What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looking for feedback on Zoom behaviour. Rather than scrolling, you can drag to highlight an area. This would replace scroll zoom and panning, and looks something like this: https://codepen.io/jackyaz/full/rNVYQGN

I'm considering making drag to zoom default now instead, with a button to turn it off and revert to current behaviour (shift requirement would be removed again). Touch devices will need to use the button before charts are interactive.

All thoughts and feedback welcomed!
I think I'm going to go with drag to zoom as default, with a button to disable it and revert to scrolling/panning (the latter will be the only method supported on mobile)

Uninstalling spdMerlin doesn't remove the Speedtest tab in the router webui for me. Shouldn't it be removed automatically after uninstall?

Choose an option: z

Are you sure you want to uninstall spdMerlin? (y/n)
y
spdMerlin: Removing spdMerlin...

Do you want to delete spdMerlin stats and config? (y/n)
y
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin: line 1685: can't open /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/spdstats_www.asp: no such file
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin: line 1685: can't open /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/spdstats_www.asp: no such file
spdMerlin: Uninstall completed

Uninstalling spdMerlin doesn't remove the Speedtest tab in the router webui for me. Shouldn't it be removed automatically after uninstall?

y

y
Try rebooting router.

y

y
sounds like i need to revisit the uninstaller logic

do you know which version you were running? i have recently improved things in that area

which are generated by using ping....speedtest used to have a sister site (pingtest) before incorporating it into their main testing.

Color me confused...

A standard speedtest.net from the browser contains ping.

upload_2020-3-11_19-10-8.png

From Speedtest/Ookla own documentation they state all of those items are returned upon successful completion.

Running spdMerlin from console manually

Choose an option: 2

spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Comcast (Denver, CO, United States) for WAN interface

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Comcast - Denver, CO (id = 10051)
ISP: Weiss Internet
Latency: 12.35 ms (1.34 ms jitter)
Download: 104.92 Mbps (data used: 115.8 MB)
Upload: 10.40 Mbps (data used: 4.7 MB)
Packet Loss: 0.0
%​
==================

A formatting request.

Within the upload/download last-10 results, could the numbers be centered on "." rather than centered in column?

This would assist in finding the outlier(s) quicker/easier. At first glance the 16.16 doesn't stand out.

upload_2020-3-11_19-6-37.png

thx

Last edited:
Color me confused...

A standard speedtest.net from the browser contains ping.

View attachment 21863

From Speedtest/Ookla own documentation they state all of those items are returned upon successful completion.

Running spdMerlin from console manually

Choose an option: 2

spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Comcast (Denver, CO, United States) for WAN interface

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Comcast - Denver, CO (id = 10051)
ISP: Weiss Internet
Latency: 12.35 ms (1.34 ms jitter)
Download: 104.92 Mbps (data used: 115.8 MB)
Upload: 10.40 Mbps (data used: 4.7 MB)
Packet Loss: 0.0
%​
==================
As i said, it depends on the server used. Unless US servers support it more widely, only 3/10 of the nearest servers to me support ping testing. The other 7 report n/a in the output, which is useless. That's why I wrote a dedicated script to monitor connection latency etc. :)

v3.3.1 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
Implement deferred loading plugin to improve page load time
Improve zoom handling - zoom drag is enabled by default (touch users can zoom in the normal fashion - to pan you need to disable drag zoom via the button)
Pressing Esc will reset zoom for all charts

Nice!

On my RT-AX88U with a 1Gbps up/down symmetrical connection.

Code:
spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using TELUS (Calgary, AB, Canada) for WAN interface

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: 
        ISP:
    Latency:     0.98 ms   (0.04 ms jitter)
   Download:   587.92 Mbps (data used: 344.4 MB)
     Upload:   717.64 Mbps (data used: 671.5 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result

spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 587.92 Mbps (data used: 344.4 MB) - Upload: 717.64 Mbps (data used: 671.5 MB)

I would personally try
Code:
opkg update && opkg remove --autoremove jq && opkg install jq

I am also getting error messages and must have something configured wrong. I tried your suggestion for the code in your post and am still getting the same thing.
thanks,
jts

RT-AC86U with Merlin 314.15, RT-AC68U aimesh node with same f/w, diversion, uidivstats, skynet, scribe, uiscribe,
OpenVPN for select clients, and today conmon and spdMerlin.
upload_2020-3-15_17-37-32.png

I am also getting error messages and must have something configured wrong. I tried your suggestion for the code in your post and am still getting the same thing.
thanks,
jts

RT-AC86U with Merlin 314.15, RT-AC68U aimesh node with same f/w, diversion, uidivstats, skynet, scribe, uiscribe,
OpenVPN for select clients, and today conmon and spdMerlin.
View attachment 21964
Is your VPN Client 1 connection working? Looks like an SSL error stopped it talking to the speedtest server

Is your VPN Client 1 connection working? Looks like an SSL error stopped it talking to the speedtest server
It appears to be. I have our firestick, fireTV, and Android box configured to run through the VPN. I am really green, so it could very well be something really rookie.

vpnconfig-screenshot.png
upload_2020-3-15_17-52-16.png
These clients are supposed to be going through the tunnel, others do by Windscribe as separate client, if that is the correct term.
upload_2020-3-15_17-52-16.png

Last edited:
I'm suprised they still support LZO compression!

What happens if you run:
Code:
/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/ookla/speedtest --interface=tun11 --format="human-readable" --unit="Mbps" --progress="yes" --accept-license --accept-gdpr
manually?

