What's new

Slow and Unresponisve Transfers Using SMB2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, I have found a solution to this problem at last (slow and unresponsive SMB2 file copy when working through WIFI), for whoever may be interested :

Basically, avoid the smb.conf 'use sendfile' parameter, i.e add in your smb,postconf script :

pc_replace "use sendfile = yes" "use sendfile = no" $CONFIG

After this, I finally can have reliable and quite fast copys regardless of the file size. (I am achieving 20MB/sec through wifi about 15 meters apart with AC protocol and up to 50MB/sec through wired connections)

Last edited:
Hi, I have found a solution to this problem at last (slow and unresponsive SMB2 file copy when working through WIFI), for whoever may be interested :

Basically, avoid the smb.conf 'use sendfile' parameter, i.e add in your smb,postconf script :

After this, I finally can have reliable and quite fast copys regardless of the file size. (I am achieving 20MB/sec through wifi about 15 meters apart with AC protocol and up to 50MB/sec through wired connections)

How should my smb.postconfig look?
I've tired a few combos but I don't think I have the right code in. Currently it looks like this:

!/bin/sh
pc_replace "use sendfile = yes" "use sendfile = no" "$CONFIG"

HI, mine looks like this :

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_insert "wide links = no" "socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072" $CONFIG

I suspect you have missing the line CONFIG=$1.
Also note that the file name is "smb.postconf" and must be located under /jffs/scripts, with correct executable attributes.

HI, mine looks like this :

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_insert "wide links = no" "socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072" $CONFIG

I suspect you have missing the line CONFIG=$1.
Also note that the file name is "smb.postconf" and must be located under /jffs/scripts, with correct executable attributes.

Perfecto!!!! Worked and fixed the issue
Wifi a soild 20MB/sec down.
Thank You x1000

Is it possible to bake this into the next firmware?

Did a test going up and down on a gig wired connection...
It's better at 24MB/sec but never close to the 40MBs (or 50MBs you experienced).
Time to see if there are tweaks I can do to get that speed.
What is your drive formatted as? Mine is EXT4.

Did a test going up and down on a gig wired connection...
It's better at 24MB/sec but never close to the 40MBs (or 50MBs you experienced).
Time to see if there are tweaks I can do to get that speed.
What is your drive formatted as? Mine is EXT4.

Hi,

My drive is a USB3 RAID1 box, 4TB, NTFS formatted, however, note that my 3200 router is overclocked to 1.4Ghz, and before, with SMB1 and some other firmware versions I had been able to reach almost 60MB/sec, so this fix is not really intended to make samba work faster, but work reliably with wifi when dealing with windows 10 clients that use SMB2. (and not degrade performance too much).

Also I am using hggomes firmware 380.65.9 which is based on Merlin but not exactly the same.

I will give hggones fw a try. In the meantime I overclocked the RT-AC68U and was able to get an extra 5MB out.
At this time the speed issue is a CPU bottleneck and nothing can be done for that.
I'm very satisfied with the fix you (FTC) found and hope to see it in the next FW.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!