What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No need to apologise at all - we really appreciate your hard work and support which I suspect is being done in your own time :)

This, together with repeated JFFS errors, has spurred me into replacing my trusty old RT-N66U with an RT-AC86U so isn't an issue for me now. Perhaps worth a check for the older MIPS based routers in the install script?
Sounds like a sensible idea, I'll put it on the to-do.

How about this?
cafbf9e1db.png

Looks awesome.

hi.
something strange happened last night and i dont know if its related or not. after updating spdmerlin, the router became unresponsive and all the remotes connections were down. i had to locally power cycle the unit some hours later when i was able to go there.
i found some memory errors on the log
https://pastebin.com/B1ruaTKw

could this be related to the script?

thanks

hi.
something strange happened last night and i dont know if its related or not. after updating spdmerlin, the router became unresponsive and all the remotes connections were down. i had to locally power cycle the unit some hours later when i was able to go there.
i found some memory errors on the log
https://pastebin.com/B1ruaTKw

could this be related to the script?

thanks
I would guess that your swap file wasn’t there when Skynet restarted during firewall-start. But that’s just a guess based on the number of sh, awk and nslookup processes.

I use two connection in balance mode, as first WAN (pppoe-dsl) and as second lte modem (ppp) - because of good upload speed for my CCTV and static IP. The speed test check speed only on first WAN and if chosen and connected on VPN. For me is interesting to check speed on my first WAN and second ppp connection. I did very small modification of code 3.6.1 without much input from me , only I duplicated and adopt code for VPN (1-5) to check PPP (1-2) if exist.
My question to @Jack Yaz do You plan do same functionality in official distribution?
if it's not relevant to most users, but someone is interested, I can attach the code. Of course.

@Jack Yaz

Is there a way to use AutoBW script with your current FW ...is it as simple as moving a few files from USB to the jffs folder? Thanks!

Thank you for last great update.
One older issue I have: after primary wan is down ant the router failover to secondary and after primary wan is back and connected, I cannot user spdmerlin.
The error is:
spdMerlin: ppp0 not up, please check. Skipping speedtest for WAN

Please, do you think is related to router or to spdmerlin?

Thank you very much!
amplatfus

Thank you for last great update.
One older issue I have: after primary wan is down ant the router failover to secondary and after primary wan is back and connected, I cannot user spdmerlin.
The error is:
spdMerlin: ppp0 not up, please check. Skipping speedtest for WAN

Please, do you think is related to router or to spdmerlin?

Thank you very much!
amplatfus
It'll be an spdmerlin thing, I don't currently handle dual WAN

Thanks very much.
I was not sure because primary wan works, but failed only if primary went down for a few minutes while secondary wan was on and restore back to primary (here the primary is not working any more).

All the best!

Never seen it without dips and peaks before! :eek:
upload_2020-5-28_21-11-59.png

Hi,
Are you still finding differences between ookla speedtest app. And spdmerlin (ookla cli) results?

I select on both same server and spdmerlin gives lower speed than android/windows app.

I've sent an e-mail to ookla's cli support e-mail but they never answered it.

I want to use AutoBW, but having almost 50Mbps difference I can't make use of AutoBW

Using S.G.S9+ Duos w/ Tapatalk

Ookla does not care about reports "your tests are too heavy for my router, they are incorrect" :(
My AC68U 1Ghz CPU does not enough juice to run 200/200Mbit test properly. And as much as i like the spdMerlin, i have to remove it, it is no good to me if my router can't run it properly.
Not your fault of course @Jack Yaz , your tool is terrific.

Last edited:
Hi,
Are you still finding differences between ookla speedtest app. And spdmerlin (ookla cli) results?

I select on both same server and spdmerlin gives lower speed than android/windows app.

I've sent an e-mail to ookla's cli support e-mail but they never answered it.

I want to use AutoBW, but having almost 50Mbps difference I can't make use of AutoBW

My AC86U happily tests at 350Mbps down which matches my rated speeds.

Hi,
Did anyone with more than 350mbps manage to see higher dl graphs?

I have 1Gbit/s down but the spdmerlin is stopping at ~350Mbit/s.
I was reading the code and turns out the ookla-cli is writing the download-package into memory - thus it may not really an storage i/o issue. Or - AC66u has slow memory xD!???

And yes I tried several server and yes via app or webpage using cable connection I can reach 600mbit/s 850mbit/s which is okay as there is alot overhead. (Direct wan is quite 1gbit/s and my expectation would be that spdmerlin would be next to the value as it is on the device having the direct wan connection)

Any Idea what I could try out or what could be a real bottleneck?

My AC86U happily tests at 350Mbps down which matches my rated speeds.
My AC88U shows 247-250DL when I have 300mbps connection.

Android app shows 300 without problem. Don't know why spemerlin doesnt

ASUS must use phone CPUs in their routers. I am not joking. I mean top ASUS routers cost quite a lot, why not put in beefier CPU instead of all those stupid "you will get 10% better latency in online games but we won't tell you that your ISP must support it for it to actually work" modes and other marketing crap.

Rt-Ac86u 384.18 Alpha
vpn clients Ivacy/Torguard

my latest speedtest logs:
Please note that uploads/downloads are reversed

Code:
May 30 21:00:01 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Sure Telecom (St Helier, Jersey) for WAN interface
May 30 21:00:32 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 546.36 Mbps (data used: 961.6 MB) - Upload: 846.39 Mbps (data used: 985.8 MB)

May 30 21:00:32 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using using auto-selected server for VPNC1 interface
May 30 21:01:06 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 90.21 Mbps (data used: 151.4 MB) - Upload: 147.73 Mbps (data used: 238.7 MB)

May 30 21:01:06 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using using auto-selected server for VPNC2 interface
May 30 21:01:40 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 29.27 Mbps (data used: 46.5 MB) - Upload: 52.90 Mbps (data used: 79.5 MB)

May 30 21:01:40 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using using auto-selected server for VPNC4 interface
May 30 21:02:12 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 103.28 Mbps (data used: 182.3 MB) - Upload: 125.92 Mbps (data used: 157.0 MB)
ps:
@Jack Yaz thanks for you great work.