What's new

Sold a Airport Express and trying to help fellow buyer setting it up with Comcast, but need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry I meant access points all using the same SSID. There is no way he can do this wirelessly? They all have to be setup via an ethernet to the comcast router?
right, AirPorts can only Extend a wireless network when paired with other AirPorts. the workaround is to Create a wireless network with the same SSID/password and connect at least one AirPort via ethernet to the Comcast router. to extend wifi coverage further, you can then use the 2nd AirPort Express to connect wirelessly to the 1st AirPort, which itself is connected via ethernet cable to the Comcast. bottom line, at least one AirPort must be connected to the primary Comcast router via ethernet.

right, AirPorts can only Extend a wireless network when paired with other AirPorts. the workaround is to Create a wireless network with the same SSID/password and connect at least one AirPort via ethernet to the Comcast router. to extend wifi coverage further, you can then use the 2nd AirPort Express to connect wirelessly to the 1st AirPort, which itself is connected via ethernet cable to the Comcast. bottom line, at least one AirPort must be connected to the primary Comcast router via ethernet.
Ah ha, makes sense, so to recap:

1. Reset each express and download the lastest Airport Utility on his macbook?
  2. Connect one express via ethernet from the comcast gateway to to the express wan port?
  3. Set up the 1st express and then "create a wireless network" with it using the same SSID/password?
  4. Put the 2nd express where he wants to extend his wifi, and go back to airport utility and select "extend wireless network"? Select the new network done in step 3 and select the 2nd wireless express.
Am I missing any steps? Thanks for the help btw.

Last edited:
Ah ha, makes sense, so to recap:

1. Reset each express and download the lastest Airport Utility on his macbook?
yes
  1. Connect one via ethernet from the comcast gateway to to the mac wan port?
NO, connect the MacBook's LAN port to a LAN port on the Comcast; and also connect the 1st AirPort's WAN to a LAN port on the Comcast.
  1. Set up the 1st express and then "create a wireless network" with it using the same SSID/password?
yup just use the same SSID/password for both AirPorts, as you're already using with the old setup. BUT both most be wired to the Comcast in this configuration.

If you wish to use the 2nd AirPort to Extend a wireless network without wires (connected wirelessly to the 1st AirPort), then both AirPorts must use a unique SSID, not the same as you're already using.
  1. Put the 2nd express where he wants to extend his wifi, and go back to airport utility and select "extend wireless network"? Select the new network done in step 3 and select the 2nd wireless express.
yes
Am I missing any steps? Thanks for the help btw.
report back

If you wish to use the 2nd AirPort to Extend a wireless network without wires (connected wirelessly to the 1st AirPort), then both AirPorts must use a unique SSID, not the same as you're already using.
Ok this is the part I'm a little confused. More than likely they will want the 2nd to be connected wirelessly, so after I connect the 1st express and created a new network, then I would have to go to extend a wireless network after powering on the 2nd express?

Ok this is the part I'm a little confused. More than likely they will want the 2nd to be connected wirelessly, so after I connect the 1st express and created a new network, then I would have to go to extend a wireless network after powering on the 2nd express?
yup that should work, just remember that the SSID being used by the wirelessly paired AirPorts must be different from any existing wifi networks.

Last edited by a moderator:
yup that should work, just remember that the SSID being used by the wirelessly paired AirPorts must be different from any existing wifi networks.
I see, so the airport connected via ethernet can be the same as comcast, but the extended one wirelessly must be different?

I see, so the airport connected via ethernet can be the same as comcast, but the extended one wirelessly must be different?
if you wirelessly pair the AirPorts, to Extend a wireless network, then the SSID they use must be unique to the pair, not the same as the one you're already using.

if you connect both AirPorts via wired ethernet to the Comcast, to Create a wireless network, then you can use the same SSID/password as your existing wifi network.

if you wirelessly pair the AirPorts, to Extend a wireless network, then the SSID they use must be unique to the pair, not the same as the one you're already using.

if you connect both AirPorts via wired ethernet to the Comcast, to Create a wireless network, then you can use the same SSID/password as your existing wifi network.
Oh ok, so there is no way to have the same SSID/password within 2 airports and the gateway if done wirelessly? Only if it's done via ethernet?

for optimal performance though, the buyer should run two ethernet cables from the Comcast router to the WAN ports on each AirPort (using CAT5e or better cables), and then Create a wireless network of the same name on each AirPort.

edit: the buyer could also daisy chain the two AirPorts together, rather than run a wire from each AirPort back to the Comcast. in this configuration, the 1st AirPort WAN connects to any Comcast LAN port. then connect AirPort #2 WAN to any LAN port on AirPort #1.

Last edited by a moderator:
for optimal performance though, the buyer should run two ethernet cables from the Comcast router to the WAN ports on each AirPort (using CAT5e or better cables), and then Create a wireless network of the same name on each AirPort.

edit: the buyer could also daisy chain the two AirPorts together, rather than run a wire from each AirPort back to the Comcast. in this configuration, the 1st AirPort WAN connects to any Comcast LAN port. then connect AirPort #2 WAN to any LAN port on AirPort #1.
They were a little busy, so I'm going to forward them this post as a link to see if that will help them out. Seems like they understand the ideal of what to do.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!