What's new

SOHO netork changes - need help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

messerchmidt

Occasional Visitor
SOHO network changes - need help!

Hi all, a schematic of my current home network is attached

I just added the new file server running VM images, and wanted to buy a managed switch for the home office. Do I need to replace the other dlink green 8 ports with manged switches?

Also, I am going to be replacing my main ddwrt based router with a PFSENSE box made out of older parts I have here (core2 with 4gb,etc)

it is not possible to add more drops,etc. These were added during a renovation. I only realized after that I should have added more. Instead I just used switches where needed. Its all gigabit cat5e.

Attachments

• PHIL_NETWORK.jpg
    PHIL_NETWORK.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,849
Last edited:
I should add, the new server has vmware and is a freenas and win2012 server box.

basically i want to use vlans to limit who can access what on the said server.

It depends on how you want things segmented and how fine a control you desire.

I'd say, yes, you should, ideally. One thing you can look at, one or two guys make 5-port semi-managed switches. I know there are a couple of others out there, but DLink has a cheap DGS1100-05. I picked one up used for $30 shipped and it can normally be found for $50 shipped. Looks like you could possibly get away with a couple of those to replace your 8-port jobs.

If you don't need super fine grained control, you can get away with replacing just your main switch that the server and router/AP are attached to. Its just that any VLAN grouping you are going to do on a switch port is going to end up applying to ALL devices upstream of that port. Looking at things, it appears that you will probably need to replace at least one of the other switches with a semi-managed switch.