What's new

Slow wired speeds on RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fifty

New Around Here
I've been trying to set up AiMesh with a wired connection between my RT-AX86U and RT-AC68U. For the past two weeks, I've been attempting to diagnose the issue with my free time and can't seem to figure this out.

I have symmetrical gigabit internet and have used both the stock firmware (3.0.0.4.386_45934-gb23bdac) and latest merlin (386.4) and have factory reset, cleared nvram, and rebooted/flashed firmware many times.

In all the configurations below, everytime I run my speedtest on the router looks something like this (consistently):

1641711981826.png

My final setup would ideally be this with AiMesh turned on:
ONT -> RT-AX86U -> RT-AC68U -> Desktop PC

However, for the sake of trying to figure why I'm only getting 1mbps upstream from my desktop speedtest, this is what the setup looks like:
ONT -> RT-AX86U -> Desktop PC with AiMesh turned off speed test:

1641711825161.png

I read some posts about turning QoS off (nvram set qos_enabled=0, nvram commit, service restart_qos, service restart_firewall) which helps a bit, however the upstream is still very off:

1641712108685.png

I have an old RT-AC87U which when I use in place of my RT-AX86U and works flawlessly (going to have to take my word for this one, I get about 800mbps/800mbps via wired.

Some notes.. I used many other speedtest sites, I only included the ones from fast.com but they are similar across the board.
The wifi speeds are also fine (~200+ down/up), but this doesn't matter as much to me as I only stream videos on WiFi, and I want to leverage my gigabit speeds on my Desktop computer where it matters.

I have also tried turning on jumbo frames (doesn't do anything)

List of things I've tried with reboots after changing these settings:
- Reset to factory default and only changed one or two settings below...
- Turning off AiMesh
- Turning off QoS via SSH (helped download speeds the most and upload a little)
- Turn on jumbo frames (didn't notice anything)
- Using different ports
- Swapping out ethernet cables (using RT-AC87U proves the cable isn't the problem)
- Used a switch in between RT-AX86U and Desktop, no difference

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm pretty close to returning both my new ASUS routers unless I figure out WTF is going on with the wired connections.

It might be helpful if we knew what the performance was between the RT-AX86U and the desktop, vs. the RT-AX86U and internet. IOW, test them independently rather than just the complete path from desktop to the internet. It might provide a clue to where the problem actually lies.

It might be helpful if we knew what the performance was between the RT-AX86U and the desktop, vs. the RT-AX86U and internet. IOW, test them independently rather than just the complete path from desktop to the internet. It might provide a clue to where the problem actually lies.
Any suggestions on best way to do that?

Admittedly, the fact you're using OEM firmware doesn't make that easy. With Merlin, you could install Entware (directly or via AMTM) and then install iperf3. From a shell (SSH) on the router, you could then run the following command to test the upload speed from the router to the internet.

Code:
iperf3 -c la.speedtest.clouvider.net -p 5209

Also the download speed using the -R option.

Code:
iperf3 -c la.speedtest.clouvider.net -p 5209 -R

Similarly, you could run iperf3 as a server on the router and test the upload/download speeds using the desktop as an iperf3 client.

Finally, test the complete path w/ iperf3, from desktop to internet (you might want to try this first before making any changes to the router's firmware).

Heck, for all I know, just installing Merlin might fix the problem.

P.S. Note, as an iperf3 client or server, the router can't compete w/ a desktop platform. It will top out somewhere well short of the desktop, but it should still be well into the 100's of Mbps, good enough to see if you can get past the current pathetic limits of 1 and 10Mbps upload.

Last edited:
i had this issue when i first setup router i used qos bandwidth limiter for certain ports but this cut my bandwidth using speed tests in half so i reset router and didnt use qos i havnt had a problem since.

i had this issue when i first setup router i used qos bandwidth limiter for certain ports but this cut my bandwidth using speed tests in half so i reset router and didnt use qos i havnt had a problem since.
I second this. I just got Gigabyte internet and I would get perfect 940Mbps using the modem directly.
However, once I plugged into an ethernet port on my ax58u, it plummeted to under 500Mbps.
After several days of debugging, I found that turning of QoS fixed the issue. I am not sure I even need QoS anyway now that I have 1Gb internet.

Welcome to the forums @Nezzark.

It's not so much that QoS is needed or not with 1Gbps ISP speeds (and for most use cases, it isn't). It is more that the router can't handle those speeds with the weak hardware (CPU, RAM (capacity), and slow storage) available to us in our prosumer equipment.

@fifty : Did you resolve the issue? I've got Frontier 1 Gig symmetrical connection and I get 900+ download and about 300 upload. Previously when I was using the AX3000, I'd get 930+ up and down.

I've got Frontier 1 Gig symmetrical connection and I get 900+ download and about 300 upload.

You have joined the party:

anyone know the soluce ? i have a RT-AX86U Pro and the router cut my internet speed at half

This is what i did :

- Update Firmware
- Hard Reset
- Reboot
- Restore an older firmware

My internet speed is 30mbps, but the router let me use 15mbps on wired and wifi

What options, features, and other changes do you make after the full reset?

Are you plugging in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm? (Without first formatting on a PC to NTFS format).

Are you using a saved backup config file to configure the router? Or are you performing a minimal and manual configuration to connect to your ISP and secure the router?

What options, features, and other changes do you make after the full reset?

Are you plugging in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm? (Without first formatting on a PC to NTFS format).

Are you using a saved backup config file to configure the router? Or are you performing a minimal and manual configuration to connect to your ISP and secure the router?
Features disabled : QoS, DMZ, Firewall
USB Drive : Nothing on it
Backup : I dont have any backup
Configuration : i did the minimal process for config the Wifi

You've disabled the Firewall? Why? Are you using another router in front of this one?

What do you use the USB drive for? What is it formatted as?

You don't need to disable QoS and DMZ after a full reset. Disabled is their default.

Maybe you can provide screenshots of your minimal WiFi install.

Have you tried a never-before-used SSID? How close are you testing to the router? What client device(s) are you using to test with?

You've disabled the Firewall? Why? Are you using another router in front of this one?
Because i dont need any firewall

What do you use the USB drive for? What is it formatted as?
I'm not using any Usb Drive

You don't need to disable QoS and DMZ after a full reset. Disabled is their default.
Yeah ou right.. idk why it was enabled

Maybe you can provide screenshots of your minimal WiFi install.
Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202023-10-18%20105055.png

Have you tried a never-before-used SSID?
I'm using always the same one

How close are you testing to the router?
Less than 1 meter

What client device(s) are you using to test with?
My personal computer

You may want to ask a mod to move your posts here to their own thread.

What kind of computer is this? A desktop PC? A laptop? Are you using it on battery power, if the latter? Is the Performance mode on 'High Performance'?

Try putting the router in English mode, reboot, and test again.

Try another SSID. Use a strict 8-character, alphanumeric password, and SSID with no punctuation, special characters, or smiley faces. Reboot the router. Associate with your device and test again.

You're too close at 1 metre. Test at 3 metres or farther (line of sight).

Disable Smart Connect (reboot and test).

Uncheck 160MHz bandwidth.

Use a manual Control Channel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!