What's new

Slow WiFi on Asus RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shawnbeard99

New Around Here
I have a Mediacom 1 gb internet service. When I test wired connection on speedtest.net. I always get at or close to 1gb speeds. Wifi on the other hand not so much. I average probably 250mb with rare but occasional over 400mb. Ive tried almost everything I can think of. Updated to the latest version of ASUSWRT merlin(which disabled the 5G radio and I couldnt get it working again, so had to revert back to standard ASUS firmware. Shutting off WiFi6. Shutting down AIProtection, shutting down IP6 firewall. Dedicating 5 GHZ to 80 MHZ and setting 2.4 to use channel 6. Separating 2.4 and 5 to seperate SSID. Nothing helped. My previous router, an ASUS RT-AC3100 often got 500mb+ speeds on wireless. All of my clients have AC adapters. Any ideas?

I have a Mediacom 1 gb internet service. When I test wired connection on speedtest.net. I always get at or close to 1gb speeds. Wifi on the other hand not so much. I average probably 250mb with rare but occasional over 400mb. Ive tried almost everything I can think of. Updated to the latest version of ASUSWRT merlin(which disabled the 5G radio and I couldnt get it working again, so had to revert back to standard ASUS firmware. Shutting off WiFi6. Shutting down AIProtection, shutting down IP6 firewall. Dedicating 5 GHZ to 80 MHZ and setting 2.4 to use channel 6. Separating 2.4 and 5 to seperate SSID. Nothing helped. My previous router, an ASUS RT-AC3100 often got 500mb+ speeds on wireless. All of my clients have AC adapters. Any ideas?

well, seems like it is not only happening to me.

After flashing the RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? After, did you minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? Did you try doing this twice even? There are various reports on the forum where a double 'flashing' of the firmware makes it behave.

Did you format the jffs on the next boot and then proceeded to reboot at least 3 times, waiting 5 to 10 minutes between boots? Did you also erase the NVRAM after flashing to the new (or old) firmware by holding the WPS button while booting?

Are you using the new defaults? Or are you using what worked well for your old router? Did you use new SSID's so that the microcode saved by the client devices doesn't get confused with your new routers capabilities and client setup expectations?

Of course, there are some settings that still need to be toggled. Don't use Airtime Fairness. Disable Universal Beamforming. Don't use the Auto control channel.

Don't enable any feature that doesn't directly relate to securing the router and connecting to your ISP.

Did you power down your complete network, including the ONT and/or modem for at least an hour before you connect with your new router?

Doing all of the above would put your router/firmware and network at a good/known state where further troubleshooting steps can be taken in a logical progression. Without doing the above, any help offered will simply be blind luck if it even happens to work and more than likely won't work for you or anyone else in the future.

The RT-AC3100 was a great router and still is for many, including myself. The RT-AX88U is destined to be even greater, IMO. Give it the chance it needs (like any other router needs too) to put its best foot forward.

It may still not be the router for you and your specific network set up, but at least you'll know sooner, rather than later. And you'll have confidence that your decision wasn't simply a rushed attempt to get it to work either.

See the links in my signature below for more.

giphy.gif

well, seems like it is not only happening to me.
Turns out my router is performing great. It was my Netgear CM1000 modem with the issue. I switched modems to the one Mediacom supplied me and had them provision it in baseline mode so that the router functions are off. Now I’m often getting well over 700 MBS in WiFi. So it would seem my modem was bad or st lease would provision properly on the 1gb service even though it’s a supported modem

Turns out my router is performing great. It was my Netgear CM1000 modem with the issue. I switched modems to the one Mediacom supplied me and had them provision it in baseline mode so that the router functions are off. Now I’m often getting well over 700 MBS in WiFi. So it would seem my modem was bad or st lease would provision properly on the 1gb service even though it’s a supported modem
Glad to know that. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!