What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think I'm having an opposite problem than everyone else. I'm trying to hone in on my correct speeds so I can set FreshJR QoS settings correctly. The spdMerlin tests show (much) higher speeds than speedtest.net or DSLreport. spdMerlin consistently shows 350-400mbs down (what I pay for) and speedtest.net and DSLreports consistently show 1/4 to 1/3rd that, usually 100mbs down or less. Any idea why this may be?

ASUS must use phone CPUs in their routers.
Basically, you’ve got it right on the processing power (radios are another matter). Another comparison would be Raspberry Pi 3 or 3B - compare the specs between one of those and the AC86. Pretty close, except without the RAM. (I’m very much looking forward to my next Asus router, now that the RasPi 4 has an 8GB version for 75USD).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

without QOS, spdmerlins giving me 750Mbit for my 1 Gbit line, with QOS it is only 250-350 on ax88u, and i find it normal.
speedtest from browser over wifi and QOS on is giving 550-750 Mbit

Is this on a window s 10 machine?

Yes. Sorry guys I figured it out with the help of the people over in the QoS thread. My work laptop was somehow connected to my 2.4GHz wifi without me realizing. Connecting to the 5GHz I'm getting advertised speeds of up to 450MBs. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Hi!
I have installed spdMerlin on my venerable RTN16 running John's fork (latest version of LTS Fork, 374.43_44E5j9527) and when I try the first test, the script exits. Then I restart the script and try again, and I get these errors:

Code:
You must accept the license agreements for Speedtest CLI. Do you want to continue? (y/n)
Note: This will require an initial speedtest to run, please be patient
y
cp: can't stat '/tmp/home/root/.config/ookla/speedtest-cli.json': No such file or directory
spdMerlin: Licenses accepted and saved to persistent storage

spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface

/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/ookla/speedtest: line 1: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")
Error: near line 2: near ",": syntax error

spdMerlin: Speedtest results -  -

Downloading http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/mipsel/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg-lists/entware-ng
Package p7zip (16.02-1) installed in root is up to date.
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin: line 1931: /opt/bin/7z: not found
mv: can't rename '/tmp/spdmerlindata.zip': No such file or directory
Press enter to continue...

Looks like a configuration file is not in the right place? I can toggle the location of data with option S but makes no difference. Tried uninstall, and reinstall, reboots... no luck.
Any ideas? I have just installed AMTM, got a 2GB swap set up and the router is working alright. I can see the spdMerlin page just fine, it doesn't have any data and when I try testing from the webui page it does the waiting but nothing is produced either (not surprisingly).

spdMerling runs just fine on my AC68U fortunately! This is my backup setup.
Thanks! I love spdMerlin, it is a fantastic script.

Hi!
I have installed spdMerlin on my venerable RTN16 running John's fork (latest version of LTS Fork, 374.43_44E5j9527) and when I try the first test, the script exits. Then I restart the script and try again, and I get these errors:

Code:
You must accept the license agreements for Speedtest CLI. Do you want to continue? (y/n)
Note: This will require an initial speedtest to run, please be patient
y
cp: can't stat '/tmp/home/root/.config/ookla/speedtest-cli.json': No such file or directory
spdMerlin: Licenses accepted and saved to persistent storage

spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface

/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/ookla/speedtest: line 1: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")
Error: near line 2: near ",": syntax error

spdMerlin: Speedtest results -  -

Downloading http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/mipsel/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg-lists/entware-ng
Package p7zip (16.02-1) installed in root is up to date.
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin: line 1931: /opt/bin/7z: not found
mv: can't rename '/tmp/spdmerlindata.zip': No such file or directory
Press enter to continue...

Looks like a configuration file is not in the right place? I can toggle the location of data with option S but makes no difference. Tried uninstall, and reinstall, reboots... no luck.
Any ideas? I have just installed AMTM, got a 2GB swap set up and the router is working alright. I can see the spdMerlin page just fine, it doesn't have any data and when I try testing from the webui page it does the waiting but nothing is produced either (not surprisingly).

spdMerling runs just fine on my AC68U fortunately! This is my backup setup.
Thanks! I love spdMerlin, it is a fantastic script.
Is that a MIPS router? I knew not adding a check would bite me after the last report

@Jack Yaz any chance the gui reports can also display the loaded latency?
thanks

@Jack Yaz - As I'm playing around with Cake_QoS 1.0.0 now ...

Is it a possibility for spdMerlin to "switch off" cake-qos for the period of the speedtests?

Is that even desirable?

But I gather you must do that already for the built-in Adaptive QoS as my test results seem to exclude it's effect?

Cheers!

What timezone do you have set for your router / system /browser?

My Time zone is AEST
upload_2020-6-26_7-56-14.png

Can you export the CSVs via the WebUI and send them to me please? I'll check if the timestamps are being set correctly or not

OK so that data looks fine. can you check the contents of /www/user/spdmerlin/spdjs.js please?

var DataTimestamp_WAN;
DataTimestamp_WAN = [];
DataTimestamp_WAN.unshift('1593157968','1593157336','1593155540','1593153741','1593151936','1593150140','1593148336','1593146543','1593144751','1593142937');

var DataDownload_WAN;
DataDownload_WAN = [];
DataDownload_WAN.unshift('89.87','92.82','92.64','92.71','92.77','92.66','92.5','76.98','92.28','91.02');

var DataUpload_WAN;
DataUpload_WAN = [];
DataUpload_WAN.unshift('37.59','36.82','37.67','37.48','37.56','37.68','37.65','34.76','35.21','36.48');

function SetSPDStatsTitle(){
document.getElementById("statstitle").innerHTML="Stats last updated: Fri Jun 26 17:52:48 2020\r\n"