What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi all,

Just came to install this on my RTAC88U but was met with the following:

-------
No swap file detected!

Entware not detected!

Requirements for spdMerlin not met, please see above for the reason(s)
-------

Im currently running with Merlin FW 386.2_6 but I do also have NextDNS CLi running, im wondering if that is whats causing an issue.

Would anyone be able to advise?

Kind regards
You need to install Entware (i recommend using amtm) and create a swap file (also in amtm)

You'll have to plug a 4gb or larger USB stick/drive into the router if you haven't already

v4.3.0 is now available

If updating via WebUI you will need to refresh the page after updating and waiting a minute while the new format chart data is generated

Changelog:

• NEW: Choice of data aggregation for charts in WebUI: raw, hourly and daily
  • NEW: Speedtest server names and IDs are logged and displayed in recent results tables
  • NEW: Show output from latest AutoBW run in WebUI
  • IMPROVED: Use of keyboard keys d,r,l,f for chart functions (drag zoom, reset zoom, toggle lines, toggle fill)
  • IMPROVED: Use of indexes in database for small performance increases
  • REMOVED: Setting toggle for raw vs. average
  • NEW: Configure how long data is kept in the database
  • NEW: Configure how many recent results are displayed in the WebUI
  • IMPROVED: CPU intensive tasks are now run with a lower priority to minimise hogging the CPU
  • IMPROVED: Recent speedtest results table in WebUI is now sortable and scrollable

Hi @Jack Yaz , can hide the Save button under script configuration? :D

1626797476936.png

spdMerlin does a good job disabling QoS temporarily for speed tests. Has anyone figured out way to make spdMerlin work when router defaults to VPN using force internet traffic through VPN: Yes?

spdMerlin does a good job disabling QoS temporarily for speed tests. Has anyone figured out way to make spdMerlin work when router defaults to VPN using force internet traffic through VPN: Yes?
I don't use QoS but then isn't spdMerlin has the option to choose which interface to run speedtest? You can choose from WAN, VPNC1, VPNC2, all the way up to VPNC5. I keep it automatic run on both WAN and VPNC. By doing this I can easily see when there is slowdown in Internet speed, is it due to ISP or VPN provider.

Yes, but I need it to work on WAN temporarily just to get AutoBW stuff to work.

@Jack Yaz the amtm installation script is slightly broken in that you get an endless loop when it asks you to confirm yes to the licence stuff, and then when you hit no to circumvent endless loop, you get another endless loop of speed tests - that's what I got today on completely fresh install using the new 386_3 and building up everything from scratch again. I presume at least by this point everything has been installed and set up correctly so ctrl-c on these loops is no problem?

Log from installation:

Last edited:
Yes, but I need it to work on WAN temporarily just to get AutoBW stuff to work.

@Jack Yaz the amtm installation script is slightly broken in that you get an endless loop when it asks you to confirm yes to the licence stuff, and then when you hit no to circumvent endless loop, you get another endless loop of speed tests - that's what I got today on completely fresh install using the new 386_3 and building up everything from scratch again. I presume at least by this point everything has been installed and set up correctly so ctrl-c on these loops is no problem?

Log from installation:

Not seeing this on a 68U which i just upgraded and reset.what other scripts are you running?

<snip>,,, @Jack Yaz the amtm installation script is slightly broken in that you get an endless loop when it asks you to confirm yes to the licence stuff, and then when you hit no to circumvent endless loop, you get another endless loop of speed tests... ,snip>...
I can confirm this as well - and it's been happening long before 386_3... one day while I was yelling 'wtf' at the screen and license accept script in spdMerlin, I hit yy real fast (out of frustration) and it confirmed the license - and I moved on... I figured Jack would get around to it eventually - or I was doing something stupid...

It was an ax86u running 386.2_3... running putty... (happened on all three x86 units)...

Last edited:
I can confirm this as well - and it's been happening long before 386_3... one day while I was yelling 'wtf' at the screen and license accept script in spdMerlin, I hit yy real fast (out of frustration) and it confirmed the license - and I moved on... I figured Jack would get around to it eventually - or I was doing something stupid...

It was an ax86u running 386.2_3... running putty... (happened on all three x86 units)...
really bizarre, as i've just wiped and reinstalled on AC86U and AC68U five times and don't see this happening at all

really bizarre, as i've just wiped and reinstalled on AC86U and AC68U five times and don't see this happening at all
no matter - the ax86u still does some bizarre stuff... if I recall the ax88(s) didn't do it - just the ax86(s)... same symptoms (weird on x86, not x88) of another bug (improper unmount of usb drive) that @ColinTaylor helped myself and others, by running it to ground last month...

no matter - the ax86u still does some bizarre stuff... if I recall the ax88(s) didn't do it - just the ax86(s)... same symptoms (weird on x86, not x88) of another bug (improper unmount of usb drive) that @ColinTaylor helped myself and others, by running it to ground last month...
i've decided to do away with my manual licensing stuff anyway, and move acceptance to the install prompt as a simple yes/no

Installed spdMerlin after Diversion on RT-AX86u. Just ssh'ed from windows. Everything seems to work fine - I presume at this point in the installation script it doesn't matter, or?

Any way to bypass the: Force Internet traffic over VPN: yes mode?

Last edited:
Installed spdMerlin after Diversion on RT-AX86u. Just ssh'ed from windows. Everything seems to work fine - I presume at this point in the installation script it doesn't matter, or?
you'll probably see some nags about licenses but that will disappear in v4.4.0
Any way to bypass the: Force Internet traffic over VPN: yes mode?
I'm coming up blanks on ideas. redirect YES instructs the routing table for all clients to look up routes in the defined VPN client. while port based routing (using fwmark) is possible, connections are typically using standard ports,. i suppose a tempory route divert for
  • TCP/UDP inbound/outbound port 8080 (OoklaServer)
  • TCP/UDP inbound/outbound port 5060 (OoklaServer)
might be possible?

Hi folks, I've been fault finding an upstream problem with my ISP and ended up installing spdMerlin to my AX88U to help. I'm now at the point of generating speed figures with QoS running so I've activated Adaptive QoS and installed FlexQoS. Upstream and downstream limits are set at 95% of my max speeds (1000/50). I'm not using spdMerlin to update these limits. Now the issue....

Without QoS operating, spdMerlin reports near identical figures to Speedtest.net when run from a browser. However, once I turn QoS on, spdMerlin reports a downstream figure that is around 200-300Mbps slower than what the browser reports (example here (spdMerlin) and here (browser). This testing was done with spdMerlin excluded from QoS. Howver, when I run spdMerlin again with it included in QoS, the downstream speed increases by ~100Mbps but this is still less than what the browser reports. The speed returns to normal once QoS is deactivated.

Am I doing something wrong here with QoS (highly possible as I've never used QoS and don't really need to but the ISP believes using it will address the network provider's policer issues)or could this be a bug?