What's new

[SOLVED] No guest access to SMB on Voxel Orbi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mith_y2k

Regular Contributor
I hope people don't mind I have created a number of different posts here. I have a few different questions around Voxel's custom firmware for Orbi and in general I like short threads on specific topics so that other users can find answers easily instead of everyone posting on a giant thread.

I have an USB drive formatted in ext4 and the Orbi mounts it easily and started smbd. I was fiddling with smb.conf to add my own shares and noticed this:
Code:
  max protocol = SMB2

Any reason why not SMB3?

For reference, I'm asking this because I have a couple of clients running MacOS Catalina and I cannot login as Guest (login as root works fine). Finder doesn't ask me for credentials and when I try to force "Guest" using the smb:// syntax it still doesn't work. I found this article that says Catalina needs SMB3: https://www.techarp.com/software/macos-catalina-nas-failure/

Error message I get when trying to use "Guest"

Last edited:
I changed the max protocol to SMB3 and did a killall of smbd, but no luck for guest users.

Any suggestions to make the Guest user work is welcome

Some more update on this. I tried connecting with Kodi, but also requires credentials and the "Guest" user is not accepted. I tried with no password and with password "guest".

I increased the log level and this is what I see when I try to connect:
Code:
[2020/04/29 13:18:01.786091,  2] (check_ntlm_password)
  check_ntlm_password:  authentication for user [GUEST] -> [GUEST] -> [guest] succeeded
[2020/04/29 13:18:01.811448,  1] (make_connection_snum)
  macmini-16f85d (192.168.1.200) connect to service USB initially as user guest (uid=65534, gid=65534) (pid 9782)
[2020/04/29 13:18:01.813589,  1] (close_cnum)
  macmini-16f85d (192.168.1.200) closed connection to service USB

"macmini" is the client running Catalina and USB is the name of the share.

I did some more experimentation with no luck. Are users "guest" and "admin" working for anyone else? For me user root works fine, but admin and guest cannot login. I looked at the smbpasswd file and root and admin have the same password and parameters. In /etc/password admin has an x instead of the password, while root is the only user with a password. Any feedback or suggestions on how to fix this would be welcome. I would like to let all client read freely (guest account is perfect) and only root or admin can write.

Files in the entire mounted drive are like this:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root          4096 Apr 29 07:00 R_Drive

Thank you

And I finally solved the issue, it was the permissions on /mnt/sda1!

As per my last post I was looking to make sure that users had the appropriate read and write permissions. What I had not checked is that /mnt/sda1 itself had the right permissions. Once I gave it 755 the "guest" user started working. I knew it was some tiny detail.

"SMB3" protocol had nothing to do, so I changed the title of the thread.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!