What's new

Suggestion / Request: DDNS Name

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fletchni

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a suggestion / request regarding the DDNS Name of the router, which shows up on the Network Map page and which the ASUS iPhone AiCloud app uses.
  1. For DDNS I use the wonderful DNS-O-Matic service from OpenDNS (www.dnsomatic.com).
  2. This enables me to update more than one DDNS service (DNS-O-Matic can be configured to update several clients once the ASUS router has updated it).
    1. In particular, I use this for updating my main DDNS service provider AND updating OpenDNS so I can have control and logging of my DNS service.
  3. The problem is that my router thinks its address is the address used for DNS-O-Matic:
    all.dnsomatic.com
    1. But this is just the common address for updating DNS-O-Matic, so it is useless and irrelevant to have this as the address for my router.
  4. While it is possible to update AiCloud iOS app to the correct address, it's not that easy, and it just feels wrong to have the wrong name on my Network Map page.
I know it is possible to write a script that could update several DDNS services, but this is beyond many of us users (certainly me).

I also know the solution night not be straight forward, but I think there should be an option where we can set our own address of the router, and not rely on the DDNS version. I'm not sure if the router tries to check the address (there is always a short delay when landing on the Network Map page before the DDNS address appears.

Thanks for reading,

Nic.

Hi,

I have a suggestion / request regarding the DDNS Name of the router, which shows up on the Network Map page and which the ASUS iPhone AiCloud app uses.
  1. For DDNS I use the wonderful DNS-O-Matic service from OpenDNS (www.dnsomatic.com).
  2. This enables me to update more than one DDNS service (DNS-O-Matic can be configured to update several clients once the ASUS router has updated it).
    1. In particular, I use this for updating my main DDNS service provider AND updating OpenDNS so I can have control and logging of my DNS service.
  3. The problem is that my router thinks its address is the address used for DNS-O-Matic:
    all.dnsomatic.com
    1. But this is just the common address for updating DNS-O-Matic, so it is useless and irrelevant to have this as the address for my router.
  4. While it is possible to update AiCloud iOS app to the correct address, it's not that easy, and it just feels wrong to have the wrong name on my Network Map page.
I know it is possible to write a script that could update several DDNS services, but this is beyond many of us users (certainly me).

I also know the solution night not be straight forward, but I think there should be an option where we can set our own address of the router, and not rely on the DDNS version. I'm not sure if the router tries to check the address (there is always a short delay when landing on the Network Map page before the DDNS address appears.

Thanks for reading,

Nic.

Like you I dislike the way that hostname is displayed on the network map page as well as how it gets used by the other applications, AiCloud and OpenVPN server. So I did some more research today and the solution I found is relatively simple, instead of using the built-in DDNS server options, choose the custom option on the DDNS page. You can then fill in the host name you want to show. You'll need to then setup the DDNS custom script entry for the provider you want to use shown here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-DDNS

Initially I used NameCheap as that's what I was using for DDNS, so was easy to setup and worked right away. I knew you were using DNS-O-Matic so adapted the sample scripts there for use with DNS-O-Matic and I'll update that wiki page tomorrow. One thing that I discovered while testing the script was that it looks like they only allow updates once every 5 minutes to their server so ended up scraping stuff that originally worked.

I'll post here again once I've updated the wiki entry.

New wiki entry for DNS-O-Matic is here.

Any suggestions?

To follow up on @kvic 's suggestion, try inserting this line before the https statement (of course this will change USERNAME so it it's used again later, you should make a new variable)
Code:
USERNAME=$(sed 's/@/%40/g'<<< $USERNAME)

%40 helped me.
I will try the other solution as well, since I'm curious about the difference.

Thank you very much.

I believe you can just manually update this in the hostname section of the DDNS page on the webui for dnsomatic.com and select wildcard. This works fine for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!