What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can you post the syslog content from around the time of the next cron job. I need to see between spdmerlin starting and the results at the end
I rebooted my router and ran a test by clicking in the web UI. This is what the log spat out:

Code:
Apr 20 03:03:17 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 113.56 Mbit/s - Upload: 15.53 Mbit/s

In my case, this is to be considered as normal numbers. I guess we'll wait for the cron to fire off and see if it helps.

I'll concede to @L&LD

Given my profession, turning it off and on should have been something I suggested sooner!

When things seem too random, like they did here, a reboot seems logical. If a reboot didn't fix things, guess what would have been my next few questions? :D

But I do have to admit, it was a little easier to correctly predict this one because of all the excellent troubleshooting steps you did first. ;)

SPDMerlin is a great add on for my AC86 and it runs perfectly but like most things in life it has a price.

Since enabling SPDMerlin by daily data use seems to be higher by 1 - 2 gigs. Some of this increase is the result of running 48 speed tests daily that this add on runs. I haven't determined exactly how much data it uses yet but since speed tests often try to upload and download as much data as possible in ten seconds if you have a faster connection your data use for 48 speed tests daily can be considerable.

Not a problem for me as I seldom use half of my monthly capped amount from Comcast so I have data to burn, but for those individuals that use much more data montly and are capped you might want to consider this add on and is worth using that much data.

SPDMerlin is a great add on for my AC86 and it runs perfectly but like most things in life it has a price.

Since enabling SPDMerlin by daily data use seems to be higher by 1 - 2 gigs. Some of this increase is the result of running 48 speed tests daily that this add on runs. I haven't determined exactly how much data it uses yet but since speed tests often try to upload and download as much data as possible in ten seconds if you have a faster connection your data use for 48 speed tests daily can be considerable.

Not a problem for me as I seldom use half of my monthly capped amount from Comcast so I have data to burn, but for those individuals that use much more data montly and are capped you might want to consider this add on and is worth using that much data.
See my next post - this will go some way to mitigating it for those users

v1.1.2 is now available
Changlog:
Code:
Allow automatic testing to be disabled
Menu friendly lock file detection
Add warning about issues with high Internet speeds and router stability while testing
Add prompt to run test at end of install

Please note that the graphing expects 1 test every 30 minutes, so (obviously) disabling the speed test will lead to gaps

This is something I've been considering doing, the upload test seems to be the killer on bigger pipes.

Toggle will be easy enough for the testing, but for webui graphs I'd probably need to be a bit clever with sed or something (who doesn't love a bit of string/file manipulation??)

I'm very late to this comment, but figured I'd share my experience trying to get consistent speedtests both on a router and other devices.

Super Awesome Work by Yaz getting this and other tools built into the router. These tools are one set of reasons why I stay on Asus merlin vs switching over to say ubiquiti (a separate discussion :) )

My initial goal was to use FreshQOS after upgrading to sonic.net gb fiber and to do that I wanted to get a sense of "real" bandwidth vs ISP settings. For reference, I use Adaptive QOS w/ fq_codel. my AC88u also has diversion and skynet installed.

Anyway, I used the speedtest-cli python client running on a 6 core Hackintosh wired to my AC88u; I believe this is the same one used by Yaz. Even with no other traffic I was seeing speeds of about 30% less than what I would get using either Ookla speedtest client or Google's fiber speed test. This was a period over 6 days with well over 1000 tests run. Additionally, I installed the cli on an RPI3 and was capping at 100mb; similarly, when installed the cli on my AC88u (my build since I didn't know about Yaz's tool) I was getting similar results to my RPI of about 120mbs.

After tons of googling, I found an old speedtest client written in C++ which I forked (ahem... hacked) for better csv output. On my hackintosh, those speeds are closer to the 1gb speeds over 11 days of testing with about 25+ tests per day (870mb up/890down). These results are 30%+ better than the speedtest-cli output. I've running both tests on my computer at staggered times and seeing those results consistently. I have not installed the c++ client on the router but I did on my RPI and similarly, the RPI capped out around 100mbs

My conclusions/observations:
  • Like others, running speedtests on the router with higher bandwidth internet results in low Up/Down speeds. Seems to be too much for our routers to handle. Use a pc to get better results.
  • speedtest-cli has some additional type of overhead (python?) that results in lower speeds. The speedtest C++ program may yield better results. Again, for lower bandwidth connections this may not matter.
  • As more services are added (diversion, skynet, etc) the routers seem to slow down. Whereas I was getting close to 950mbs up&down on a fresh ac88u config, with diversion/skynet/other services it was dropping to 500-600mbs even on wired connection.
  • PM me if you'd like to see report of the data I've collected.

As more services are added (diversion, skynet, etc) the routers seem to slow down

Skynet in my testing has an immeasurable performance impact, if you can post results showing otherwise I'd love to see them.

I will admit that my diversion/skynet testing was not methodical. Looking thru my notes, I also had other services installed including Stubby DNS plus 3 VPN servers. Plus a crapload of devices.

Anyway, I attached screenshots for reference

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 12.34.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 12.34.42 PM.png
    189 KB · Views: 352
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 12.34.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 12.34.51 PM.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 384
I will admit that my diversion/skynet testing was not methodical.

I agree. Unless you have reproducible evidence to back up these claims I think its best not to spread misinformation.

Yup. Agree that I need to get more methodical about the extra service testing. Not trying to spread misinformation but can see how it can be misinterpreted. Have a good Sunday.

:oops: :eek::eek: has any one ever experienced a router reboot from using the gui speed test button.... :(

:oops: :eek::eek: has any one ever experienced a router reboot from using the gui speed test button.... :(

Yes. Are you otherwise enjoying a Gbps level of ISP service too?

:cool: I had to drop my QOS Down a hair or two and now it is purring like a Chevrolet Chevelle SS.

• As more services are added (diversion, skynet, etc) the routers seem to slow down. Whereas I was getting close to 950mbs up&down on a fresh ac88u config, with diversion/skynet/other services it was dropping to 500-600mbs even on wired connection.

Did you check to make sure that none of your changes disabled NAT acceleration?