the MAC of the equipment they provide you to confirm the authentication, so cloning MAC address of provider equipment for faster authentication of your router solves the "be patient/wait" issue.
Choose ISP based on speeds provided being symmetical - 1Gbps download is fast, but not so great if you can only upload at 20-50Mbps

@ucoms Thanks!!!

@TAGTRAUM - Incorrect.. I am absolutely interested in this exact topic..!

If anything this illustrates PON connection to ISP via AX89X SFP+ port!

Now the *only* thing on my mind is ..How to convert this to work on UK kit/networks. Like BT's FTTP / 21CN networks, so to be able to bypass or augment ONT modem LAN to AX89X WAN 10G SFP+ to work directly off the pigtail/splice coming in from the node outside or even from the ONT directly to the AX89X 10G SFP+ port..

@heysoundude Yes MAC address can be used in establishing CHAP/PPP session and by cloning a LAN device (As I have in my settings), like the 1st hop LAN device in my network, as some ISP may enforce none authorised use of 3rd party routers and for other reasons.. But This post shows Proof of concept.. "That it is indeed possible to get PON working off the SFP+ port on the AX89X."

As for the politics, personally, I think that should be left for other venues more suited for such discourse (even though such venues are slowly becoming harder and harder to find nowadays! BUT IRC still works =).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!