What's new

Small home network help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ralphi

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I hope I've posted this in the appropriate section.

I was hoping if someone would be able to help me solve a problem I'm having with my home network. Currently as per the attached diagram I have a wired Open iConnect 624 router that is my connection to the internet.

I would like to make the router almost redundant by connecting all hosts into the ports of my new linksys wrt54gl (running dd-wrt). The linksys router has a Wan/internet port which is designed for connecting to a modem in order to get internet on the wireless and wired ports.

So far I'm unable to configure this wan port to connect to the modem and the only way I've found I can get internet to the router is to connect the modem into a host port. This isn't good enough for what I want.

As you can see from the diagram I'm running a 192.168.1.x network with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. If anyone could help me that would be great, if not well thanks anyway.

Ralphi

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 348
Possible causes: network config of the GL not completely filled out (static); testing performed with clients with outdated network configs.

If you aren't using static IPs:
Modem/router(LAN)<>(WAN)WRT54GL(LAN)<>Clients
Have the modem/router issue DHCP leases, and set the GL's Internet Connection type to Automatic Configuration (DHCP). Check the GL's Status>Router>Internet info to verify that the router did obtain a lease from the modem\router. If that is successful, configure the GL to issue DHCP leases, then once the clients are connected to the GL's LAN, do an ipconfig release and renew to get the correct network information.

all host machines are static. GL was set to Automatic Configuration (DHCP) and modem is giving out dhcp leases. No idea why it's still not working

Verify that the clients' default gateway is pointed to the GL's LAN IP, and you have good DNS addresses.

From the clients, try to ping the GL's LAN (not WAN) IP, then the modem/router's LAN IP (it'd help if they were different). If those are successful, ping 4.2.2.2 and google.com.

What were the ping results? Need more information than "it's not working" to be able to identify the problem.

Did you cable the network the way I listed earlier, or are you still using the layout depicted in your diagram?

Re: Whirlpool

The instructions they gave you were to bypass the router portion of the modem/router, which should not be necessary just to add a router (if it is, it was intentionally done by the ISP, and could be verified by another user). If the router isn't bypassed, you wouldn't have to configure ISP login information on the GL.

After rearranging the network several times, resetting the WRT54GL's config restored connectivity.