It said this:
login as: jtstrickland
jtstrickland@192.168.1.1's password:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC86U 384.15_0 Sat Feb 8 18:41:28 UTC 2020
jtstrickland@RT-AC86U-8F38:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/ookla/speedtest --interface=tun11 --format="human-readable" --unit="Mbps" --progress="yes" --accept-license --accept-gdpr
[2020-03-15 19:01:26.028] [error] Configuration - SSL connect error (UnknownException)
[2020-03-15 19:01:26.028] [error] Configuration - Cannot retrieve configuration document (0)
[2020-03-15 19:01:26.029] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)
[2020-03-15 19:01:26.029] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)
[error] Configuration - Could not retrieve or read configuration (ConfigurationError)
jtstrickland@RT-AC86U-8F38:/tmp/home/root#

I tried rebooting, also, but no help there.

And my firestick appears to be going through the tunnel. When I went to whatismyip dot com, they said I was in Dallas, and I am over 600 miles from there. I don't really know where else to check and see.

I don't have my PC routed through the VPN, so I don't guess that has anything to do with it?
And, this is silly I suppose, but the router doesn't have to be specifically routed? Don't seem so.

This isn't critical, as I said it's probably something really rookie that I did. I'm just trying to provide a safe and secure network for myself and family, and don't have sufficient experience to be using scripts, anyway. I'm not sure if it is even using the swap file.
thanks again.

OpenVPN for select clients, and today conmon and spdMerlin

Last edited:
upload_2020-3-16_9-53-55.png
I'm suprised they still support LZO compression!

What happens if you run:
Code:
/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/ookla/speedtest --interface=tun11 --format="human-readable" --unit="Mbps" --progress="yes" --accept-license --accept-gdpr
manually?

It does appear to be working on the WAN side, just nothing on the VPN side. But no graphs anywhere.
Your program for scMerlin show the swap file isn't being used by ram? see other attachment.

And, my log file says:
Mar 16 00:05:01 RT-AC86U-8F38 syslog-ng[2877]: The current log file has a mismatching size/inode information, restarting from the beginning; state='affile_sd_curpos(/var/lib/logrotate.status)', stored_inode='1655527', cur_file_inode='505993', stored_size='245', cur_file_size='245', raw_stream_pos='0'

One more observation from logs, and I will leave you guys alone:
Mar 16 10:12:01 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface
Mar 16 10:12:32 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 95.19 Mbps (data used: 123.6 MB) - Upload: 10.36 Mbps (data used: 13.5 MB)
Mar 16 10:12:32 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for VPNC1 interface
Mar 16 10:12:33 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - -
Mar 16 10:14:08 RT-AC86U-8F38 kernel: br0: received packet on eth6 with own address as source address
Mar 16 10:17:46 RT-AC86U-8F38 roamast: determine candidate node [4C:ED:FB:7F:53:80](rssi: -77dbm) for client [44:18:FD:28:0B:C6](rssi: -89dbm) to roam
Mar 16 10:17:47 RT-AC86U-8F38 roamast: eth6: disconnect weak signal strength station [44:18:fd:28:0b:c6]
Mar 16 10:17:47 RT-AC86U-8F38 roamast: eth6: remove client [44:18:fd:28:0b:c6] from monitor list
Mar 16 10:19:50 RT-AC86U-8F38 kernel: br0: received packet on eth6 with own address as source address
Mar 16 10:42:01 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface

OpenVPN for select clients, conmon, spdMerlin, scmerlin today

upload_2020-3-16_9-53-55.png

Attachments

• scmerlin-swapfile.png
    scmerlin-swapfile.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
View attachment 21975

It does appear to be working on the WAN side, just nothing on the VPN side. But no graphs anywhere.
Your program for scMerlin show the swap file isn't being used by ram? see other attachment.

And, my log file says:
Mar 16 00:05:01 RT-AC86U-8F38 syslog-ng[2877]: The current log file has a mismatching size/inode information, restarting from the beginning; state='affile_sd_curpos(/var/lib/logrotate.status)', stored_inode='1655527', cur_file_inode='505993', stored_size='245', cur_file_size='245', raw_stream_pos='0'

One more observation from logs, and I will leave you guys alone:
Mar 16 10:12:01 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface
Mar 16 10:12:32 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 95.19 Mbps (data used: 123.6 MB) - Upload: 10.36 Mbps (data used: 13.5 MB)
Mar 16 10:12:32 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for VPNC1 interface
Mar 16 10:12:33 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - -
Mar 16 10:14:08 RT-AC86U-8F38 kernel: br0: received packet on eth6 with own address as source address
Mar 16 10:17:46 RT-AC86U-8F38 roamast: determine candidate node [4C:ED:FB:7F:53:80](rssi: -77dbm) for client [44:18:FD:28:0B:C6](rssi: -89dbm) to roam
Mar 16 10:17:47 RT-AC86U-8F38 roamast: eth6: disconnect weak signal strength station [44:18:fd:28:0b:c6]
Mar 16 10:17:47 RT-AC86U-8F38 roamast: eth6: remove client [44:18:fd:28:0b:c6] from monitor list
Mar 16 10:19:50 RT-AC86U-8F38 kernel: br0: received packet on eth6 with own address as source address
Mar 16 10:42:01 RT-AC86U-8F38 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface

View attachment 21975
try pointing the vpn client to a different server. or contact your vpn provider. i speedtest against 3 servers via nordvpn without issue. your vpn provider doesn't like speedtest.net for some reason/.

Thank you. I have whitelisted speedtest.net on the Windscribe website and will see how that does. It may take a while, and it may not even work with OpenVPN, but I will give it a shot. I'm not sure how to point to another server.

I just barely know enough about networking to get in trouble. All I can do is follow "cook book" recipes, and that not very well since I don't know all the language.

I know you guys are the best in the world at what you do, and I really mean that. I am pretty good at what I do, too, but this isn't it, although I find it very interesting.
thanks again for you time and help,
jts