What's new

Stubby-Installer-Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does "opkg update" work when manually run? If not that indicates a problem with entware in general.
Does not work manually either. Somehow, in either Skynet or Diversion, bin.net.entware was blocked. I whitelisted it to resolve. Possibly add output from script to show attempt to update entware package list.

Thanks.

Does not work manually either. Somehow, in either Skynet or Diversion, bin.net.entware was blocked. I whitelisted it to resolve. Possibly add output from script to show attempt to update entware package list.

Thanks.
For the upcoming Diversion 4.0.7, I've added bin.entware.net and pkg.entware.net to the default whitelist in the blocking list updater. They will be whitelisted in Skynet through the shared whitelist automatically.

For the upcoming Diversion 4.0.7, I've added bin.entware.net and pkg.entware.net to the default whitelist in the blocking list updater. They will be whitelisted in Skynet through the shared whitelist automatically.

Ditto on my end for Skynet.

Hello, @Xentrk Your work is great, I used two days to follow your footsteps and I read everything about you how to make this script, So, I think I almost understood the process, and today I want to make "Stubby" work on my router.

I tried for seven hours, tried default value, tried re-installdo entware, do again and again, but not luck, in "ps" I can see that it is working, but can't parsing any URLs.
Finally I found the key. I will mount JFFS to USB for protect my flash, because the wiki said:

When I don't do it, it works like magic.

However, I really don't want to use JFFS flash chip, can you help me?

This is my code for JFFS to USB.
Code:
cp -fr /jffs/* /tmp/mnt/sda1/jffs/; mount /jffs; mount -o rbind /tmp/mnt/sda1/jffs /jffs
I saved it in the nvram
Code:
nvram script_usbmount=""

My router is RT-AC68U run Asuswrt-Merlin 384.8_2, my usb flash is ext2 format, Please any help.
You answered your own question -- "real" /jffs access is required!

Last edited:
I will mount JFFS to USB for protect my flash, because the wiki said:

The chances of a regular user like yourself burning out the flash is next to impossible. Flash chips these days are designed with incredibly high write cycles and are hardly used on these devices.

Thank you for the reply, You are right, but I will mount JFFS to my USB flash drive, It should work, because I saw that my JFFS has 8GB in "df -h", The real problem is why the "Stubby" only work on the router flash, way not for the USB flash? I can't understand it.

You are right, but my JFFS has a bad block, and I enjoy when I pull out the USB flash drive It like a virgin. ;)

Mounting your JFFS partition to your USB can only lead to issues in my eyes. First of many being the router trying to access jffs contents before the USB is even mounted.

OK, I have Stubby installer coded into my local version of amtm 1.7.
But I have one more thing up my sleeve, and I want it (re)integrated in amtm: A proper Entware installer that is compatible with Diversion and not destructive as the Asuswrt-Merlin built in entware-setup.sh.
So you all just have to wait a little while longer.

The https://github.com/Xentrk/Stubby-Installer-Asuswrt-Merlin Project has now been posted on https://dnsprivacy.org:

https://dnsprivacy.org/wiki/display/DP/DNS+Privacy+-+Current+Work
upload_2019-1-26_16-44-58.png

https://dnsprivacy.org/wiki/display/DP/DNS+Privacy+Clients#DNSPrivacyClients-Routers

upload_2019-1-26_16-44-8.png

Thank you to the DNS Privacy Team for adding the project to their wiki and thank you to everyone who contributed to the project on Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware.

Yes!!;):)

Interesting "issue" after installing Stubby ex amtm [to do with stubby - not the latter] ... in using Asus DDNS get frequent [every 5 seconds or so] log reports of ...

rc_service: service 30475:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt

Fixed by going to Webgui > WAN > DDNS > "Apply" button [without making any changes] - which forces an update of dynamic public ip to letsencrypt certificate [I assume]. No more restarts of letsencrypt.

Guys, I'm a beginner.

I already installed stubby through amtm.
I would like to use cleanbrowsing adult.
How can I do it?

thank you.

Guys, I'm a beginner.

I already installed stubby through amtm.
I would like to use cleanbrowsing adult.
How can I do it?

thank you.
Hypothetically, you would replace the address_data and tls_auth_name Cloudflare entries in stubby.yml with Cleanbrowsing entries. However, it does not work. You will have no DNS at all. I have not figured out yet how to get debugging output.

Hypothetically, you would replace the address_data and tls_auth_name Cloudflare entries in stubby.yml with Cleanbrowsing entries. However, it does not work. You will have no DNS at all. I have not figured out yet how to get debugging output.

I did as you mentioned and it did not really work, as you already said.

Is it not possible to use with cleanbrowsing?

My router is the RT-AC86U, using the last stable firmware of merlin.

cc @Xentrk

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Cleanbrowsing, does it claim to support DoT? Stubby only works with DoT, that's its reason for existence.

I have settings for cleanbrowsing and will post them later.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Edit
Code:
# # Cleanbrowsing-Security
  - address_data: 185.228.168.9
    tls_auth_name: "security-filter-dns.cleanbrowsing.org"

- address_data: 185.228.169.9

- address_data: 2a0d:2a00:1::2

- address_data: 2a0d:2a00:2::2