What's new

Slow!!! Dir-655

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cardinalsfan

Occasional Visitor
ok, just got and installed a dir-655 based on reviews on here, amazon, and newegg. The reviews and price made it an obvious choice. The problem is that it doesnt seem any faster than my old wireless G connection. Right now, the only things on the wireless network are two lenovo laptops which both support N. I turned it to N only and it actually got slower!! See below for my latest result from a speed test:

Also, I have a wi-fi enabled printer that doesnt work anymore now...it worked just fine before but i cant figure out how to get it on the new network. would it be possible to hook my old wireless-g up to the new router and use it to run my wii and printer? how will that work? on my old network, my computer just saw the printer on the network...if i have it on a G network, wont i have to be connected to the G network to use it? how would i configure all that?

let me know any questions i need to answer....i just wanna make this work and be as fast as it should. thanks!!

which version of DIR-655?

Do you have latest firmware?

Are you on cable or DSL? This type of issue is usually related to other issue such as MTU setting. visit http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks, run tests and let it provide you with suggestions where the problem stems...

which version of DIR-655?

Do you have latest firmware?

Are you on cable or DSL? This type of issue is usually related to other issue such as MTU setting. visit http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks, run tests and let it provide you with suggestions where the problem stems...

Yes, latest firmware upgraded as soon as I got home. According to the box, I have hardware version a4. I am on cable, with Cox ISP. The report wont run...i turned off all firewalls and this is the message i get:

The test server is unreachable
Error: Connection refused: connect

thoughts?

Just did another test and things were much better -

Maybe it just needed to break in?

Still looking for help on the printer, thanks!!

Still looking for help on the printer, thanks!!
Even if the new router is set to the same SSID (network name) and wireless security as the old, you may need to go through the same routine that you used to get the printer connected originally.

You could convert the old G router to an access point to run is as a second AP.
How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point
How To Add an Access Point to a Wireless Router

But I'd try going through the wireless printer connection routine first.

Your speed will vary on WLAN to WWAN on 802.11n as with your 802.11G you shouldn't see much of speed difference.
Which wireless printer do you have? I recently picked up wireless Lexmark Pro205 all-in-on with fax also. That runs on 802.11G. I have that sync up to my 802.11G Buffalo that runs on AP mode.

Now does the wireless router see the printer name, and mac address of this wireless printer. Did it assign IP for it? Once you get an IP address for it write it down. Take that to the wireless printer and you should be able to enter that IP address, subnet mask and default gateway (wireless router IP address) into the wireless printer. This way the wireless router won't be able to change the IP for the printer on you. The router can be forced through DHCP client management to lock down the IP address. But on the DIR-655 there are some issues with that feature.

Last edited: