What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Jack Yaz

I've noticed possibly another bug in 4.4.0/4.4.1 - didn't notice it yesterday but ...
I have "Toggle storage of speedtest result URLs" turned on and have had for some time.
Looks like these are no longer displayed (and maybe stored?) since the update from 4.3.0 to 4.4.0.
I've tried toggling it off and on again to see if it made any difference but no joy ...
As you can see from pic below, they suddenly stopped after upgrade, which was just prior to 0700 yesterday (Sydney time)

Google Chromerouter.asus.comspdMerlin - Google ChromeScreen Shot 6 Aug 2021 at 10.31.12.jpg

@Jack Yaz

I've noticed possibly another bug in 4.4.0/4.4.1 - didn't notice it yesterday but ...
I have "Toggle storage of speedtest result URLs" turned on and have had for some time.
Looks like these are no longer displayed (and maybe stored?) since the update from 4.3.0 to 4.4.0.
I've tried toggling it off and on again to see if it made any difference but no joy ...
As you can see from pic below, they suddenly stopped after upgrade, which was just prior to 0700 yesterday (Sydney time)

View attachment 35477
It's possible that the built in speedtest doesn't offer the result url. I'll have to check

It's possible that the built in speedtest doesn't offer the result url. I'll have to check
@Stephen Harrington ho-hum, the built-in ookla doesn't cough up the URL at all, this seems only available in the user downloadable binary

i guess I have a decision to make:

1) let the user choose which version of the speedtest they use,rather than hardcoding it based on their router capabilities
2) leave as-is but disable result URL feature when using built-in

option 1 sounds better for the user...

i guess I have a decision to make:

@Jack Yaz

It's your plugin so you can be a benign Benevolent Dictator any time you like :)

1) Would certainly give more options to more people I guess - although I've had the result URL's being stored, I've never actually clicked on one.
Was working on the Why Not theory, as in "the more info the better" but ...

Last edited:
Shouldn’t that be "benevolent dictator"?

I knew @Stephen Harrington's answer was a little too benign, but could not put my finger on the why.

I'll give in to the majority ... brain is not working too well clearly! :)

Hi, I have an AC68U, and spdMerlin seems to bottleneck on 300mbps. Is this a hardware limitation? I get 500mbps+ when testing through WiFi...

Welcome to the forums @IceTea.

Yes, hardware limitation. Do you have any other features/options running on the router too?

Is hardware acceleration disabled? Check under the Tools, Network section to (possibly) see why.

Welcome to the forums @IceTea.

Yes, hardware limitation. Do you have any other features/options running on the router too?

Is hardware acceleration disabled? Check under the Tools, Network section to (possibly) see why.
Hardware acceleration is enabled. The only other thing I run is the connmon.

Then this is a hardware limitation.

To make double-sure, disable connmon, and run spdMerlin. If the results are effectively the same, it's the router.

Curious, is this the one with the 800MHz dual-core CPU, or one of the newer iterations?

Then this is a hardware limitation.

To make double-sure, disable connmon, and run spdMerlin. If the results are effectively the same, it's the router.

Curious, is this the one with the 800MHz dual-core CPU, or one of the newer iterations?
This is the BCM470x - Cortex A7 ARMv7 revision 0 - Rev. c0 (Cores: 2) CPU variant. I have dabbled in overclocking it before, but I don't know how much it will help. Also, the memory might also be a bottleneck. Ah well, might just be time to get a better router. Any recs?

Last edited:
For myself, the 'only' models to consider today (in order) are the RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, or the RT-AX86U.

Any of the above will give current standards performance up to a 1Gbps connection (not with 'every' option enabled, of course), along with the tweaks and scripts that RMerlin and amtm provide.

The RT-AX86U is best-of-class as of now. Particularly for a wired backhaul connection via their 2.5GbE ports on AiMesh v2.0.

@Jack Yaz

Is it possible there is a new bug in version 4.4.1? I can speed test my VPN, but it never plots it on the Graph like it would for WAN....
I reset my router yesterday and re-configured from scratch, un-installed and re-installed spdmerlin, and confirmed the VPN is active and routing traffic for my mobile device using VPN Director. (It's not set to route all traffic at the moment, but setting to "All" made no difference either.)
Also tried different test settings, like choosing a Server, Auto-selecting a server, changing Unix time or Storage Location to jffs or USB made no difference for me.

This thread is locked for me due to being 6+ months old or having more than 500+ replies...
I posted my question here: VPN + Cake + SpdMerlin + VPNMgr (VPN Graph not updating on WebUI) | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

Attachments

• 1628483718876.png
    1628483718876.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 808
  • 1628483755007.png
    1628483755007.png
    267.8 KB · Views: 784
Last edited:
@Jack Yaz

Is it possible there is a new bug in version 4.4.1? I can speed test my VPN, but it never plots it on the Graphic like it would for WAN....
I reset my router yesterday and re-configured from scratch, un-installed and re-installed spdmerlin, and confirmed the VPN is active and routing traffic for my mobile device using VPN Director. (It's not set to route all traffic at the moment, but setting to "All" made no difference either.)
Also tried different test settings, like choosing a Server, Auto-selecting a server, changing Unix time or Storage Location to jffs or USB made no difference for me.

This worked before... I can't think of anything I am doing wrong. A bug is my only thought that comes to mind...

View attachment 35586

View attachment 35587
Seems to be working here. Can you try at the command line and let me know if any errors are shown?