What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah, uploaded the ovpn file from the provider & made the required adjustments - pretty standard stuff really. Conf:

resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
ping 10
ping-restart 60
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
fast-io
tun-ipv6
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-GCM-SHA384:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA
comp-lzo no
auth-nocache
disable-occ
persist-key
persist-tun
mute-replay-warnings
dhcp-option DNS 10.8.0.1
dhcp-option DNS 193.138.218.74

The last two dns addresses are the vpn's & are available publicly (no-logging).

WAN uses cloudflare DOT, but I've also tried others in my attempts to find a solution to this, no joy though. This configuration worked fine on my old AC86U, so I'm doubtful if things would be any different with the AX88U.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some kind of permissions issue when installing speedtest writing to the AX88U's memory - it just doesn't seem to stick for very long before it goes awol. But again, I'm just guessing - but it would explain why it "forgets" that I agreed to the Ookla thingybob.....

Yeah, uploaded the ovpn file from the provider & made the required adjustments - pretty standard stuff really. Conf:

resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
ping 10
ping-restart 60
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
fast-io
tun-ipv6
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-GCM-SHA384:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA
comp-lzo no
auth-nocache
disable-occ
persist-key
persist-tun
mute-replay-warnings
dhcp-option DNS 10.8.0.1
dhcp-option DNS 193.138.218.74

The last two dns addresses are the vpn's & are available publicly (no-logging).

WAN uses cloudflare DOT, but I've also tried others in my attempts to find a solution to this, no joy though. This configuration worked fine on my old AC86U, so I'm doubtful if things would be any different with the AX88U.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some kind of permissions issue when installing speedtest writing to the AX88U's memory - it just doesn't seem to stick for very long before it goes awol. But again, I'm just guessing - but it would explain why it "forgets" that I agreed to the Ookla thingybob.....
Are you using policy routing?

Are you using policy routing?

Sometimes, but I disabled it while troubleshooting. Sorry for the late reply, had to get my life back a bit.
I've uninstalled it for good now, maybe I'll try again after the next firmware update, I just don't have the time to keep messing with it at the moment - thanks for trying to help anyway.

Regards.

if i tryed to get the server list, i got these error:

Code:
[: bad number
jq: error while loading shared libraries: libonig.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
457)
jq: error while loading shared libraries: libonig.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
458)

could fix it with the tip from xentrk here x3mRouting ~ Selective Routing for Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware

if i tryed to get the server list, i got these error:

Code:
457)
458)

could fix it with the tip from xentrk here x3mRouting ~ Selective Routing for Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware
I would personally try
Code:
opkg update && opkg remove --autoremove jq && opkg install jq

Thanks for this great script. Super useful to be able to see results trended over time.

Question (as I may have missed it); is there any way to show how much data is being used by the test in addition to speeds? I’m on Comcast and am always near the data cap.

v3.3.0 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
Switch to single tar archive for shared-jy resources
Zoom and panning now require you to hold shift on the keyboard (touch device support coming soon)
Use csv files for ChartJS data population

With this update, if you are running my other scripts (connmon, ntpmerlin, spdmerlin, uiDivStats, modmon), you MUST update these as well. Ignore any error messages during updates after the first script (it will mention too many levels of symbolic links), and let the update complete.

Once you have updated all of the scripts, run
Code:
rm -rf /www/user/shared-jy && rm -rf /jffs/addons/shared-jy
then open any of the scripts mentioned above and run 1 further update.

This will hopefully be the last time any of this messing around is needed - I'm switching to a single archive for all shared-jy resources to ease the pain of any new files that are needed in the future. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience!

Looking for feedback on Zoom behaviour. Rather than scrolling, you can drag to highlight an area. This would replace scroll zoom and panning, and looks something like this: https://codepen.io/jackyaz/full/rNVYQGN

I'm considering making drag to zoom default now instead, with a button to turn it off and revert to current behaviour (shift requirement would be removed again). Touch devices will need to use the button before charts are interactive.

All thoughts and feedback welcomed!

Last edited:
Thanks for this great script. Super useful to be able to see results trended over time.

Question (as I may have missed it); is there any way to show how much data is being used by the test in addition to speeds? I’m on Comcast and am always near the data cap.
Currently only shown on the "result" line in syslog/at the command line when manually run. I can consider plotting this if people feel it would be useful?

Looking for feedback on Zoom behaviour. Rather than scrolling, you can drag to highlight an area. This would replace scroll zoom and panning, and looks something like this: https://codepen.io/jackyaz/full/rNVYQGN

I'm considering making drag to zoom default now instead, with a button to turn it off and revert to current behaviour (shift requirement would be removed again). Touch devices will need to use the button before charts are interactive.

All thoughts and feedback welcomed!
Question related to further updates/improvements: How about to record ping & jitter in addition to up- & download?

Sent from my SM-T805 using Asus RT-AC86U & Merlin 384.13

Question related to further updates/improvements: How about to record ping & jitter in addition to up- & download?

Sent from my SM-T805 using Asus RT-AC86U & Merlin 384.13
connmon does that :)

speedtest/ookla dont make a list available with which servers measure ping (that ive found anyway), so you would have to find a server that offers ping and manually select it.

speedtest/ookla dont make a list available with which servers measure ping (that ive found anyway), so you would have to find a server that offers ping and manually select it.

Why not include all of the stats which speedtest/ookla provides...

## Output
Upon successful execution, the application will exit with an exit code of 0. The result will include latency, jitter, download, upload, packet loss (where available), and a result URL.

URL not needed, but the other bits would be a nice addition.

The "Last 10" displaying all of the information for each line with Download/Upload as the default graphs, and a button to switch to the Latency, Jitter, and Packet Loss.

=========================================

Would have been nice of them to also include the Server and ISP in their Output like the provide in the URL output

*Example human-readable result:*

```
$ speedtest
Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Speedtest.net - New York, NY (id = 10390)
ISP: Comcast Cable

Latency: 57.81 ms (3.65 ms jitter)
Download: 76.82 Mbps (data used: 80.9 MB)
Upload: 37.58 Mbps (data used: 65.3 MB)
Packet Loss: 0.0%
Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/8ae1200c-e639-45e5-8b55-41421a079250
```

Why not include all of the stats which speedtest/ookla provides...

## Output
Upon successful execution, the application will exit with an exit code of 0. The result will include latency, jitter, download, upload, packet loss (where available), and a result URL.

URL not needed, but the other bits would be a nice addition.

The "Last 10" displaying all of the information for each line with Download/Upload as the default graphs, and a button to switch to the Latency, Jitter, and Packet Loss.

=========================================

Would have been nice of them to also include the Server and ISP in their Output like the provide in the URL output

*Example human-readable result:*

```
$ speedtest
Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Speedtest.net - New York, NY (id = 10390)
ISP: Comcast Cable

Latency: 57.81 ms (3.65 ms jitter)
Download: 76.82 Mbps (data used: 80.9 MB)
Upload: 37.58 Mbps (data used: 65.3 MB)
Packet Loss: 0.0%
Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/8ae1200c-e639-45e5-8b55-41421a079250
```

The post you have quoted explains exactly why i don't use ping metrics.

Thanks, works well!

Sent from my OnePlus 7Pro using Asus RT-AC86U & Merlin 384.13