What's new

Sudden plummet in upload speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D._Manley

Occasional Visitor
Here's the gist of things. ISP is Comcast on a 75 Mbps plan, modem is a recent vintage Moto 6141 & router is an AC68U running the 374.XXX fork based on Merlin's firmware. I keep a pretty close watch on things & run a speed test at least, weekly. My normal speeds on 2 different ethernet connected PC's is 80+ down & 12+/13+ up. Wireless 5G is virtually as good as ethernet and 2.4 only slightly slower.

Today, I noticed MS Windows updates taking forever to scan (for updates) & finally just closed out to run a speed test. Results were very erratic but although download speed was significantly lower than normal it was still quite serviceable. On the upload side (necessary for Windows Update to scan), the bottom dropped out - running from 1+ Mbps to 3 Mbps. This holds true for both the ethernet connected computers & all wireless devices. Ping speed @ several locations are excellent.

A few hours afterwards the download speeds seem to have stabilized & as far as I can tell, are at or near what I'm accustomed to seeing. Upload speeds remains almost nonexistent.

I have done the usual stuff, recycling both modem & router a few times with no change. I'm sure you can guess how a call to Comcast went so I'll pass on that but let's just say they don't see a problem.

I tend to think the problem is off-site & lies with Comcast. I've made zero changes to anything & my setup has been rock solid on John's fork. Can any of you guys here that are smarter than I am point me in the right direction. What would make upload speed tank & not impact download speeds?

Have you tested directly connected to your modem? Sounds like your ISP though..
Thanks for the tip. I would have gave it a try but the issue resolved itself overnight & is back to normal this morning. I know "stuff happens" but you'd think Comcast would have some way to detect when an area is experiencing a problem. Sorry for wasting your time but Comcast was adamant that everything looked good on their end. The last time I experienced a problem they scheduled a service call for me when in fact, a neighbor down a block or so away had let a brush fire get up too high and partially burned through the feed line to the street.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!