What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Jack Yaz hey there. so i was wondering if its possible to add fast.com as an alternate source? . im usually fine with speedtest.net but my new isp has this throttle step thingy where at the start it caps my download to 10mb then after 5 seconds itll go to 20mb and my package which is 50mbps. i can't use speedtest.net since it finishes before the speed reaches the top possible.. although fast.com seems to be whitelisted by this throttle step .. anyways i found out that there are ways to do it in linux etc. I found one with node.js. tried it just now on my ac86u . It all installs fine. But it errors out because it can't launch chrome . So idk.

spdMerlin uses a speedtest official binary to test. Doesn't look like Fast provides anything like that. Perhaps you could try this?

EDIT: I just tried this out on my AX58U with the arm release and it worked. Doesn't seem to be able to max out my plan (100 Mbps), but it did get up to 64.5 Mbps.
Code:
curl -L https://github.com/ddo/fast/releases/download/v0.0.4/fast_linux_arm -o fast
chmod +x fast
./fast

Last edited:
spdMerlin uses a speedtest official binary to test. Doesn't look like Fast provides anything like that. Perhaps you could try this?

EDIT: I just tried this out on my AX58U with the arm release and it worked. Doesn't seem to be able to max out my plan (100 Mbps), but it did get up to 64.5 Mbps.
Code:
curl -L https://github.com/ddo/fast/releases/download/v0.0.4/fast_linux_arm -o fast
chmod +x fast
./fast
Yeah I saw that. But unfortunately it doesn't have the upload support. Another one supports it but doesn't work on our router. Idk. I mean it might be able to provide the download result and speedtest-cli for upload only. But idk if he wants to add it like that ( using fast.com for download source and Speedtest for upload ) . Idk. Although it should work since in my case the isp only do this throttling on the download side..

Hi there!

I am getting this error when I am trying to run a speedtest using any VPN interface, in this case, VPN2 (there is no problem for WAN):

Code:
spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for VPNC2 interface

[2020-10-29 16:01:20.107] [error] Configuration - Couldn't connect to server (Network is unreachable)
[2020-10-29 16:01:20.108] [error] Configuration - Cannot retrieve configuration document (0)
[2020-10-29 16:01:20.108] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)
[2020-10-29 16:01:20.108] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)
[error] Configuration - Could not retrieve or read configuration (ConfigurationError)
Error: near line 2: near ",": syntax error

I removed spdMerlin (including configuration and data) and then I reinstalled, but the problems is still there. Any advice??

I am testing a couple of VPN companies so this script is a must

During your testing I would recommend testing TCP as well as UDP. I have always used UDP as I believe it is theoretically supposed to be faster than TCP but in some brief testing with PIA I found that TCP was peforming better than UDP with their next gen servers. I havn't re-ran the test to confirm but interesting none the less.

Hi there!

I am getting this error when I am trying to run a speedtest using any VPN interface, in this case, VPN2 (there is no problem for WAN):

Code:
spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for VPNC2 interface

[2020-10-29 16:01:20.107] [error] Configuration - Couldn't connect to server (Network is unreachable)
[2020-10-29 16:01:20.108] [error] Configuration - Cannot retrieve configuration document (0)
[error] Configuration - Could not retrieve or read configuration (ConfigurationError)
Error: near line 2: near ",": syntax error

I removed spdMerlin (including configuration and data) and then I reinstalled, but the problems is still there. Any advice??

which VPN provider? that error suggests the ookla speedtest app is blocked from contacting any speedtest servers

which VPN provider? that error suggests the ookla speedtest app is blocked from contacting any speedtest servers

Hi Jack Yaz,

I am testing two VPN providers:

ProtonVPN (VPN client 1 and 2)
CyberGhost (VPN client 3 and 4)

They were working till a few days ago (all of them at the same time)

But now the strange thing is; yesterday I upload a new ovpn from ProtonVPN into the VPN2 client, and now I just realized the speedtest app is working for just this VPN client (#2). The other ones remain with errors

I will do the same with the other VPN clients and I will back wit the outcome

During your testing I would recommend testing TCP as well as UDP. I have always used UDP as I believe it is theoretically supposed to be faster than TCP but in some brief testing with PIA I found that TCP was peforming better than UDP with their next gen servers. I havn't re-ran the test to confirm but interesting none the less.

I will do it! Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone here using spdMerlin with cake qos? I thought I read previously that wasn't a good idea to use it with cake.

Anyone here using spdMerlin with cake qos? I thought I read previously that wasn't a good idea to use it with cake.
Yes. No real problem, though I am using an 80/20Mbit setup. The speeds reported will of course be limited by cake settings, especially Download and Upload speeds. For faster setups the lack of HW acceleration may also be a factor, but at this speed on an AX88-U it is not an issue.

Im not running cake qos at the moment - I did at one point.
I seem to recall in looking at the logs that @Jack Yaz , seeing cake qos was enabled, would disable it for the duration of the speedtest then re-enable.
I don't believe it is an issue assuming the latest cake-qos and spdMerlin.