What's new

Slow Speedtest when AX86U is plugged on 2.5Gbe

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Everyone...

I wanted to share my personal experience with the ASUS RT-AX86U. I have AT&T Fiber and upgraded to the 2 Gbps service last week.

I have the ASUS router set up to be my main networking device for my home. My AT&T box (possibly an ONT) is the 5 gbps (possible) Nokia model. My entire house is hardwired with CAT-7 cables and switches in each room. I do use the wifi from my ASUS as well.

The AT&T box is set up in passthrough mode to let all of the routing and NAT get handled by my ASUS router. In any event, I ran some speed tests over the past week.

The speedtest built into the ASUS router is capped on the upload speed. My download speeds are 2400+ Mbps, when connected to Frontier's Speedtest server. The upload speed is capped at 1 Gbps. I wonder if that is a firmware limitation?? I run the latest official firmware from ASUS...aftermarket firmware is kool, but I don't want to risk it.

The speedtests on the AT&T Box, well...that's running at 2.4 Gbps consistently but, that may be connecting to AT&T's own speedtest servers.

I will say that you need to go into the AT&T firmware settings and change the mutli-gig port on the box to 2.5 Gbps FULL DUPLEX. Also on the ASUS router you need to enable the 2.5 GBps port as a WAN port.

I think with those settings and similar multigig service in your location, you should have similar results.

Yes, I know that I'm lucky to have multigig service in my area (Los Angeles, CA). I'm down right spoiled, but I fully pay for it....

ASUS Router Level Speed Test:

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 7.21.15 PM.png

AT&T Box (Possible ONT) Level Speedtest:

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 7.22.36 PM.png

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

Hope you're doing great! I just got the FTTH on my flat (5Gbps down / 700Mbps up) and my ISP router have 2.5Gbe port. So I genuinely plug the ISP Router 2.5 to the AX86U 2.5. Everything with CAT 7 cable. Router print 2.5 link speed so everything seems ok. If I plug my computer directly to the ISP router I got 2.3Gbps on speedtest, so far so good. When I plug the ISP to the AX86U the speedtests down oscillate between 600Mbps and 1.1Gbps. I don't really understand why I can't get 2.3Gbps when doing speedtest directly from the router. Furthermore, if I do the speedtest on my computer (B550i + R7 3700X + 32 Go RAM + WiFi 6 AX200 160Mhz) the WiFi link speed is 2400Mbps, so I should normally have at least 1/1.5 Gbps speedtests over WiFi. So why the router seems to be stuck at these slow download rate? I hope it's not because it's hardware is too poor, even more at 300 euros ...

Thanks in advance :)
See my post...I hope it helps....

Thx for the reply. I get similar result with the iPhone 13. Is around 850mbps the max wifi6 speed a iPhone can reach no matter the isp service is 1G or 2.5G? With a 2.5G isp, if I run a speed test with 2 iPhone13 together at the same time on the same Wi-Fi router, will each iPhone gets around 850mbps speed? Or the speed will still splits into half to around 400mbps for each iphone as the same with a 1G isp? Thx

Last edited:
Yes and this phone has absolutely nothing to do with close to Gigabit speeds. As I told you already it doesn't need better than 2x2 radio, 160MHz wide channel or MU-MIMO support. It simply doesn't matter for this device and Apple doesn't offer any extra features with zero effect on user experience.

Got to tried an old Huawei nova 9 running Wi-Fi 6 5ghz @ 160mhz download speed 1384m. Maybe we do not need to use Wi-Fi 6E if we got an Wi-Fi 6 device that can support 160mhz….

Attachments

• D144F3C6-50EB-4684-A6F7-8917998F2C9D.jpeg
    D144F3C6-50EB-4684-A6F7-8917998F2C9D.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 42

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!