What's new

[SOLVED] Trying to find my weakest link

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rosco

Occasional Visitor
Wasn't sure which forum was appropriate for this post, but it deals with wireless, so here I go.

So I've finally gotten my home network setup the way I wanted. Or at least how I best figured it should be set up. I'm not having any outstanding issues, and everything works perfectly fine. I've just noticed though that as I've started moving data from various sources (mostly my main PC) to my new NAS that the transfer speeds aren't all that spectacular.

I know that network transfer is slower than USB3 and all that, but I'm getting averages around 30MB/sec. I'm not expecting theoretical max speeds, but I understood the speeds to be a bit faster than that. Is that about right, or should I be looking for the bottleneck in my network? If that's a decent number, then the rest of this post isn't important... hah!

I'm fully aware that a network only runs as fast as it's slowest component, so I want to try and track that down. My current network looks like this:

Asus RT-N65U running in dual-band N-only mode and a few wired devices connected by full duplex gigabit LAN using only Cat 5e cables. I can post a complete network map if someone thinks that'll be useful. I didn't bother here because I figured all devices are connected by established standards so it shouldn't matter exactly what each device is. Or is that a mistaken assumption too?

The router is a dual-band router, but my understanding of dual-band tech is limited. Would it be better to just limit all devices to the 5.0GHz band? I was under the impression that a device would need two separate network interfaces, one on each band, to take full advantage of a dual-band network, but like I said, my knowledge here is limited.

Also, I know my NAS (Syno DS414) is capable of link aggregation. I have no idea if the router is or not though. Or if bothering to hook up the second cable would even be of any benefit for such a small home network even if the router is capable. I'm betting not, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Thanks for reading.
Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks for the input.

I missed one detail though, which is that the transfer was between my PC and the NAS, both of which are wired to the router.

I'm thinking now that it might speed up if I shut off the wireless access, so those devices wouldn't slow down the network?

I figured it out. It's because it was copying from an external USB2 drive.
The transfer from the internal drives goes at about 75MB/sec, so that seems more reasonable.

That drive has been connected to my PC for so long, I forgot it was external! Oops...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!