What's new

Sharing USB in Mesh configuration.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bertilak

Regular Contributor
I currently have an ASUS RT-AC86U with an attached USB drive. I am considering a Mesh configuration but wonder if this shared USB drive will remain accessible as I move my laptop around the house, from one Mesh AP to the other. Assuming this works, does the USB drive need to be attached to the "main" mesh system?

It is used for backup that runs automatically on an hourly basis.

If your USB is being hosted at your router using SMB etc. Then Asus mesh should work fine. I don't know if you need the USB to be plugged in to the main router though. Never tried using Asus mesh before.

If your USB is being hosted at your router using SMB etc. Then Asus mesh should work fine. I don't know if you need the USB to be plugged in to the main router though. Never tried using Asus mesh before.
Thanks.

SMB is the sharing method. The shared network location is mapped (by my laptop) to a drive letter ("X:") and "X:\backup" is where I point the backup program to as the backup destination.

But that leaves two questions:
  1. Have you used mesh other than Asus?
  2. Does plugging into the satellite system's USB port vs the base system's make a differences?

Thanks.

SMB is the sharing method. The shared network location is mapped (by my laptop) to a drive letter ("X:") and "X:\backup" is where I point the backup program to as the backup destination.

But that leaves two questions:
  1. Have you used mesh other than Asus?
  2. Does plugging into the satellite system's USB port vs the base system's make a differences?
I don't use mesh. But, Asus mesh system should act like an AP instead of a router so the IP should be the same. This means if your main router is hosting the SMB server. It should still be fine when you're connected to the other mesh.

For number 2 I don't know for sure. I do know that it should work fine if you're connecting it to the main router's USB port.

I am considering a Mesh configuration but wonder if this shared USB drive will remain accessible

Yes, the node is a Repeater (wireless) or Access Point (wired) on your main network.

Assuming this works, does the USB drive need to be attached to the "main" mesh system?

No, USB drive sharing options on a node are available on main router's AiMesh page. I don't have a node attached to make a screenshot, but I remember seeing server options. No access to full node GUI, but USB server options only. Take a look after you set AiMesh up and you'll see it.

I wouldn't rely on a router to do backups. There are reports of routers crashing and data corruption. Not reliable in a long run. It may work for you and fail when you need the backup. Most people realize it wasn't a good idea only after they lose data. Plan a real NAS for this purpose instead.

Yes, the node is a Repeater (wireless) or Access Point (wired) on your main network.

No, USB drive sharing options on a node are available on main router's AiMesh page. I don't have a node attached to make a screenshot, but I remember seeing server options. No access to full node GUI, but USB server options only. Take a look after you set AiMesh up and you'll see it.

I wouldn't rely on a router to do backups. There are reports of routers crashing and data corruption. Not reliable in a long run. It may work for you and fail when you need the backup. Most people realize it wasn't a good idea only after they lose data. Plan a real NAS for this purpose instead.
Thanks. It seems using real-time access to a USB drive on a mesh configuration will work out OK.

I am not relying on any single backup scheme.

My backup program (CrashPlan Pro) uses two destinations: my router and CrashPlan's cloud. The cloud gives me off-site backups and the router gives me local access in cases where my internet connection is down. One Drive also has off-site copies of all current data with instant, continuous access. OneDrive has just introduced a backup feature that I haven't explored yet.

It may not work as well attached to wireless node and may consume lots of bandwidth when in use. Wired node will be better.

Then your node is Access Point. USB related services are available.

What router model you are planning to upgrade to? I guess the older RT-AC86U is going to be the "node". Do you really need another AP?

Then your node is Access Point. USB related services are available.

What router model you are planning to upgrade to? I guess the older RT-AC86U is going to be the "node". Do you really need another AP?
The signal is weak in some parts of the house. I have cat5e already wired to a place that would be good for another access point.

I currently have an ASUS RT-AC86U with an attached USB drive. I am considering a Mesh configuration but wonder if this shared USB drive will remain accessible as I move my laptop around the house, from one Mesh AP to the other. Assuming this works, does the USB drive need to be attached to the "main" mesh system?

Check around on this site. So far my conclusion is to avoid using the USB ports for Samba share due to possible data corruption. But I keep watching for a firmware update to fix this. For now I moved the USB drive to a WIN10 CPU and network shared it. This CPU is connected to a mesh connected router across the house from my office.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!