What's new

Should I upgrade from 3.0.0.4.270.26?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One wisdom I gained working in the field for few decades. (I am retired now) I see lot of folks update f/w because there is new release. My idea is you must have a valid reason to upgrade. Like OP mentioned things working flawlessly, why? I got burned quite a few times
upgrading f/w for no reason.

One wisdom I gained working in the field for few decades. (I am retired now) I see lot of folks update f/w because there is new release. My idea is you must have a valid reason to upgrade. Like OP mentioned things working flawlessly, why? I got burned quite a few times
upgrading f/w for no reason.

That is a good reasoning, assuming one does his homework, and actually reads the changelogs. Just because it "seems to work fine" does not mean there hasn't been any serious security issue or other less visible bug fixed in newer releases.

I always provide very complete changelogs to help people decide if a new release is worth upgrading to. But people must take the time to read them.

My early generation RT-N66U, ones that needed to bootcode updated for the 64K thing, the best firmware has been:

3.0.0.4.372.31_0

Despite the lure updating firmware can be I am sticking at this release. Stable, fast, all wireless clients, 5 and 2.4ghz, connect easily and reliably.

I don't do VPN nor IPV6. Not going down the AI Cloud path regardless of which router I'm using.

I don't know where's best to post this. I've tried a number of SDK6 releases recently up to 38_1 but I can't find one that can smooth stream from miniDLNA to my Samsung TV over a fully wired connection. It maybe a bit of a special case as it's non smart and I've been into the factory settings to enable AllShare, but it should work. I have another TV now with built in wireless that doesn't seem to mind SDK6, but the primary network use for that is catch up.

On the USB front I tried different storage devices and file formats, but it's exactly the same with regular stuttering.

I also liked that accidental feature of not having rescan on miniDLNA on 3.0.0.4.270.26b. I'm sort of getting around that with scripts now, but it was handy on the web UI.